• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG’s Rock Community

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 05 April 2014 03:36 PM

Funny you should mention Opeth. Big Porcupine Tree fan myself… Wink

Thumbs Up Have you heard Anathema?

Lucien21 - 05 April 2014 05:14 PM

Japan does Metal

They sure do. Some of it is even extremely goodWink

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sage - 22 February 2014 02:45 AM

It’s been a driving rhythm kind of day today, so no weird cover, just classic rock at it’s finest:

(By the way, if you suffer from motion sickness you might want to pop a Dramamine before watching this video)

Uriah Heep- Easy Living
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLH9kiWf2E

I love listening to some of Uriah Heep - I do like ‘Easy living’ but this is my favourite:
Uriah Heep

No! it’s not my favourite as I forgot about this one: Wizard

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I largly missed the 70’s being a preteen at the time.

I guess my era is the 80’s

Early Metallica, Guns n Roses, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Motley Crue etc were all in my wheelhouse.

But at the time it was denim jackets with Eddie patches that rocked the neighbourhood.

Iron Maiden Rules.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 06 April 2014 10:51 AM

I’ve just realised this thread was here! I love such a variety of music but I’m surprised seeing the guitarist’s quiz (or I missed him?) that the great (possibly underrated? Rory Gallagher) wasn’t included! He is my favourite musician & I love just about everything he does but this is one of my favourites:

Rory

You’re right, he should be included. My dad was a huge fan (Rory was probably his favourite after Stevie Ray Vaughan), which got me interested as well. Smile

Henke - 06 April 2014 11:35 AM

Saw them at the Graspop Metal Meeting a decade ago. One of the best acts on the festival that year, after personal favourites In Extremo and after the absolute best band performance I’ve ever seen at a festival - Judas Priest! (Maiden came awfully close a year later, though). Smile

Lucien21 - 06 April 2014 12:05 PM

I largly missed the 70’s being a preteen at the time.

I guess my era is the 80’s

Early Metallica, Guns n Roses, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Motley Crue etc were all in my wheelhouse.

My era’s the 90s, but since my dad was big rock music lover, I’m well versed in the 70s and 80s as well. I practically grew up on Led Zeppelin, Queen, Judas Priest and Pink Floyd. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Iron Maiden Rules.

The band that evoke my interest in music in the very beginning of the 90s (I was 10 years old at the time).

Early Metallica

The first four albums are great. The black album and the two Load-albums are good but they really lost it after that. St Anger is downright terrible IMO.

Have you listened to Celtic Frost?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Henke - 06 April 2014 01:38 PM

The first four albums are great. The black album and the two Load-albums are good but they really lost it after that. St Anger is downright terrible IMO.

You can’t imagine how glad I am to read this. I got a lot of flack amongst my friends for shooting St. Anger down as BY FAR the worst Metallica album ever - it’s just a lot of noise made by Lars Ulrich imo.
Most of my friends consider that album “a return to form” for Metallica. I consider it the point where they lost me as a fan…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Iron Maiden Rules.

I was also a huge Iron Maiden fan back in the 80’s, but I think my two favourite songs are Hallowed Be Thy Name and Rime of the Ancient Mariner, especially the part after a quiet sequence in the middle, where they start to go upbeat again is brilliant.

Edit: Also, Live After Death has to be one of best live albums ever recorded in the history of music!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Have anyone listened to Ghost B.C.?

They sound like an updated version of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond with more Black Sabbath influences and sprinkled with pop from the 60’s and 70’s like Beatles and Blue Oyster Cult. They have also adopted an image taken from the Black metal scene to their rather soft music which (among other things) includes keeping the identity of the band members a secret. Cool

TimovieMan - 06 April 2014 01:35 PM
Henke - 06 April 2014 11:35 AM

Saw them at the Graspop Metal Meeting a decade ago. One of the best acts on the festival that year, after personal favourites In Extremo and after the absolute best band performance I’ve ever seen at a festival - Judas Priest! (Maiden came awfully close a year later, though). Smile

They were great when I saw them too. All their live DVD:s are awesome. Which albums are your favourites?

Regarding In Extremo, Sterneneisen had its moments but I think they peaked with Verehrt und Angespien and Mein Rasend Herz.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Henke - 07 April 2014 03:32 PM

They were great when I saw them too. All their live DVD:s are awesome. Which albums are your favourites?

Asking about Anathema or Priest? Tongue

For Anathema, I really only know their two ‘Resonance’ compilation albums which I’d bought in preparation for Graspop back then…

As for Priest, I’d have to say British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and especially Killing Machine (I love their Peter Green cover of Green Manalishi, for instance). Priest…Live was also a superb.

Regarding In Extremo, Sterneneisen had its moments but I think they peaked with Verehrt und Angespien and Mein Rasend Herz.

They definitely peaked with Verehrt und Angespien, but I really like Saengerkrieg as well, more than Sterneneisen.

Note to self: still need to listen to Kunstraub. Sealed Lips

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 07 April 2014 04:56 PM

Asking about Anathema or Priest? Tongue

For Anathema, I really only know their two ‘Resonance’ compilation albums which I’d bought in preparation for Graspop back then…

As for Priest, I’d have to say British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and especially Killing Machine (I love their Peter Green cover of Green Manalishi, for instance). Priest…Live was also a superb.

He he, I did mean Anathema but I’ve seen Priest too and they sure can still deliver. If you got a craving for more of the first band, the newer albums are also truly spectacular.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 06 April 2014 01:35 PM

I practically grew up on Led Zeppelin, Queen, Judas Priest and Pink Floyd. Cool

In hindsight, this is actually pretty awesome. Cool

I don’t really know why - call it a momentary lapse of reason Wink - but I’m *really* into Pink Floyd again these last few days…

So naturally that lead me to this 2006 live version of Time. I just love the bits where Richard Wright sings…

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just clicked on your link Tim & after not listening to PF for a long time had forgotten just how brilliant they were - I really enjoyed that!

I saw them live in 1977ish at the New Bingley Hall (newly built, no seats & had to sit on the floor!) in [s]Wolverhampton[/s] Stafford performing ‘Animals’ & ‘Wish you Were Here’. They were so technically perfect that there was no difference between listening to them live or the same from their albums - there was just no hint of the rawness of a live performance (which disappointed me!) The visual aspect was so impressive though - there was an enormous diamond that didn’t light up until ‘Shine on you…’ & that was spectacular in itself by just sending lots of shafts of light down the hall & then later it started to whirl - wow! & I was stone-cold sober!

I’ve been clicking on some of the other links too! I’d never really paid too much attention to Anathema but yeah! I really liked it & also I forgot to mention that I do love listening to Iron Maiden but from a female point of view though - I love the hair but not the spandex pants, yuck!!!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

You can never get tired of Pink Floyd!

At least once a year I also get a craving for PT, and dust off all their old records and listen to them over and over again for a few days. I also had the fortune to see them live some years ago, unfortunately only after Roger Waters had left the band. I believe it was during their A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour in 1988.

I must admit that I hadn’t really discovered them yet in 1988, I primarily went to the concert because I had a friend who was a big fan of them. What I remember best was the impressive lightshow and the inflatable flying pig, but apart from that I wasn’t really impressed by them as a live band, as a recording band on the other hand…

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 11 April 2014 12:35 PM

They were so technically perfect that there was no difference between listening to them live or the same from their albums - there was just no hint of the rawness of a live performance (which disappointed me!)

I get what you mean. Playing technically perfect is an art in itself, and is often a wonder to behold, but in a live performance it’s often better if it’s NOT so perfect. There’s such a thing as being too ‘clean’ when playing.

I saw Toto live at Vorst Nationaal in Brussels a few years ago and they had that problem. The gig was wonderful, and they played perfectly, but perhaps a tad too perfectly…

As for Pink Floyd, my dad saw one of their The Wall gigs (where they built that big cardboard box wall only to tear it down again later), and he said more or less the same thing: the show’s fantastic, but the performance could just have been a recording - every note the same as the albums…

It’s at the best when they deviate slightly. Probably why I like the David Gilmour in Concert DVD so much. The Pink Floyd songs in that live performance have a different band setup and even some guest appearances.
I particularly love this version of Comfortably Numb with Robert Wyatt reading part of the lyrics.

Actually, despite the undeniable talent of the tragic Syd Barrett and the brilliant Roger Waters, David Gilmour is by far my favourite Pink Floyd member.
And he’s one of the all-time great guitar players to boot!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Tim, I don’t see any point in paying silly money (& the prices are so ridiculous these days!) to listen to something identical to an album/cd whatever. I always like to hear a slight rawness in live performance to distinguish from a recorded version! I don’t know whether I’ve mentioned the great Rory Gallagher before but this is worth listening to (well I think so):

Rory Gallagher

NB I have mentioned him before - a musician’s musician but still underrated!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top