• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyCharophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 01 June 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Bastich, thank you so much for your commitment and your awesome 369 (!) AGSotD pics. Your daily thread was always the first one I looked at. You made games I’d never heard of sound so intriguing that I went to amazon or ebay to buy and play some of them. Nobody here has played as many adventures as you, nobody knows as much about them. I really hope you will keep sharing your knowledge and will comment on future screenshots!

God and AG willing, Chrissie and I will continue the AGSotD tradition for another year. We talked it over and agreed that for the most part we want to post screenshots from adventures that haven’t been used already by Bastich and Kurufinwe. Hard, but hopefully not impossible. Every adventure deserves to be in the spotlight at least once. Smile As Chrissie once posted: There’s such an enormous amount of work that goes into even just “mediocre”. But of course we will also have special Theme Weeks featuring old friends. As a matter of fact, one of these Theme Weeks is starting right now:

BEGINNINGS!

What better way to start than with screens from opening cut scenes and intros? As a tribute to Bastich and Kurufinwe we will post screens from some of their favorite games. 

It goes without saying that the first one is for Bastich, who *heartily* recommended the horrifying horror game I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream  in his Goregasm Month.

For one hundred and nine years I have tortured you. And for one hundred and nine years you wondered: WHY ME? WHY ME?

I can’t think of a more terrifying and depressing introduction. Turns your blood to ice. The first time I listened to AM’s long monologue I had second thoughts about playing IHNMAIMS. Good thing I read a couple of positive reviews. It’s a great (flawed) game and I enjoyed it, gore and all. But I still find the cruelty and sadism of the intro appalling.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

If I had a choice, I’d pick the third cage - it looks like a jackpot machine. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 01 June 2014 03:20 AM

369 (!) AGSotD pics. ... we want to post screenshots from adventures that haven’t been used already by Bastich and Kurufinwe. Hard, but hopefully not impossible.

I know about (nearly) 2,000 (AG) titles. So, 2000 - (369 + X) = ...
X = adventure games done by Kurufinwe
I presume X < 400, so you guys have at least 1,000 AGs to cover.
Good luck!

P.S. Check this thread & its resurrection and you’ll find a lot of material to write about.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

On the other hand, AGSOTD is probably a little more of a way to spark the conversation on a certain game than the game database with the ultimate goal of collecting all games there is, so repetition is fine with me.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 01 June 2014 05:12 AM

I know about (nearly) 2,000 (AG) titles.

WHAT?!? Where on earth did you find two thousand titles? Oh please, send me your list! Pretty please?

P.S. Check this thread & its resurrection and you’ll find a lot of material to write about.

Right… that’s 381 + 205 pages to read. The list you are going to send me will be much shorter.  Tongue

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 01 June 2014 05:15 AM

On the other hand, AGSOTD is probably a little more of a way to spark the conversation on a certain game than the game database with the ultimate goal of collecting all games there is, so repetition is fine with me.

Unused is not the same as unknown. 
And there will be repetition. Or hadn’t you heard of IHNMAIMS?  Tongue

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 01 June 2014 05:23 AM
zobraks - 01 June 2014 05:12 AM

I know about (nearly) 2,000 (AG) titles.

WHAT?!? Where on earth did you find two thousand titles? Oh please, send me your list! Pretty please?

I’d rather send you my liver than that list*. Crazy Sorry.
* It took me years to compile it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Why don’t you ask one of the AG site admins to sent you an overview of the Games A-Z database?
There must be a fair number of games in there aswel, maybe as close as Zobraks list.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Subbi, I have already compiled a list of unused games. Smile
Together Chrissie and I have played a fair number, but of course we are no Bastich.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

First of all, congratulations for the hard work that you Karlok and Chrissie took on your backs. You see really dedicated to your cause and we all wish your success.

Secondly, IHNMAIMS is one of my favorite AGs. The quote “I have a secret game that I would like to play. It’s a very nice game. Oh, It’s a lovely game. It’s a game of fun and a game of adventure! A game of rats and lice and the Black Death! A game of speared eyeballs and dripping guts and the smell of rotting gardenias! Which of you five would like to play my little game?” still brings me shivers and it is impossible to bring it into my mind without Harlan Ellison’s voice.

I also remember the strange coincidence (?) when it was announced for GOG just a day before the voting ending that resulted in its playthough! Innocent

diego - 01 June 2014 05:04 AM

If I had a choice, I’d pick the third cage - it looks like a jackpot machine. Smile

Burned in an oven. Interesting choice.

EDIT: I really don’t mind if you post screens of games already presented. What really matters for me is interesting screenshots or screenshots that steer a discussion. Like this one! No need to turn into a Bastich!  Grin

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks, Sefir. Smile

Nothing is written in stone. But it will be hard to please everyone. I do plan on posting screenshots from every game I have played that hasn’t been used by Kurufinwe and Bastich. Some obscure, some well-known. Don’t worry, I haven’t played 365 unused games.* So there’ll be plenty of room for recycling.

*I happen to know Chrissie hasn’t either.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 01 June 2014 06:39 AM

First of all, congratulations for the hard work that you Karlok and Chrissie took on your backs. You see really dedicated to your cause and we all wish your success.

Your encouragement is really appreciated Sefir so thank you! It’s not really something I’d thought about doing until Karlok suggested it & then I thought why not - I’d love to! Unfortunately I can only commit to posting 2 days a week so the bigger onus is on Karlok!

EDIT: I really don’t mind if you post screens of games already presented. What really matters for me is interesting screenshots or screenshots that steer a discussion. Like this one! No need to turn into a Bastich!  Grin

No! Bastich’s year of screenshots was a very unique experience! But hopefully Karlok & myself who, apart from a few have played very different games, between us can offer a broad spectrum of our experiences - hopefully to provoke at least a few comments!

I don’t think I would ever have played IHNMAIMS myself if it hadn’t been for the CPT here -  as horrible as it was in a lot of ways (the game not the CPT) I found the story so weirdly fascinating!   

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Looking forward to seeing where this series will progress.

Good luck!

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top