• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

teme - 15 April 2014 03:26 PM
Terabin - 15 April 2014 03:15 PM

News of the mainstream gaming sites reviewing Moebius poorly don’t surprise me. How do you find a common scale to review both Moebius and Bioshock Infinite? We’re talking the difference in tens, even hundreds of millions of dollars of difference in budget.

Usually it’s more about genre than the budget - action game reviewers hate every adventure game. However, for example the Gamespot reviewer gave Moebius 4/10 and 8/10 for Broken Sword 5. And anyway, small budget indie games are pretty popular nowadays and often reviewers do give good scores for them.

Yes there is a certain exception clause to my argument about budgets and that’s the retro indie games. Games that have independent developers that are trying to nail an aesthetic from an earlier era often get a special pat on the back and the mainstream reviewers can say, it’s exactly like this old game their audiences played way back when - remember the good ole days! ala Gemini Rue. Indie developers that are trying to create a modern day gaming aesthetic DO NOT GET THE SAME PASS and are often judged harshly.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I agree with others who are saying that until the adventure game site reviews come out, there are no reviews worth paying attention to.

Man you sound like awfully comfortable within your echo chamber.

How do you find a common scale to review both Moebius and [s]Bioshock Infinite[/s] Gemini Rue/Kentucky Route zero?

Fixed

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I don’t necessarily think the reviews from Adventure-Game-centric websites are going to be any better.  I’ve found some of the reviews on this website to be wildly different from my own experience with certain games, even if they are well-written and fleshed out reviews.  When it comes to a game like this, you really just need to open yourself up to a variety of opinions, play the demo (or watch a bit of an LP if you’re that particular), and then make a judgment call as to whether or not you’d enjoy it.  I’m always a bit shocked and disappointed at how many people (especially gamers) these days seem to REQUIRE other people to do their thinking and decision-making for them.  It’s sad.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Started playing this and I’ve just reached chapter 2 - the critical review is obviously hyperbolic click-bait, but the game is damned ugly, with awkward character models. The canal in Venice was laughable - essentially made of liquid mirror. I’ve just started exploring the first location in chapter 2 and the background has become horribly low-res to the point of pixelation.

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

nomadsoul - 15 April 2014 03:54 PM

I agree with others who are saying that until the adventure game site reviews come out, there are no reviews worth paying attention to.

Man you sound like awfully comfortable within your echo chamber.

How do you find a common scale to review both Moebius and [s]Bioshock Infinite[/s] Gemini Rue/Kentucky Route zero?

Fixed

It’s unclear to me what you’re saying. If you want to form a logical argument, I am happy to engage with you.

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Lambonius - 15 April 2014 03:58 PM

I don’t necessarily think the reviews from Adventure-Game-centric websites are going to be any better.  I’ve found some of the reviews on this website to be wildly different from my own experience with certain games, even if they are well-written and fleshed out reviews.  When it comes to a game like this, you really just need to open yourself up to a variety of opinions, play the demo (or watch a bit of an LP if you’re that particular), and then make a judgment call as to whether or not you’d enjoy it.  I’m always a bit shocked and disappointed at how many people (especially gamers) these days seem to REQUIRE other people to do their thinking and decision-making for them.  It’s sad.

This. Go play the demo. Try it and see if you like it. Again Lambonius, you are very much the voice of reason.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Terabin - 15 April 2014 04:19 PM

Again Lambonius, you are very much the voice of reason.

Oh Terabin, you’re my new favorite.  Wink

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

It should also be noted (I think someone mentioned it earlier) that there are a LOT of positive reviews of this game coming out.  So the general consensus is by no means entirely negative.  From what I can see, it seems to be at worst, evenly split opinions, with more and more on the positive side coming out as the day goes on.  I am genuinely curious what the AG review will be like, given this site’s reverence for Jane Jensen’s past work.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Within - 15 April 2014 03:27 PM

Blackthorne and teme, I was perfectly happy with the decision to switch the development to Phoenix Online. I was merely saying that Signus Labs was the original developer. Every now and then I hear people saying otherwise.

Gotcha - though Fov did clear up the confusion and establish that Phoenix was the studio she originally chose to work with on this.

Bt

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

Blackthorne - 15 April 2014 04:49 PM

Gotcha - though Fov did clear up the confusion and establish that Phoenix was the studio she originally chose to work with on this.

Bt

Yes indeed. I’m not sure how the backers were supposed to not understand that Signus Labs were developing the game (the video makes it clear that they’ll be handling the Pinkerton Road production cycle) but at least now I know how it happened.

I can’t wait to try out the game tonight!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The developer debackle wasn’t the only unclear thing of the Pinkerton Road Kickstarter really. They did do pretty poor job at describing what they really were all about with that whole game development cycle thing. That’s why I ended up dropping my initial pledge to the minumum to get only one game. Which in hindsight was good for me.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

It is a shame that the game isn´t recieved well in the media, but I guess that was to be expected since we all noticed the problems with animation and models. I must say that I am surprised how happy some people on this forum are that the game is receiving poor reviews.  I on the other hand am sad because that can mean that we won´t see a new Jane Jensen game in the future.

I am not surprised that Gamespot gave such a poor rating to Moebius,I remember 3 years ago when I was thinking of playing Scratches and the only website I was visiting at that time was Gamespot, and it gave Scratches 3.9/10 rating, which was one of the worst ratings I have seen on that site.  That was the reason why I have not played it for a long time, until I found this website. After I played it I saw how great this game is and how ridiculous the review on Gamespot was, now I never look for reviews of adventure games on those mainstream websites.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Manuel - 15 April 2014 05:29 PM

I am not surprised that Gamespot gave such a poor rating to Moebius,I remember 3 years ago when I was thinking of playing Scratches and the only website I was visiting at that time was Gamespot, and it gave Scratches 3.9/10 rating, which was one of the worst ratings I have seen on that site.  That was the reason why I have not played it for a long time, until I found this website. After I played it I saw how great this game is and how ridiculous the review on Gamespot was, now I never look for reviews of adventure games on those mainstream websites.

There’re few things I’ve learned so far - I should brush my teeth before going to sleep; it’s good to eat fruits and vegetables… and to NEVER judge adventure game based on a non-adventure site reviews.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

noknowncure - 15 April 2014 04:10 PM

Started playing this and I’ve just reached chapter 2 - the critical review is obviously hyperbolic click-bait, but the game is damned ugly, with awkward character models. The canal in Venice was laughable - essentially made of liquid mirror. I’ve just started exploring the first location in chapter 2 and the background has become horribly low-res to the point of pixelation.

That’s the most ironic thing about graphics if POS were create the Moebius with pixel art or fmv no matter how bad they never get bashed because of graphics on the other hand creating hd settings most challenging for a budget game but they dared for this attract next gen gamers,hope backers gets attracted enough with final outcome too.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

Can’t get the demo to work. Says ‘get thread context failed’

Confused

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top