• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 06 June 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

BEGINNINGS!

My ‘tribute’ screen today is to Kurunfinwe’s crazy year & taken from the fast-paced Intro of Discworld Noir(1999) which Kurunfinwe mentioned was a “great game…” in his post on Wednesday 15 August 2012

Lewton, the protagonist of the game, is fervently trying to flee from a relentless pursuer - the screen above only appears for a fraction of a second so hence the: ugly blurry lovely ‘Impressionist painting’ look of it! Laughing 

The Intro concludes with these wonderful lines:
“I’ve had some bad days since I started work as a private investigator, but I’ve never woken up dead before. It all started the week before, on a cold and wet Sektober day in Ankh-Morpork, the oldest and most depraved of all the cities on the Discworld but, hey, you’ve got to love it.” which immediately draws you into wanting to know what happened!

I originally played the PS1 version (2000) & loved everything about the game - the plot, the music, the bizarre characters & voice acting, the film noir parody, the atmosphere etc etc! Yes! I agree Kurunfinwe - it’s a great game!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

A fantastic intro to one of my favorite games.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Adventure games hardly (if ever) get better than DN.

Great game I’ve played a couple of times.
Just my kind of game, I suppose.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One of the many playthroughs I’ve finished.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Another all time classic favorite!!
One of the best humorous adventures of all time in my list (along with Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon and The Curse of MI)

Chrissie, was there any specific reason you prefered the PS1 version instead of the PC one? Are there any differences in terms of quality? (resolution, etc)

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

What a messy screenshot. I guess it means something for those who played the game, but I can’t make heads or tails of what is going on there.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Another jewel that everyone must play. I just loved Lewton sarcastic humor.

@Doom: I guess the screen was taked from in-game. It was a motion image so that’s why is blur.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 06 June 2014 07:18 AM

What a messy screenshot. I guess it means something for those who played the game, but I can’t make heads or tails of what is going on there.

Protagonist Lewton is being chased in the intro. By someone or something unknown. The intro takes the perspective of the pursuer. The whole chase is blurry.

And you should really play it. Don’t miss one of the great adventures.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thank you for your kind explanation. I guess it makes sense if it was supposed to be blurry. But the screen still looks ugly. For some reason the game is often illustrated with such unattractive screenshots, even though it looks quite nice in Mobygames database, for example.

Karlok - 06 June 2014 07:53 AM

And you should really play it. Don’t miss one of the great adventures.  Thumbs Up

I tried, but it won’t work on my laptop Foot in mouth And with all the praise the game gets I don’t want to watch a Youtube playthrough. My only hope is that GOG will release it someday.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Doom - 06 June 2014 08:14 AM

it won’t work on my laptop

Check this thread for technical help. It works fine on XP.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 06 June 2014 06:30 AM

Chrissie, was there any specific reason you prefered the PS1 version instead of the PC one? Are there any differences in terms of quality? (resolution, etc)

I only ever played the PS1 version Sefir as I never had access to a PC (at home) until 2000 & had no idea of the wealth of games that were available at the time! So, I don’t know about the differences in quality for the game between PS1 & PC but would guess that the quality is always going to be better on a consol unless you have a high end PC that can compete with the processing power? 

Doom - 06 June 2014 07:18 AM

That’s a fair comment Doom & I omitted some explanation in my post wrongly thinking that every adventure gamer in the whole world had played this!

UruBoo - 06 June 2014 07:37 AM

@Doom: I guess the screen was taked from in-game. It was a motion image so that’s why is blur.

Unfortunately I couldn’t capture a screen directly from my PS1 game as I don’t have the facility to do it so had to rely on You Tube otherwise possibly the quality may have been better?

Karlok - 06 June 2014 07:53 AM

Protagonist Lewton is being chased in the intro. By someone or something unknown. The intro takes the perspective of the pursuer. The whole chase is blurry.

Thanks Karlok for explaining! Yes! most of the intro could be described as ‘messy’ which did include 1 or 2 clear screenshots, other than Lewton being pursued, which I could have posted but thought my shot was more relevant to leading into the story. I’ll now edit my 1st post!

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

zobraks - 06 June 2014 08:20 AM
Doom - 06 June 2014 08:14 AM

it won’t work on my laptop

Check this thread for technical help. It works fine on XP.

I have a 64-bit Windows 7, so it’s very tricky to impossible to launch some older Windows games. Discworld doesn’t work even in a windowed mode. And I recall I tried to launch it back when I had XP, also without much success. It instantly needs a re-release.

chrissie - 06 June 2014 09:15 AM

That’s a fair comment Doom & I omitted some explanation in my post wrongly thinking that every adventure gamer in the whole world had played this!

As I mentioned, it’s hard to make it work these days, and I’m not sure it was much of a hit back in 1999. I’m also not a big fan of Discworld games (I like Pratchett though). I think writing and humour in the first two is much inferior to the novels.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom, Discworld Noir is different from the first two DW games, humorwise too.  IMO.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 06 June 2014 09:50 AM

Discworld Noir is different from the first two DW games, humorwise too.  IMO.

It’s much, much, much,... better than the first Discworld game (not sure about the second, I haven’t finished it).

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Interestingly Discworld Noir was not based on one of Terry Pratchett’s novels. The man himself had some input into the game but although some familiar characters & locations are used it was apparently a completely original creation!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top