• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinLady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

The Rock, Paper, Shotgun review is perhaps the deepest criticism of the game I’ve read: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

I don’t think there’s a disconnect between mainstream sites and AG-centric ones. I tend to think that AG-centric sites seem a bit too easy to please.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Peter254 - 15 April 2014 06:11 PM

The Rock, Paper, Shotgun review is perhaps the deepest criticism of the game I’ve read: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

I don’t think there’s a disconnect between mainstream sites and AG-centric ones. I tend to think that AG-centric sites seem a bit too easy to please.

That review is about as harsh as it gets… but damn was it funny.. and a majority of its points are very true.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

zane - 15 April 2014 06:20 PM
Peter254 - 15 April 2014 06:11 PM

That review is about as harsh as it gets… but damn was it funny.. and a majority of its points are very true.

I don’t know, I didn’t really find it to be funny, it’s definitely trying to be, but it’s not working very well - at least not for someone who already played the game and can spot a dozen flaws and exaggerations in the review in a second.

And I don’t think it’s only fangirlism here either, I usually enjoy irony, satire and other types of ridiculing when it’s done well. This read mostly “I’m so above this and I lost a few hours of my life waaah”. The points of criticism that were justified are really hard to find among all the poo throwing.

Either it is a failed attempt of humour or the guy really is furious to the game. And I don’t think anyone should really publish anything they wrote while infuriated. The text will become better if you calm down and clean it up.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

millenia - 15 April 2014 07:00 PM

This read mostly “I’m so above this and I lost a few hours of my life waaah”. The points of criticism that were justified are really hard to find among all the poo throwing. Either it is a failed attempt of humour or the guy really is furious to the game.

That’s John Walker for you. He always does that when he doesn’t like a game, which happens a lot. Some people find his reviews entertaining. You should look up his retrospective review of Myst. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-20-retrospective-myst-article

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Karlok - 15 April 2014 07:49 PM

That’s John Walker for you. He always does that when he doesn’t like a game, which happens a lot. Some people find his reviews entertaining. You should look up his retrospective review of Myst. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-20-retrospective-myst-article

Heh…that article is great.  Smile

The ranting humor works for me in an article like that, a retrospective look at a 20 year old game, but in a review of a game currently on the market, it really feels overblown and kind of unprofessional.  Especially since, as others have mentioned, there’s a lot of exaggeration there that anyone who actually played the game will recognize (though there definitely are some valid points, too.)

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

I don’t mind reviews like Walker’s, but the fact that this kind of bloviation, knee jerk reaction is considered actual criticism is ridiculous - and more a commentary on game criticism than anything. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s fun and entertaining, but the idea that that type of review can set the full narrative on a game’s quality is troubling.

And Myst is the second greatest adventure game of all-time. (Riven #1, say yeah!)

Ok, back to lurking! more AG fan reviews of Moebius please!

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Is it fair to throw Jane Jensen “under the bus,” so to speak, because of the developer’s failure? Is it fair that her reputation will take a hit over how this game is being received? Maybe yes, maybe no.

While there’s no question that this game won’t be winning any “game of the year” awards, to put it mildly, I don’t understand the angry reactions of reviewers like Walker, who seems to take great offense to the game:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

Moebius is an utter disaster of a game. An entirely unlikeable or vacuous cast, a contempt for women like I’ve never seen, and indeed almost equal contempt for men, gibberish puzzles, ghastly animation, flawed conceits, the stupidest plot idea I can remember, and the whole thing scored with lift music. It’s as if the moustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3 got an agent, and a starring role as an entire game.

Yes, the game looks like garbage, but the game isn’t anything to get too worked up over. However, if someone donated a lot of money for this mess, then I can understand their irritation.

We live and learn. We learn which developers deserve repeat donations/business, and which do not.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Poorly conceived attempts at being snarky and thus humorous is pretty common in video game reviews, possibly in place of an actually ability for deep and reflective critical review or just inability to write well.

That said, the game does look and sound pretty bad. I can’t wait to get a chance to play it!

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

In defense of John Walker and RPS, he seems sincere and genuinely excited for Moebius when he wrote this preview; withholding criticism by openly giving it the benefit of the doubt and even suggestive that it’s preposterous story should be embraced: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/17/hands-on-jane-jensens-moebius/

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

OrionO - 15 April 2014 09:16 PM

Is it fair to throw Jane Jensen “under the bus,” so to speak, because of the developer’s failure? Is it fair that her reputation will take a hit over how this game is being received? Maybe yes, maybe no.

I’m not saying anyone should throw Jane Jensen under the bus, but it’s completely unfair to act like the perceived problems of the game had nothing to do with her development ideas and decision-making.  POS was not in charge of this game’s development.

Personally, from what I’ve played so far, I don’t think it’s a bad game at all.  The story has grabbed me and I find the art and graphics to be just fine—not perfect, but not nearly so terrible as they are being made out to be.  The criticisms I’ve been reading do not at all match the experience that I have had with it.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m into Chapter 6. The story really draws you in by this point, even if the premise feels uneven at times. But the game is not supposed to be a scientific research. Moebius is still rich on historical facts and it’s more intelligent than other ags I played in recent years. Deduction mini-games vary and don’t lose their fun. I haven’t been bothered by inventory puzzles since Chapter 3. I also got really fond of the main couple and their relationship. The RPS reviewer with his so-called sarcasm tried his best to underline the worst moments of the game, but this only underlines the poor state of modern gaming journalism.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I’ve only played Chapter 1 so far, and the game definitely errors on the side of being too easy.

But so far it’s working for me.  It totally has that Jane Jensen feel, where every description of every single thing is entertaining.  It really draws me in much more than most adventure games.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Peter254 - 15 April 2014 09:51 PM

In defense of John Walker and RPS, he seems sincere and genuinely excited for Moebius when he wrote this preview; withholding criticism by openly giving it the benefit of the doubt and even suggestive that it’s preposterous story should be embraced: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/17/hands-on-jane-jensens-moebius/

That article reads like it was written by a completely different person.  I seriously have to wonder if John Walker isn’t actually bipolar or something.  He regularly seems to ping pong back and forth between glowing praise and slavering rants.  The guy seems completely incapable of balanced criticism.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

OrionO - 15 April 2014 09:16 PM

While there’s no question that this game won’t be winning any “game of the year” awards, to put it mildly, I don’t understand the angry reactions of reviewers like Walker, who seems to take great offense to the game:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

Moebius is an utter disaster of a game. An entirely unlikeable or vacuous cast, a contempt for women like I’ve never seen, and indeed almost equal contempt for men, gibberish puzzles, ghastly animation, flawed conceits, the stupidest plot idea I can remember, and the whole thing scored with lift music. It’s as if the moustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3 got an agent, and a starring role as an entire game.

Yes, the game looks like garbage, but the game isn’t anything to get too worked up over. However, if someone donated a lot of money for this mess, then I can understand their irritation.

We live and learn. We learn which developers deserve repeat donations/business, and which do not.

Who’s throwing Jane under the bus? You make it sound like she’s a bystanders in this whole thing and she’s unfairly getting blamed. Its her game! I can’t comment on the quality of Phoenix since they haven’t done that many games, but blaming them i feel is wrong. Its still Jane’s game, she had the last word on things and therefore she is the one the criticism should be directed at. I fail to see how this is the developers fault.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Lambonius - 15 April 2014 11:45 PM
Peter254 - 15 April 2014 09:51 PM

That article reads like it was written by a completely different person.  I seriously have to wonder if John Walker isn’t actually bipolar or something.  He regularly seems to ping pong back and forth between glowing praise and slavering rants.  The guy seems completely incapable of balanced criticism.

I would be surprised if he isn’t. I mean, the only people I know who do talk/write like him in his articles are bipolar, and it tends to be very close in style.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top