• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Anyway, I’ve reached the sixth chapter, no problems so far and as far fetched and daft as the story is, it’s been drawing me in. I’ve not especially liked the character of Malachi, but that’s part of his story and serves a purpose. Gameplay-wise, the traditional inventory style puzzles have been the weak link and I’ve much preferred using Malachi’s own abilities and deductive reasoning to progress the story - even though I wouldn’t say it’s been utilised perfectly, there’s the makings of a fun mechanic there.

The people who have said this is one of Jensen’s lesser works are bang on the money. A lot feels very heavy handed and ‘on the nose’, but the ideas that work are just about shining through.

The backgrounds have been ever so gradually improving and I’m seeing less of the blurry, pixelated, low-res messes that littered the earlier chapters, but, once again, the character models and animation are appalling and consistently let the piece down. At times, it genuinely looks like stuff from the late 90s. It’s a shame, as there’s a fun experience buried underneath all the mess.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

noknowncure - 16 April 2014 08:34 PM
RockNFknRoll - 16 April 2014 07:13 PM

It’s not a moot point when you’re taking stock of what mistakes were made in the hope that some learning and clarity comes from it in the future.

You basically are making an argument for evaluating anything ever, because it’s already done so therefore “moot”.

No I’m not. Lets follow this step by step in easy manageable chunks to see what happened and give you the best chance of comprehending it.

Responding to a comment from fov, you declare that:

RockNFknRoll - 16 April 2014 03:28 PM

This is tunnel vision. There is a thousand alternate universes a Jane Jensen could have decided to go with, including ones we can’t conceive. The idea that this is the best result and the only possible development team she could have used is obviously silly.

You bring up the subject of this game’s potential alternate universe versions. In response, I tongue in cheek mention that: ‘until we unlock the secrets of Quantum mechanics, that’s a moot point.’

Here, I am suggesting that, while we can wax philosophical about the other universe versions of the game - that, if you recall, you broached - we are as of yet - unless you produced that inter-dimensional key out of your arse - unable to experience them. The argument is one that would exist in pure theory.

I was very specifically reacting to your Quantum conundrum, in a silly, carefree manner. I wasn’t even actually disagreeing with you as such, just joining in with the Quantum theme. After which, because you seem to be 90% shoulder chip and must argue, regardless of there actually being an argument to have, you demonstrated that you don’t understand what a ‘moot point’ is.

I’d ask you to point out where exactly in prior posts I’ve said that discussing a game’s faults is a bad thing - particularly considering my own highly critical thoughts on the sections of the game that I’ve played so far.

As you seem to be extremely hard of thinking, I’ll help you out here; what I am saying is that we’ll never know what this game could’ve been like, had it been made by another studio, because that would involve travelling to a reality where that happened. Anything else would be pure speculation - which you’re entitled to, it just wouldn’t prove anything.

What we can do - as your frantic goalpost moving intimates - is give reasoned criticism that will possibly, hopefully help people improve in the future.

it’s almost like every sentence is trying to be douchier than the next

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

RockNFknRoll - 16 April 2014 09:18 PM

it’s almost like every sentence is trying to be douchier than the next

I tailor the message’s tone for the audience in mind, RockNFknRoll.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

I don’t know why but every time I see POS, I’m reading it ‘piece of shit’ in my head… Neutral

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Loving that constructive criticism, guys.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

giom - 16 April 2014 11:14 AM

Another thing that kind of annoyed me is the attention to details. One of the chapter takes place in France and there’s a letter in French subtitled in English. The content of the letter in French just doesn’t make any sense though and looks like it’s just been translated with Google Translate. They could have just asked one of the french bakers to review the text if they were that short on funds. It’s just a detail but it kind of matters.

Seems like a recurring theme, the Arabic script in chapter 2 is apparently machine-translation-gibberish as well (and written in the wrong direction). Just a minor detail indeed, but instead of being jarring to the few that will notice, would’ve been a nice opportunity to add some extra flavour and/or easter-eggish stuff to “reward” those few (and those that would bother to research). I guess this one time it pays off not being a linguist Wink

Total Posts: 2061

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

MoP - 16 April 2014 11:08 PM

Seems like a recurring theme, the Arabic script in chapter 2 is apparently machine-translation-gibberish as well (and written in the wrong direction). Just a minor detail indeed, but instead of being jarring to the few that will notice, would’ve been a nice opportunity to add some extra flavour and/or easter-eggish stuff to “reward” those few (and those that would bother to research). I guess this one time it pays off not being a linguist Wink

Now that is weird. Credits actually mention “Arabic translation”, and there is an Arabic name next to it Meh

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Doom - 16 April 2014 11:16 PM

Credits actually mention “Arabic translation”, and there is an Arabic name next to it Meh

Perhaps that’s for the actual game dialog and not for the art assets?  Is there an Arabic version? 

I would assume that the artist who made the background probably put the text on there without thoroughly checking it.  It was likely separate from any translator’s tasks.

Total Posts: 2061

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lambonius - 16 April 2014 11:41 PM

Perhaps that’s for the actual game dialog and not for the art assets?  Is there an Arabic version?

I didn’t notice any other “translations” or “localisations”. Pretty sure they referred to the in-game text. Maybe the guy they hired cheated on them? Although I have no explanation for the mistakes in the French text…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

It looks like RPS is spot on again with its review of this game.  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

I think it is a shame that diehard fans are unwilling to accept criticism, instead opting to say that the criticism isn’t “constructive” and the like.  That is just an excuse at this point.  You’d think that fans of the genre would hold games up to higher scrutiny than everyone else.  Instead, it seems like many are content to accept the scraps fed to them.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

So “diehard fans” are unwilling to accept criticism, when they feel uncomfortable with characterizations like piece of shit, scraps, cringe-worthy, shoddy work, turd etc? This is not criticism, it is bashing.

I just played the game and found it to be a solid 12+ hour adventure game with a good (fantasy+adventury+sci-fi+spy) story, solid characterizations (the relationship between Rector and Walker is expertly rendered), stylish backgrounds (by Andy Hoyos), acceptable albeit flawed and glitchy graphics/animations and a powerful ending (that does answer almost all questions). Some of the much-maligned cut-scenes are actually quite good and effective, especially towards the ending. The only serious flaw is the relative easiness of the puzzles and yet none seems to mention that, instead focusing on the graphics, the graphics and the graphics.

I am really saddened by the hateful and (in my opinion) totally unfair stance of much of the community. If that makes me a diehard fan unwilling to accept criticism, so be it.

It is not a perfect game, but it deserves a fighting chance and it definitely deserves better. A solid though slightly flawed adventure game, that most definitely is not the worst thing to happen in adventure gaming the last few years. And in my opinion definitely worth playing.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s interesting how polarizing Moebius seems to be. Personally I find it Jensen’s weakest game to date. It has issues beyond graphical problems. The design limbs badly and despite the story has an interesting premesis it never really manages to get off and falls flat around in the middle. The final chapter seems more like a cheap attempt at making the game longer than it is.

It’s not a total train wreck, but it’s neither a game I’ll be playing again.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

tomimt - 17 April 2014 07:14 AM

It’s interesting how polarizing Moebius seems to be. Personally I find it Jensen’s weakest game to date. It has issues beyond graphical problems. The design limbs badly and despite the story has an interesting premesis it never really manages to get off and falls flat around in the middle. The final chapter seems more like a cheap attempt at making the game longer than it is.

It’s not a total train wreck, but it’s neither a game I’ll be playing again.

Surprisingly this is one of the few valid negative posts. I disagree, but there is no needless bashing and there are actual points being made.

Personally I do not feel the story falls flat, but there is a drastic change in pace and atmosphere mid-point that might possibly alienate someone. I found the change interesting, but someone else might interpret it otherwise.

The final chapter could be seen as filling, but personally I enjoyed the sudden old-school feeling it gives, plus Jane Jensen often likes ending her games with similar gimmicks (GK2 ending was somewhat similar though significantly shorter). Perhaps she feels it makes the ending more tense and I guess in a way it does, though I am sure many will hate it.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-05-19

PM

Castledoque - 17 April 2014 06:53 AM

So “diehard fans” are unwilling to accept criticism, when they feel uncomfortable with characterizations like piece of shit, scraps, cringe-worthy, shoddy work, turd etc? This is not criticism, it is bashing.

[...]

I am really saddened by the hateful and (in my opinion) totally unfair stance of much of the community. If that makes me a diehard fan unwilling to accept criticism, so be it.

It is not a perfect game, but it deserves a fighting chance and it definitely deserves better. A solid though slightly flawed adventure game, that most definitely is not the worst thing to happen in adventure gaming the last few years. And in my opinion definitely worth playing.

Yeah. I haven’t played the whole game yet, but I already think the harsh words I see directed at Jane Jensen and POS are mainly uncalled for and, in some cases, right-out childish.

I was a little skeptical - and a lot worried - when I started up the game (mostly thanks to reading this thread!), but after playing for half an hour or so, I was starting to get caught up in the mood and the plot. Moebius is already managing to intrigue me a hell of a lot more than many of the fairly-recent games that people on this very forum keep praising as “great” when I only see mediocrity at best. I’m old, cranky and very particular about what I play. Wink

Okay, so the character models and the animation could definitely look better, but to suggest that the creators were lazy and didn’t put in enough effort is pretty damned respectless. I’m certain that they have done everything they can to make the game look as good as it can look, with the limited resources at hand. 3D modelling may not be their strong suit, but have you seen some of the 2D art pieces in the game? The portraits on walls in buildings? Those are beautiful.

I can’t say much about the plot yet, but so far it keeps me entertained and interested. I’m sure it won’t be perfect, as the rest of the game isn’t perfect. However! I’m going to keep playing and make my own mind up about it, despite the loud shouting from those who seem somehow intent on spoiling it not only for Jane Jensen and their fellow adventure gamers, but in the long run for themselves as well. This is kind of like when teenagers throw garbage in the street and gleefully neglect to consider who’s going to have to live with all the piles of garbage in thirty years’ time… (Okay, can you tell I’m old yet?)

Current favourites: Murdered: Soul Suspect, The Talos Principle
Lasting loves: Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight, Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, The Last Express, L.A. Noire, Portal 2

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It was great Castledoque to read a positive post from someone who’s actually played the game to conclusion!

I appreciate that you have too tomimt & yes, it does seem that the game is going to be viewed in a completely opposing light by different players.

There are far more positive reviews about the game than negative, the Rock, Paper, Shotgun one being the harshest. (Incidentally the link was already posted on page 42)

I am curious to know how many members of the Moebius lynch mob have actually played the game or more than 10 minutes of the demo & how many have jumped on the hate bandwagon based on either believing everything they read or just for the sake of trolling.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top