• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Finished the game. Provided you go with it, the story is enjoyable. However, it does just peter out towards the end, which is a shame.

The ‘villain’ of the piece wasn’t particularly well or satisfyingly established and felt like something that could have been seeded and made more of - not hugely important, though as it’s more a study of the two male leads relationship.

The Sherlock Holmes style deduction mechanic remained fun throughout, but I still feel it could do with some tweaking.

The voice acting was passable, but Malachi’s English accent was pretty poor, with lots of rookie mistakes in the form of American pronunciations. The music didn’t especially impress me, being too repetitive, driving and distracting in places, although it’s not a major complaint overall.

The recurring optional jokes between Malachi and David felt, to me, like a bit of a crib from The Last of Us, a game that was praised for it’s character relationships and used bad puns in a very similar, bonding fashion - I didn’t think it fitted as seamlessly in Moebius.

The romantic undertones felt quite slash-fictiony, but then I’ve always got the impression that Jane Jensen only enjoys writing characters she lusts after.

As previously expressed, the level of vitriol in that rockpapershotgun review is definitely ridiculous, attention seeking hyperbole. The game is by no means a classic, but it’s undeserving of such an aggressive review, even despite the appalling character models and animation and the tiresome inclusion of a dreary maze ending.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Doom - 17 April 2014 11:10 AM

I figured this one on the first try, and I actually thought it was a smart puzzle not worth spoiling.

I had a lot of trouble with this one because
I tried to hit the trigger right at 0.00 or a second after it, which was possible. But the guard always noticed me and the game didn’t tell me why. I’m not really sure why it works so that you can trigger it 2 seconds before, but not at the exact same time or a second later.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

millenia - 17 April 2014 12:06 PM

I tried to hit the trigger right at 0.00 or a second after it, which was possible. But the guard always noticed me and the game didn’t tell me why. I’m not really sure why it works so that you can trigger it 2 seconds before, but not at the exact same time or a second later.

[spoiler]That’s strange. I’m sure I hit the trigger a second after the timer had gone 0.00. And I did this only because I had noticed this “spare second” on my first throw. Maybe it has something to do with general performance of the game on different machines[/spoiler]

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Castledoque - 17 April 2014 06:53 AM

I am really saddened by the hateful and (in my opinion) totally unfair stance of much of the community…

Well don’t despair, if you look closely you will see that all this bashing is not coming from a large part of the community, but from a very few very loud people whose only purpose for even having an account on this forum seem to be to bash different games and kickstarter projects. Not to mention that at least one of those has admitted to not even having played the game but only watching youtube playthroughs

Whereas the vast majority, but not necessarily the loudest members, has a much more balanced and varied view ranging from valid criticism to praise of the game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

darthmaul - 17 April 2014 06:24 AM

It looks like RPS is spot on again with its review of this game.  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

I think it is a shame that diehard fans are unwilling to accept criticism, instead opting to say that the criticism isn’t “constructive” and the like.  That is just an excuse at this point.  You’d think that fans of the genre would hold games up to higher scrutiny than everyone else.  Instead, it seems like many are content to accept the scraps fed to them.

^This x 1000.

Though I can kind of understand the reactions. Being a big Jensen fan myself, I felt like I had been given a punch to the stomach when I saw reviews like Gamespot’s, which gives Moebius a 4/10 (“Poor”). http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/moebius-empire-rising-review/1900-6415730/
But then I read the review again more closely and realized that I agree with most of it. “Poor” is a well-deserved rating for this game. And more feisty, entertaining reviews like John Walker’s also make solid points. These well-informed opinions are not “hate,” even if they upset us fans.

What I think we need to remember is that many people rely on reviews when deciding whether to spend $30 for a game. Times are tough for many of us, and $30 here and there adds up. Imagine starting up your Moebius purchase and seeing the terrible production values after expecting something much different. So I actually think these blunt, honest reviews are doing a good service. Let’s keep that in mind before we start attacking backers, customers and respected critics just because they have different opinions than a group of diehard fans.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Rufus - 17 April 2014 10:36 AM

I didn’t see any difference in performance when changing the quality setting. I got 20-30 fps regardless, which for me is playable for an adventure game.

24 fps is playable in a (non-digital) movie theater so I would hope it would be good enough for a game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Iznogood - 17 April 2014 04:54 PM

Not to mention that at least one of those has admitted to not even having played the game but only watching youtube playthroughs

Whereas the vast majority, but not necessarily the loudest members, has a much more balanced and varied view ranging from valid criticism to praise of the game.

Maybe i am more honest Wink, i had choice to not even mention it.

Have better game like BS5 to spend my time with, so have to check if some games are even worth it. Played the demo and yes watched the videos, didnt click with my strandard. More power to all of you who got their dream KS game. Enjoy.

OrionO - 17 April 2014 06:28 PM

Though I can kind of understand the reactions. Being a big Jensen fan myself, I felt like I had been given a punch to the stomach when I saw reviews like Gamespot’s, which gives Moebius a 4/10 (“Poor”). http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/moebius-empire-rising-review/1900-6415730/
But then I read the review again more closely and realized that I agree with most of it. “Poor” is a well-deserved rating for this game. And more feisty, entertaining reviews like John Walker’s also make solid points. These well-informed opinions are not “hate,” even if they upset us fans.

Nahh you are wrong, gamespot, rps, neogaf, metacritic are all lies,trolling and
vocal minority who didnt play the game. Wink

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Can someone please translate the above for me?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Just beat it myself.  Thoughts…

Pros:
The backgrounds are typically very good, as well as the comic style cutscenes.
The voice acting is very good, especially the voice actor for Rector.
The music is excellent….though there aren’t many tracks.
Storyline is good overall, though by the time the game ends, it feels like it’s a small story designed to set up bigger ones in future games.  Kind of has a Bond-type feel to it.
The investigative puzzles are fun.

Cons:
Too short, probably takes about 6-7 hrs to beat.
As others have said, the laborious and sometimes goofy character animations slow down the game a lot.  Characters need more detail as well. 
The puzzles are kinda “meh” overall, and finishing the game with a maze is not good imo.
Even though I said the storyline is good overall, I’d probably say as games written by Jensen go, it’s the weakest entry she’s done.  The “villain” needed more development in particular.

Overall:
I liked the game a lot, and though I’d rather see the Gabriel Knight universe explored more, Moebius is intriguing in its way.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

nomadsoul - 17 April 2014 09:16 PM

Maybe i am more honest Wink, i had choice to not even mention it.

More honest than who? The people on here who clearly HAVE played the game and so can give their considered feedback on it? I don’t think so…

Have better game like BS5 to spend my time with

Surprising then that you constantly waste your time writing on here about a game which you haven’t even played.

Nahh you are wrong, gamespot, rps, neogaf, metacritic are all lies,trolling and
vocal minority who didnt play the game. Wink

As are USgamer (90%), Game Over Online (82%), Game Revolution (4/5), IncGamers (7/10), Digitally Downloaded (3/5 - though I don’t get the score considering how positive the review is!) etc etc. Amazing how you only ever mention the negative reviews and never the positive ones…one would almost think it was intentional lol. If it’s so cut & dried how poor Moebius is, it’s surprising that there are a number of reviews out there who, whilst acknowledging some flaws (and some specifically commenting on the budget constraints), find Moebius praiseworthy overall.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

Just stop talking that POS is a bad studio. They achieved more than many “great” studios. And stop talking that their games are bad. If you didn’t like them, then fine, give your opinion and that’s it, but stop this childish plays. The Silver Lining may be a bad game to some, but it’s an outstanding achivment for a fan community. And don’t dare to say that Cognition is a bad game. It rightfully so got a game of the year from readers. And stop bad talking POS for Moebius. It has flaws, but it’s definetly not a bad game. And why blame POS for flaws in Moebius. Pinkerton Road was making it with them, and you don’t blame them. Plus, they never made a game (to my knowledge) other than Moebius, and POS has some more expirience.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

DaveyB - 18 April 2014 02:43 AM

Have better game like BS5 to spend my time with

Surprising then that you constantly waste your time writing on here about a game which you haven’t even played.

I have played the demo had expectations but what i checked online of the final game, things are way more rough (even at zurich malachi is sliding on floors, Paris city is nothing but wallpaper pasted badly on window, it doesnt need playing), i can go on if you want list again but as you said should not waste time with it, not worth it (also mods warned, have already voiced my concerns.

And i only replied because my point was brought up.
Replying now because you brought it up again.

I hope this majority you talk about will be there next time to help JJs next KS with more money and hit more than Armikrog, Dreamfall, BS5 etc. So that this budget excuse
could cease to exist.

Good luck.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve now finished the game. Globally I enjoyed it and it was a nice experience…

In term of graphics, the background art ranges from good enough to great. I was running under the best settings at my computer’s native resolution fo 2880x1800. With those settings, I didn’t see any issue with pixelization of backgrounds. When I first played it on my Mac using the mac build, it was a bit slow but then switched to Parallels and it ran smoothly. So there might be optimization issues with the mac build.

For the big complaint I had about the character models, I think the biggest issue was during the first three chapters (with the meeting between Walker and Gretchen being the most unintentionally creepy). I don’t mind cheaper and simpler animations but in this case it’s the combination of weird shoulder position, teeth that are very inhuman like and weird animation that makes it feel a bit creepy and in the uncanny valley. As reported by Chrissie though, there’s an improvement as the game progress and I was not bothered by this in the later chapters

One other criticism I had in term of art assets, is the lack of attention to linguistic details. The letter in French that is shown in paris is wrong (it looks like it was machine translation). MoP mentioned a similar issue with the Arabic script and some of the history snippets in the mini games are not completely accurate (for example Cleopatra marrying Julius Caesar). I feel that one of the strength of the kickstarter model is the community and maybe it would be a good idea to try and take advantage of that. They could give part of the text of those assets to the fans and have them look for and correct inaccuracies like this. It would make fans happy to contribute and result in a better game.

The music, as expected, ranged from good to great. I’ve noticed the music much more than in BS5 or Broken Age, and I really enjoyed it.

The story was gripping but did need a bit of suspension of disbelief, at least more so than Gabriel Knight. A lot of the original premises (the moebius theory) is a bit silly, but, once you go along with it, it’s a nice ride and I wanted to know how it would end. I would have liked the villain to be a bit more defined, but, at least compared to a lot of stories, he’s got rational reasons to do what he’s doing.

The puzzles were mostly on the easy side, I didn’t mind having to go back to pick up items, since I feel that it’s reasonable not to start carrying an empty bottle of oil without a reason to do so. The fact that there was a map and that double clicking teleports malachi to a location made this not too frustrating. I also liked the deduction mini games but feel that something could have been done to make them more interactive… Maybe with the probabilities that are shown when Malachi make deductions during the cut scenes.

The game was a bit buggy, it crashed every time I saved a game (but the save game went through) and I had the bug with Dominique

Overall, I’d give it a 3.5, I might actually have given it more if it were not for my original expectations coming into the game. I was expecting a lot from Jane Jensen and was a little disappointed. But objectively, if it were a game from an unknown creator that I would have approached without any expectations, I’d have enjoyed it more and probably would have given it a 4/5. (To explain my scale, there’s only 7 games that I’ve played up until now that would deserve 5/5 for me)

I will anyway back a second kickstarter from Pinkerton Road and I hope it sells well so that she can get back into the game. Moebius is not the masterpiece I expected but it’s a step along the path.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

giom - 18 April 2014 08:14 AM

One other criticism I had in term of art assets, is the lack of attention to linguistic details. The letter in French that is shown in paris is wrong (it looks like it was machine translation). MoP mentioned a similar issue with the Arabic script and some of the history snippets in the mini games are not completely accurate (for example Cleopatra marrying Julius Caesar). I feel that one of the strength of the kickstarter model is the community and maybe it would be a good idea to try and take advantage of that to have people detect and correct inaccuracies like this. It would make fans happy to contribute and result in a better game.

Not to mention the pronunciation of ‘Moebius’ as ‘Mobius’. Although I don’t know whether the actors are to blame for that or the developers.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

I’m genuinely baffled by the people who think the background art was great - anything other than tolerable is an over-compliment to my mind, particularly when things like the view outside windows do very much resemble posters pinned to the wall - and even more-so by those who rate the character models.

Graphics aren’t the be all and end all and there’s obviously no need for Adventure Games to have engines that rival triple A titles, but when you’re telling a story visually, it helps not to have your audience cringing at the characters and setting.

The Voice acting didn’t impress me and Malachi’s attempted English accent was full of flaws. Fortunately, I find botched US attempts at UK accents amusing - Cockney and Scottish being particular favourites for ‘so bad it’s good’ reactions - so I enjoyed it for different reasons than the creators probably intended.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top