• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 18 April 2014 04:42 AM

I hope this majority you talk about will be there next time to help JJs next KS with more money and hit more than Armikrog, Dreamfall, BS5 etc. So that this budget excuse
could cease to exist.

Good luck.

One must remember that budget constraints also impact things as basic as the level of experience and talent you can afford to hire. Double Fine’s Broken Age team isn’t really much bigger than Moebius’, but they’re a lot more experienced, and they probably get paid at least 3 times as much per employee, all costs considered (benefits, basic office overhead, etc), so the budget is much higher.

Moebius’ budget is so low, it’s obvious that Phoenix didn’t even really get paid for all the time they put in. They probably took it as a contract for a fixed amount of money and had to work for free on all overruns and delays. Literally no one else would have done that.

And in the end, it turns out it really wasn’t Jane’s best work either, so we should just be glad someone got it done to spec and out there, and let’s hope the next one is better.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

noknowncure - 18 April 2014 10:28 AM

I’m genuinely baffled by the people who think the background art was great - anything other than tolerable is an over-compliment to my mind, particularly when things like the view outside windows do very much resemble posters pinned to the wall - and even more-so by those who rate the character models..

Yes there’s an issue with some window that resemble posters pinned to the wall, but the textures used and the overall art direction of a lot of the background art is pleasing to my eyes and in no place did it bother me like some of the character models and animation did. I did say it ranged from good to great because there are some scenes were I just really liked the overall visual effect of the background art.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-06-23

PM

rtrooney - 17 April 2014 07:15 PM
Rufus - 17 April 2014 10:36 AM

I didn’t see any difference in performance when changing the quality setting. I got 20-30 fps regardless, which for me is playable for an adventure game.

24 fps is playable in a (non-digital) movie theater so I would hope it would be good enough for a game.

Framerate of a game and of a movie cannot be compared directly. Game without motion blur needs at least 30 fps for fluid motion, ideally more, like 60.
Although I can agree that in a game with static camera 24fps will be stuttery, but bearable.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The game had a really interesting premise that presented some fun gameplay. Although the antagonist felt indeed a bit to undefined. I thought the chiffer puzzles were especially fun.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Malachi’s attempted English accent was full of flaws.

Seeing as Malachi was meant to have grown up (initially at least) in South Africa, why would you imagine that he should have a simple English accent?

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

DaveyB - 18 April 2014 12:53 PM

Malachi’s attempted English accent was full of flaws.

Seeing as Malachi was meant to have grown up (initially at least) in South Africa, why would you imagine that he should have a simple English accent?

Indeed it would’ve been appropriate to have hints of a Sooth Ifrican twang, but instead we’re stuck with ‘American attempting posh English’ as opposed to even Trans-Atlantic.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Nice avatar, giom! Thumbs Up We can start a club, The Many Disguises of Robin Hood. Grin

I’m at the start of Moebius Chapter 4. While the game has its flaws, and while I think they include some story and puzzle elements and not just production values, there’s still quite a lot to like here. I wouldn’t recommend Moebius as anyone’s first Jane Jensen game, but just like with novelists, directors, screenwriters, musicians, or painters, once you’ve exhausted a favorite creator’s A catalog, if you really like their style, you may move on to their B catalog and it will still have unique qualities of that creator’s voice which you will not find even in the A catalog of other creators. It’s why I know every musical Stephen Sondheim has written—even when his works aren’t 100% successful, he always has something interesting to say, at least to me, and his is a unique voice in musical theater. I’m sure many people have some favorite creators they feel that way about.

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

noknowncure - 18 April 2014 01:04 PM

Indeed it would’ve been appropriate to have hints of a Sooth Ifrican twang, but instead we’re stuck with ‘American attempting posh English’ as opposed to even Trans-Atlantic.

So your original post showed how little you know about the game? Did you actually play it?
Maybe Malachi is actually meant to affect a posh English accent (based on his overall character quite plausible actually)and so Owen Thomas is actually portraying this perfectly Wink. But you wouldn’t know, would you?

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

DaveyB - 18 April 2014 01:10 PM

So your original post showed how little you know about the game? Did you actually play it?
Maybe Malachi is actually meant to affect a posh English accent (based on his overall character quite plausible actually)and so Owen Thomas is actually portraying this perfectly Wink. But you wouldn’t know, would you?

What?

What did I say that shows how little I know about the game?

I have to admire Malachi maintaining his poorly affected English accent during his intensely painful episodes.

I’ve completed the game and give it a fairly good overview, I just think it had some pretty big flaws. It’s only my opinion, if you like the voice acting, fair enough.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

DaveyB - 18 April 2014 01:10 PM

Huh? Noknowncure has played the game to completion. See here.

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Caliburn - 18 April 2014 01:16 PM

[ Noknowncure has played the game to completion.

So he wrote. But slagging off a character’s English accent when said character isn’t actually English made me wonder.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-23

PM

As a brit, i found the British accent quite believable and didn’t even question it, I assumed it was a British actor until I looked it up, has a kind of Westminster feel to it and is certainly an accent i’ve heard over here many times.

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

noknowncure - 18 April 2014 01:14 PM

I’ve completed the game and give it a fairly good overview, I just think it had some pretty big flaws. It’s only my opinion, if you like the voice acting, fair enough.

Fair enough…maybe I’m a bit sensitive to constant Moebius bashing Wink. But I do think it surprising to criticise the voice acting which is something always important to me and a definite strength of the game I’d say. And yes, I’m English too Wink

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

DaveyB - 18 April 2014 01:22 PM
Caliburn - 18 April 2014 01:16 PM

[ Noknowncure has played the game to completion.

So he wrote. But slagging off a character’s English accent when said character isn’t actually English made me wonder.

I didn’t say he was English - although at a couple of points in the game he regards himself as ‘British’, certainly in one of the deduction segments - I commented that the attempted English accent - which is what I personally think the VA was trying - was flawed.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Incidentally, I do wonder how many players will skip or miss the Intro E-Comic and not know Malachi’s backstory.

I suppose Moebius’ comic is not quite as essential as GK3’s comic, which explained Gabriel’s mission for Prince James and how he came to Rennes-le-Chateau, but it seems a bit more essential than, say, the comic in GK1. In GK1, Gabriel’s ancestry and nightmares were still re-capped enough elsewhere in the game proper that the comic gave extra detail, rather than essential detail. Moebius is in the middle.

I’m not really going anywhere with this, just an observation.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top