• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

aaroncarney - 16 April 2014 01:27 PM

I really hope some day soon Jane gets behind a successful studio to bring her stories to life.

As opposed to a studio which won 6 Reader’s Choice Aggies in 2013 for its first ever commercial game I suppose

OrionO - 16 April 2014 04:19 PM

The problem is that Phoenix Online Studios has never been any good…their stuff has always been pretty cringe-worthy.

“Never” and “always” are interesting terms to use for a studio who previously have only produced one freeware game and one commercial game…

In the future, Jane ought to aim higher and work with a decent developer

See above - seems like a lot of other readers of this website have a different opinion. So maybe you should give your constant bashing of Phoenix Online a rest…it’s getting boring. Does the name “Quest1” ring any bells?

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

In the future, Jane ought to aim higher and work with a decent developer, if possible. I hate to see her reputation take a hit by her being associated with shoddy work. Jane Jensen is a great talent and deserves better.

I think it’s safe to say this thread has officially jumped the shark.  It’s definitely amusing, though.

DaveyB - 16 April 2014 05:28 PM

Does the name “Quest1” ring any bells?

I was thinking the exact same thing…

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Lambonius - 16 April 2014 05:36 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing…

My god Lamb…I’ve been agreeing with you far too much recently as it is Wink

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I don’t think I hear anyone saying this game is beyond reproach.  There are definitely some problems here worth criticizing.

The ridiculous thing about this thread is the extreme nature of the criticisms that seem intent only on tearing down and casting petty (and entirely illogical) blame, as well as the total tone-deafness to the actual realities of the development process of this game. 

The visceral rage that some people seem to be demonstrating, and the unabashed glee at which they revel in the perceived failures of this game is frankly just silly.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 16 April 2014 05:51 PM

I don’t think I hear anyone saying this game is beyond reproach.  There are definitely some problems here worth criticizing.

The ridiculous thing about this thread is the extreme nature of the criticisms that seem intent only on tearing down and casting petty (and entirely illogical) blame, as well as the total tone-deafness to the actual realities of the development process of this game. 

The visceral rage that some people seem to be demonstrating, and the unabashed glee at which they revel in the perceived failures of this game is frankly just silly.

Well said!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

1. total tone-deafness to the actual realities of the development process of this game. 

2. The visceral rage that some people seem to be demonstrating, and the unabashed glee at which they revel in the perceived failures of this game is frankly just silly.

1. Self fulfilling prophecy, due to cheap exchange rate find cheap labor in the world,
i.e target india , give rigging to them and believe that Hey we will get shit game
in that budget nothing to go to in the world so select India. Well, with this mindset, you wil get turd eventually.

(and there are plenty of other better animation studios in India, that did work on AAA titles).

2. You sounded as silly against Telltalegames, its just that you are on the other
end of the stick this time. Wink

TimovieMan - 16 April 2014 04:58 PM

But that can only happen if the criticism is worded constructively.

You mean to say we should put more effort on wording than PoS did on animations and
art. Show me one game out there from any genre with such bad rigging.
Its reciprocation. Wink

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

And most of the criticisms contained in this thread are so vague as to be laughable. SHODDY WORK! AMATEUR DEVELOPER! POS SUCKS!

These comments would be considered trolling in other forums, and frankly, I’m surprised that there haven’t been warnings issued.

There is a lot more that goes into a game than the graphics. Instead of ranting the same criticisms over and over, louder and louder, I’d appreciate a more developed and respectful back and forth logical set of arguments. There are far too few developed arguments in this thread and way too many “game sucks” and “steer clear” comments for that to be helpful for anyone.

Is it that people are so used to twitter and its 140 character limit that they can’t be bothered to express more fully their criticism or their praise? It’s sad.

I’ve appreciated the efforts of Millenia and Doom and Chrissie who are actually playing the game and rolling out their comments about the game in real time.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

True, and really some people in here should just cool off a little bit. It is ok that if someone doesn´t like a certain game to post why they didn´t like it (that´s why this forum is here for), but to attack a game or it´s developers constantly through numerous posts is getting annoying. Yes, the game does have it´s fair share of flaws and we all can agree on that, but it´s not a total failure as someone could think after reading some posts.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-08-29

PM

Tried to watch it on youtube the first chapter alone has so much bad rigging, bones,limbs doing disco, lip synch totally non existent, this is worse game graphically
ever. Makes Ride to hell retribution like blessing. The animations killed the game.

Well for most people bad animations are not going to “kill” an adventure game. It will downgrade the score - but kill it? Maybe if the graphics were exceptionally bad (which Moebius is not) where you couldn’t even make out things in a scene and it interfered with progression. Calling it “the worse game graphically” is downright false. The graphics aren’t up-to-date but if this game were made in the late 90’s or early 2000’s the graphics would be considered good.  But who plays adventure games for the graphics anyway? Adventure games are typically indie and are almost never stellar on graphics and animation. That’s just a cherry on a cake.

For adventure games to succeed all one really needs is a really good story. If the story is awesome and everything else is only decent it is likely to get a good score. I use to think you needed good puzzles too but games like Gone Home and Walking Dead have proven otherwise.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The Phoenix Online trolling and personal hostility ends here.

If your only contribution to a thread is to maliciously insult the people making games, you’re done.

If you want to criticize a game you’re playing, that’s fair game, as always. If you feel the need to continually repeat those views in increasingly nastier ways merely to justify your ongoing vindictiveness, that is not. That’s a spiteful agenda and will not be tolerated.

Our only real rule here is to act respectfully, and frankly, anything you wouldn’t say directly to a developer’s face is nothing more than gutless internet bullying. If you’re doing that, grow up.

This applies to EVERY thread, not just this one. Lord knows we see the same garbage in every Telltale thread as well.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The budget for this game was so staggeringly low it borders on charity. I find it hard to criticize its graphical flaws as a result.

I’ve read a few reviews and played the demo and honestly it seems like the writing is actually a big part of what’s wrong here. I know Jane is a legend but this may just not be her strongest effort.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

noknowncure - 16 April 2014 04:06 PM
RockNFknRoll - 16 April 2014 03:53 PM
noknowncure - 16 April 2014 03:32 PM

Yeah, but until we unlock the secrets of Quantum mechanics, that’s a moot point.

No it’s not.

Yes it is. Do you not understand what a moot point is?!

We can discuss it, but not put it into practice; it’s moot. Unless you’ve stumbled across an inter-dimensional key in your contrary little life.

It’s not a moot point when you’re taking stock of what mistakes were made in the hope that some learning and clarity comes from it in the future.

You are basically making an argument against evaluating anything ever, because what’s done is done and therefore “moot”?

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

lol “visceral rage”? Yet unabashedly gleeful at the same time! Quite a range of emotions being projected onto us right now.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

RockNFknRoll - 16 April 2014 07:17 PM

lol “visceral rage”? Yet unabashedly gleeful at the same time! Quite a range of emotions being projected onto us right now.

Yes, I know!  haha

I was referring to the John Walker article there, too.  It’s not really just this thread.  John Walker was clearly VERY pissed that this game did not meet his expectations.  There seems to be a lot of “I told you so” attitude going around here, as if people KNEW it would be terrible (I don’t think it is, by the way, though I will happily acknowledge that it isn’t perfect.)

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

RockNFknRoll - 16 April 2014 07:13 PM

It’s not a moot point when you’re taking stock of what mistakes were made in the hope that some learning and clarity comes from it in the future.

You basically are making an argument for evaluating anything ever, because it’s already done so therefore “moot”.

No I’m not. Lets follow this step by step in easy manageable chunks to see what happened and give you the best chance of comprehending it.

Responding to a comment from fov, you declare that:

RockNFknRoll - 16 April 2014 03:28 PM

This is tunnel vision. There is a thousand alternate universes a Jane Jensen could have decided to go with, including ones we can’t conceive. The idea that this is the best result and the only possible development team she could have used is obviously silly.

You bring up the subject of this game’s potential alternate universe versions. In response, I tongue in cheek mention that: ‘until we unlock the secrets of Quantum mechanics, that’s a moot point.’

Here, I am suggesting that, while we can wax philosophical about the other universe versions of the game - that, if you recall, you broached - we are as of yet - unless you produced that inter-dimensional key out of your arse - unable to experience them. The argument is one that would exist in pure theory.

I was very specifically reacting to your Quantum conundrum, in a silly, carefree manner. I wasn’t even actually disagreeing with you as such, just joining in with the Quantum theme. After which, because you seem to be 90% shoulder chip and must argue, regardless of there actually being an argument to have, you demonstrated that you don’t understand what a ‘moot point’ is.

I’d ask you to point out where exactly in prior posts I’ve said that discussing a game’s faults is a bad thing - particularly considering my own highly critical thoughts on the sections of the game that I’ve played so far.

As you seem to be extremely hard of thinking, I’ll help you out here; what I am saying is that we’ll never know what this game could’ve been like, had it been made by another studio, because that would involve travelling to a reality where that happened. Anything else would be pure speculation - which you’re entitled to, it just wouldn’t prove anything.

What we can do - as your frantic goalpost moving intimates - is give reasoned criticism that will possibly, hopefully help people improve in the future.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top