• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloserSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I finished it. Took me a little under 8 hours and I only got stumped on that bug with Dominique. Overall, Moebius is an okay game, but not a great one. I’d say it’s propably the weakest script Jane has done. I’d give it 2,5 stars.

Also, a maze in the end? Really?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So i was right when i was bashing it and where is the defenceforce now.
All the PoS supporters are realizing the letdown now.

It begins

Moebius wasn’t so much an emotional rollercoaster as an emotional fall down a hole. I went from mildly interested, to laughing at how stupid it is, to hating it with a fiery passion. You find me in that latter mode, now the achingly long, tedious adventure is finally over.

What begins as a distracting, almost charmingly old-school point and click adventure quickly dives into a humourless farce, before finding its groove as the most pedantic, tiresome and misanthropic slog in a good long year.

Moebius is an utter disaster of a game. An entirely unlikeable or vacuous cast, a contempt for women like I’ve never seen, and indeed almost equal contempt for men, gibberish puzzles, ghastly animation, flawed conceits, the stupidest plot idea I can remember, and the whole thing scored with lift music. It’s as if the moustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3 got an agent, and a starring role as an entire game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-23

PM

nomadsoul - 15 April 2014 09:16 AM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/15/moebius-review/

WoW..that was probably the most damning review for just about anything i’ve read in forever. How horrendously disappointing.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s unmistakebly John Walker’s style of writing. Sick I’ll wait for a more objective, balanced and informative review.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

tomimt - 15 April 2014 09:03 AM

I finished it. Took me a little under 8 hours and I only got stumped on that bug with Dominique. Overall, Moebius is an okay game, but not a great one. I’d say it’s propably the weakest script Jane has done. I’d give it 2,5 stars.

Also, a maze in the end? Really?

It’s not just a maze. It’s a very bad maze. Sigh

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 15 April 2014 09:36 AM

That’s unmistakebly John Walker’s style of writing. Sick I’ll wait for a more objective, balanced and informative review.

Agreed, the guy seems to be he so full of himself, his intelligence and tolerance. Most of his issues with the game are either far-fetched or non-existent.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Metacritic so far has 80/100, 60/100, 50/100 and 40/100. Not great reviews. Unlocks for me in a few hours on Steam.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/moebius-empire-rising

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

There have been positive reviews too. Here are some:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/moebius-empire-rising-pc-review-lets-go-round-again
http://www.gamezebo.com/games/moebius-empire-rising/review
http://it.ign.com/recensione/12972/moebius-empire-rising-riporta-in-scena-jane-jensen

So far, opinions definitely seem divided in a ‘love it or hate it’ way, which is interesting to me. On the one hand, it’s an independent, crowdfunded game with a relatively small budget, which puts it in a totally different category than any adventure game Jane’s worked on before. But expectations are high because of her pedigree and I wonder if that changes how reviewers (and players) feel about it… like if it doesn’t live up to their expectations, people get upset/angry/disappointed in a way they wouldn’t about a game from an unknown designer and score it more harshly than they might otherwise.

I’m not making a judgment on the game one way or the other—I’ve been involved with the PR ever since the Kickstarter, so I’m way too close to it to be objective. But I know when I reviewed Gray Matter for AG, I had to make a conscious effort to separate my feelings about “a Jane Jensen game” from my feelings about that game in particular, and I’m sure some reviewers are grappling with the same issue in Moebius.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

tomimt - 15 April 2014 07:32 AM
zane - 15 April 2014 07:14 AM

Then i believe you should have all the data points you need to analyze her and choose her identity, have you done that too?

The game seems to be bugged here. I had to replay the chapter from the beginning, as I had no earlier save on there. The first time I left her apartment several time to fetch the earrings first, then the alcohol. That might have caused a glitch somewhere.

I saw no earrings at any point of my game and went through it easily.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Doom - 15 April 2014 10:41 AM
Karlok - 15 April 2014 09:36 AM

Agreed, the guy seems to be he so full of himself, his intelligence and tolerance. Most of his issues with the game are either far-fetched or non-existent.

Instantly forgettable, this game is better off lost to time. - Gamespot

That, combined with the cartoony aesthetic, makes it seem like a perfect game for kids, who could probably forgive some predictability and cliched characters.
Empire Rising is a strikingly mediocre point-and-click adventure game, adequately checking all the boxes of a traditional entry in the genre but excelling at none of them.

- Gamesradar

The journos are having field trip with this game its not just walker dude.

Now i understand that oldstyle point and click wont bode well with current trends but
shallow characters, frustrating puzzles and bad writing.
It feels like the demo i played was the best part of the game from there it goes downhill.

Remove the Brand Janejensen with everything intact and noone would have bothered with this game. And even more bad rating.

55 on metacritic right now.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

the problems i have with the plot:
its a mystery story without a mystery. Within a few chapters they spell just about everything out for you.
Im not buying the moebius theory… but more importantly i dont know why any of the characters buy it. Nobody really sees much of any kind of evidence, except malachi’s delusions.
The villain’s “plot” is so underwhelming… why does he believe this guy is really caeser if he thinks he can break the pattern by getting him to marry his daughter? Couldnt he just break the pattern a thousand other ways?
The story revolves around all this politicking and world powers and conspiracy.. and yet the story concludes with “yay malachi let david use his pet name” and “stick a flagpole up your ass conspiracy!” Just… bleh.
I also have trouble liking malachi, im not completely sure why.. hes just not a protagonist i care for very much.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Let’s be honest though, a lot of GOOD adventure games have been panned by mainstream gaming review sites from memory.

I’m most interested in reviews from adventure gaming sites (hint, hint).

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I wouldn’t give it 5 stars but this bashing seems silly. Did they even play the game?
Cliched characters? People do realise that most of the characaters represented one of the archetypes on the Moebius mythos, right? You can’t be an archetype if you are not a bit of cliched. Besides, in how many games we have this daring homosexual innuendo?

I think the story was fine as were the characters, my only problem is that the puzzles were not really on par with GK, even though almost all of the deduction parts were fun enough. I was entertained and honestly thought that the parts that were seen in the early demo were very slow and probably the most boring ones in the game (I only played some early alpha in Venice so not sure if people refer to different parts when talking about the demo) the game picked up after meeting David.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

nomadsoul - 15 April 2014 11:28 AM

Now i understand that oldstyle point and click wont bode well with current trends but
shallow characters, frustrating puzzles and bad writing.
It feels like the demo i played was the best part of the game from there it goes downhill.

I have yet to finish the game, but so far the writing is very good and up to Jensen’s standards. Characters are interesting enough. They lack the depth of those in Gabriel Knight games, but only because you don’t spend much time with them as Malachi travels a lot. You still get extra info by analising them.

Regarding inventory puzzles all the criticism is fair, and I wrote my concerns long ago. But I recall the same websites praised games like Black Mirror, Still Life, Runaway, Last Horizon and many other adventure games of the last decade for EXACTLY the same kind of linear puzzle design. And what happened now? As it seems, Jensen just tried to appeal to modern audience. And all of a sudden the modern audience doesn’t appreciate this kind of puzzle design? Whose fault is that? Confused

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top