• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

millenia - 15 April 2014 11:37 AM

People do realise that most of the characaters represented one of the archetypes on the Moebius mythos, right? You can’t be an archetype if you are not a bit of cliched. Besides, in how many games we have this daring homosexual innuendo?

Haven’t played the game (though I did play the demo). I’m just curious what the Moebius mythos is? Did a 5 second google search but couldn’t find anything but prolly because I only had 5 seconds.

I hope the game is terrific, although I have no idea when I’ll have a chance to play.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

fov - 15 April 2014 10:56 AM

But I know when I reviewed Gray Matter for AG, I had to make a conscious effort to separate my feelings about “a Jane Jensen game” from my feelings about that game in particular, and I’m sure some reviewers are grappling with the same issue in Moebius.

If Moebius is anything like Gray Matter - I’ll be a happy man. Gray Matter is one of the best adventures in last 10 years and don’t trust me, but look the scores at adventure sites:

http://www.adventure-archiv.de/g/graymatterreviewd.htm
http://www.gameboomers.com/reviews/Gg/GrayMatter/GrayMatter.htm
http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/tests.php?id=244
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24

but I think none Kickstarter adventure have surpassed so far previous games of the designers, and that’s definitely something about the crowdfunding issue.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

nomadsoul - 15 April 2014 11:28 AM

Instantly forgettable, this game is better off lost to time. - Gamespot

That, combined with the cartoony aesthetic, makes it seem like a perfect game for kids, who could probably forgive some predictability and cliched characters.
Empire Rising is a strikingly mediocre point-and-click adventure game, adequately checking all the boxes of a traditional entry in the genre but excelling at none of them.

- Gamesradar

The journos are having field trip with this game its not just walker dude.

Now i understand that oldstyle point and click wont bode well with current trends but
shallow characters, frustrating puzzles and bad writing.
It feels like the demo i played was the best part of the game from there it goes downhill.

Remove the Brand Janejensen with everything intact and noone would have bothered with this game. And even more bad rating.

55 on metacritic right now.

Stop gloating.

As for John Walker: as time goes on I like him less and less, as goes for the whole of RPS. Still read him and the site regularly, though.
Don’t trust his every word, is all I can say. I learned this when I read this he said about Broken Age:

I actually found Vella’s side to be problematic. It’s great that the female lead is independent, and wants to find rather than concede. That’s all good. But then absolutely every other woman or girl in the game is either a controlling mother, or a vain idiot. The message becomes, “Look how she’s not like the rest of women”. Which is a pretty gross message.

A description that is far off with what the actual game contains. The only controlling mother character is the mother A.I. that guards over Shay. She’s an A.I., so it’s kinda expected that she’s stuck in her ways, and she continues to treat him like he never grew up.
The “vain idiots” he talks about are probably the sacrifice girls. But they’re not so much “vain idiots” as they were brainwashed by society to believe that the best thing they could do in their society is to sacrifice themselves to Mog Chothra.
I think main weakness actually is that it’s never explained enough why Vella wasn’t so successfully brainwashed.

But there are so many other female characters in the game the description doesn’t apply to at all: Car’l, the guards before the Dead Eyed God temple, the sacrifice girl that wasn’t picked by Mog Chothra, the little girl in the cloud colony.

So, always take a John Walker review with a grain of salt, especially if he talks about misogyny, because he’s paranoid about it and sees it everywhere.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh, was it the same John Walker who called Deponia 3 “the most sexist, racist and insulting gaming experience” he had ever encountered? Now I see what’s going on in the guy’s head.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Advie - 12 April 2014 05:51 AM

Moebius Live Launch Event

Starts within an hour

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I wonder how the reception would have been if they had gone the retro-2D AGS/wadjet eye way. The problem with 3D adventure games is that it will often look dated, due to the limited budget. Moebius looks like it could have been made using the Sims 1or2 engine, or even the older Broken Sword 3 engine. I’m curious to know how many adventure gamers really care about crisp graphics, I can imagine they rather would like a good story + intriguing puzzles.

Anyway, still 1 hr before my copy unlocks on steam, not sure when I’ll have time to try it.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t think it’s simply the graphics alone, it’s also the writing that is lacking in many places. Moebius has some good writing, but the main story never really manages to get into very interesting heights. It felt like Jane’s heart wasn’t fully in it and somehow I always had the feeling Moebius wouldn’t have been her own first choice to make. Anglophile Adventure always seemed to me as a project she would have preferred to make instead of Moebius.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Gonzosports - 15 April 2014 11:54 AM
millenia - 15 April 2014 11:37 AM

People do realise that most of the characaters represented one of the archetypes on the Moebius mythos, right? You can’t be an archetype if you are not a bit of cliched. Besides, in how many games we have this daring homosexual innuendo?

Haven’t played the game (though I did play the demo). I’m just curious what the Moebius mythos is? Did a 5 second google search but couldn’t find anything but prolly because I only had 5 seconds.

I hope the game is terrific, although I have no idea when I’ll have a chance to play.

I believe that part of the game is fiction, as were the actual werewolves and stuff in GK games. But you’ll understand it when you play it, don’t want to spoil.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

tomimt - 15 April 2014 01:22 PM

I don’t think it’s simply the graphics alone, it’s also the writing that is lacking in many places. Moebius has some good writing, but the main story never really manages to get into very interesting heights. It felt like Jane’s heart wasn’t fully in it and somehow I always had the feeling Moebius wouldn’t have been her own first choice to make. Anglophile Adventure always seemed to me as a project she would have preferred to make instead of Moebius.

I honestly would have preferred Anglophile, I think I even voted for it, but I think Moebius isn’t really so much a story about Moebius but the friendship between the main characters, and in that I think it succeeds. I hope the game doesn’t flop, I’d actually like a sequel very much even though it wasn’t perfect.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I hope Moebius sells as well, because it would be nice to see new Jane Jensen game made with proper budget.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

tomimt - 15 April 2014 01:22 PM

Anglophile Adventure always seemed to me as a project she would have preferred to make instead of Moebius.

I think you might be right, though I also would have thought Jane was sure what would win the vote. She actually said she was surprised how well received the other options were.

And on the other hand, call me prejudiced, but I’m somewhat sceptical about the ability of an American to write “Anglophile Adventures”. Just as a starting point, the name itself grates. And as David Styles’ home and Oxford were somewhat clichéd in Grey Matter, I don’t think my prejudices are totally unfair Wink

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The launch party should be starting in a few minutes. Here’s the direct link:

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

nomadsoul - 15 April 2014 11:28 AM

Instantly forgettable, this game is better off lost to time. - Gamespot

That, combined with the cartoony aesthetic, makes it seem like a perfect game for kids, who could probably forgive some predictability and cliched characters.
Empire Rising is a strikingly mediocre point-and-click adventure game, adequately checking all the boxes of a traditional entry in the genre but excelling at none of them.

- Gamesradar

The journos are having field trip with this game its not just walker dude.

Now i understand that oldstyle point and click wont bode well with current trends but
shallow characters, frustrating puzzles and bad writing.
It feels like the demo i played was the best part of the game from there it goes downhill.

Remove the Brand Janejensen with everything intact and noone would have bothered with this game. And even more bad rating.

55 on metacritic right now.

You speak the truth.

When it was announced (AFTER the Kickstarter had ended) that Phoenix Online Studios would be developing Moebius, I felt cheated. Would I have supported the project knowing that such a low-level developer with a poor track record would be used? No. I figured that the situation had to be so dire for Jane to have to resort using backers’ money on such a developer.

Nevertheless, I hoped that Jane Jensen’s writing could save what would inevitably be very a substandard game, technically, in Phoenix Online Studios’ less-than-capable hands. Sadly, the game didn’t work out, as early players and reviewers are finding out.

Take away the “Jensen” brand, and what do you have with Moebius? An entirely forgettable game that wouldn’t have even registered a blip on the adventure game scene.

However, the unintentional comedy in the bad animation and bad acting is kind of fun, in the same way watching and making fun of really bad movies can be entertaining. So, if you’ve already paid for Moebius, it’s not a total loss. Get some popcorn, play it with a friend, and prepare to have a few laughs. Might as well make the best of it.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-01-04

PM

I just finished after almost exactly ten hours, and I really enjoyed it.

The game certainly has its flaws. The 3D models are awkward and not well-animated, and the lip-synch leaves much to be desired. It also suffers from some frustrating item-related puzzles due to it not letting you pick things up before Malachai knows he needs them. (A problem by no means unique to Moebius, but that’s the game I’m talking about right now, so ...)

I mean at one point I flew from one city to another and back again so I could pick up a bottle of Whiskey and a pair of earrings. Apparently Washington D.C. does not have liquor stores or jewellery Smile.

Also, ending on a maze was not a good decision. Especially since it’s tedious rather than challenging and seems to have been included just to kill time so Chapter Seven isn’t too short.

Oh, and it was also buggy in places. Mostly places relating to the animation, at least for me.

But you know what? I really liked it. I loved the analysis puzzles. I liked flying around the world trying to unravel the plot and visiting the great variety of locations. (The backgrounds, unlike the characters, are very pretty.) I liked the music. Most of all, I liked Malachai and David. I liked David’s awful jokes and Malachai’s bitchy remarks about everyone’s decorating choices, and the relationship between the two of them that’s at the heart of the game. I would very much like to see them have further adventures, and consider my modest amount of backer money well invested.

I mean, that doesn’t mean I don’t think they probably should have gone with 2D graphics and let Malachai stuff his infinite pockets with everything in sight, but it didn’t stop me from having fun.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I agree with the above. I still don’t know a thing about earrings though.

And instead of big pockets I would have just totally changed the puzzles and/or locations so that there wouldn’t be running aroung the world looking for mundane items as a character that could afford to buy whatever from whomever. These kind of puzzles are a very common sin in adventures, but I’m hoping we’d finally start to get rid of them. They are not good puzzles, all the deciphering and other puzzle-puzzles stood out a lot less than these fetching quests.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top