• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I wish it were nitpicking!

The graphics are much worse than serviceable, sadly. They’re a detriment to my enjoyment. I can’t ignore them, because they’re part of the experience. They have to carry the atmosphere. The music isn’t all that great all the time either. I loathe the tune in Malachi’s office. It’s so annoying!

If it’s good enough for you, fine. But sadly, if it’s not good enough for me as a fan, I doubt it will be good enough for many general adventure gamers or especially for the only occassionally adventure games playing audience.

People should play the demo before they buy. Then they will see if it’s good enough for them.

Edit: Yep, the Phoenix Online Store copy is DRM free!

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

OrionO - 14 April 2014 07:19 PM

Jensen is like a world-class horse jockey who has been stuck in a race with a mule to ride.

This is, quite possibly, the most absurd thing I have ever read on these forums.  And that is REALLY saying something.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

ozzie - 14 April 2014 07:56 PM

I wish it were nitpicking!

The graphics are much worse than serviceable, sadly. They’re a detriment to my enjoyment. I can’t ignore them, because they’re part of the experience. They have to carry the atmosphere. The music isn’t all that great all the time either. I loathe the tune in Malachi’s office. It’s so annoying!

If it’s good enough for you, fine. But sadly, if it’s not good enough for me as a fan, I doubt it will be good enough for many general adventure gamers or especially for the only occassionally adventure games playing audience.

People should play the demo before they buy. Then they will see if it’s good enough for them.

Edit: Yep, the Phoenix Online Store copy is DRM free!

I agree they should try the demo.

I’m sorry that you can’t enjoy another great game by one of the adventure game masters. Sad for you!! My annoyance at you and others naysaying the graphics and the game is that others won’t try it because you bash it. Many adventure gamers value story, characters, and dialogue above things like graphics. I personally think the graphics work just fine. There needs to be an alternative voice to the loud negative few so that your words don’t scare people away.

How far are you into the game anyway? Have you given the story a chance to unfold at all?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

The music isn’t all that great all the time either. I loathe the tune in Malachi’s office. It’s so annoying!

That’d be Robert Holmes, mind you, not Pheonix Online.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

OrionO - 14 April 2014 07:19 PM
Gabe - 14 April 2014 04:26 PM

I promise if i ever won the big prize at lottery i’ll invest 1m$ Jensen’s next title for ensure decent graphics design,since GK3 her games&gamers; suffering from poor graphics consistently, someone has to make it stop.

This is so true. She deserves a decent developer. Jensen is like a world-class horse jockey who has been stuck in a race with a mule to ride. You can give the mule all the coaching in the world, but that mule ain’t becoming a thoroughbred race horse.

I agree. I wish she had better development resources.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Lambonius - 14 April 2014 08:13 PM

The music isn’t all that great all the time either. I loathe the tune in Malachi’s office. It’s so annoying!

That’d be Robert Holmes, mind you, not Pheonix Online.

I’m very much aware of that. I’m not here to lambast the efforts of Phoenix Online, merely the faults of the game. There’s some good music in Moebius, most of it is good actually.
But yeah, Robert Holmes’ work can be pretty uneven in my opinion.
I don’t think he’s someone that can intricately craft a piece of music, his composing skills seem pretty rudimentary to me, but he can craft the occassional great tune if he’s got the right idea, which doesn’t happen too rarely.
Still, it’s disappointing that the soundtrack to Gray Matter sounds a lot better than that of Moebius. I thought the former was his best work, not a bad tune, great from start to finish. Though the way the music was spread through the game was less than ideal.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Putting aside graphics and animation quality perceptions, you all do realize that Pheonix Online basically single-handedly convinced Jane to come out of retirement don’t you?  Her kickstarter would not have happened at all if they hadn’t had success with their Cognition kickstarter.  The graphical criticisms aren’t without merit—they definitely COULD be better, animations in particular, but this idea that the game would have been a masterpiece IF ONLY Pheonix Online hadn’t been involved is ludicrous.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Oh, I’m glad we have Moebius rather than nothing at all. And I still will play it and enjoy parts of it.

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Thank you Lambonius. You are the voice of reason.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Terabin - 14 April 2014 08:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, it’s not you.  It’s just that I would have never dreamed of seeing that phrase uttered on these forums.  I appreciate that!  Wink

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Smile Glad to be an affirmer of reason wherever I can find it!

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Lambonius - 14 April 2014 08:43 PM
Terabin - 14 April 2014 08:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, it’s not you.  It’s just that I would have never dreamed of seeing that phrase uttered on these forums.  I appreciate that!  Wink

He only said that because he doesn’t know you too well. Wink

Terabin - 14 April 2014 08:10 PM

I agree they should try the demo.

I’m sorry that you can’t enjoy another great game by one of the adventure game masters. Sad for you!! My annoyance at you and others naysaying the graphics and the game is that others won’t try it because you bash it. Many adventure gamers value story, characters, and dialogue above things like graphics. I personally think the graphics work just fine. There needs to be an alternative voice to the loud negative few so that your words don’t scare people away.

How far are you into the game anyway? Have you given the story a chance to unfold at all?

I’m at the start of chapter 3. And of course I give the story a chance, geez! The story and gameplay are the best part of the damn thing! I don’t have to complain anything about them, really…
Well, the long laugh of Malachi and Walker about Walker’s joke at the start of Chapter 3 was a bit weird, but I guess that was more of a problem of the voice direction/acting.

Maybe I’m loud. I won’t say anything more about the graphical deficiencies. I think me and others who complained were heard enough. Mostly I wish Moebius to be a success, so that Jane Jensen will continue to produce adventure games. But since the first impressions of Moebius are for many horrible, I doubt that will be the case. And I wish I could recommend Moebius to people.

I don’t care about graphics fidelity, but I care about graphics quality. I care about atmosphere. I care about the whole package.

Anyway, enough about that.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

No, Moebius game would have been A LOT better with a decent developer. Phoenix Online couldn’t cut it, sadly. It’s understandable if people want to reflexively defend a group, but it does no one any good to make excuses for subpar work.

Claiming that this team convinced someone to come out of retirement is neither here nor there, and it’s simply a way to suggest that we owe them and that we shouldn’t judge them as we would another developer. Phoenix Online are the lucky ones to have had the opportunity to work with an experienced industry veteran, especially given the fact that Phoenix Online’s track record is, shall we say, less than long and stellar. They gave it their best, and good for them. Now the wider adventure gaming customer base can decide whether this product is worth the asking price.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2012-08-29

PM

Terabin - 14 April 2014 07:33 PM

You nitpicking people are crazy.

This is my first time playing the game (just downloaded, didn’t play demo) and as I play through the first scenes, the graphics are absolutely fine. The animations fine. The backgrounds beautiful. At worst the graphics are serviceable. I like the graphics better than Cognition’s graphics already. The Phoenix Online people have made leaps and bounds beyond where they were. Jane’s acknowledged that she’s working with a developer that’s learning as they go; I’m excited to see what the graphics look like by the end of the game.

I love the dialogue already. I can tell that the game is going to be witty and filled with interesting, fleshed out characters. I’m excited to hop around the world with Malachi!

Don’t let the graphical nitpicking naysayers ruin your opinion before you’ve played it, Jane Jensen fans!

I completely agree.

I understand that people have strong opinions and want the best production values possible for a Jane Jensen project - I do, too! - but people should have a bit more perspective… We’re long past the glory days of Sierra Online with the King’s Quest revenue flowing in.

Edit:  Just want to say, I don’t mean to suggest all those with negative opinions are oblivious to the realities of the situation.  And I do appreciate the “civility” of this discussion.  Anyway, carry on…

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m in the middle of Chapter 3, and so far I’m enjoying writing, music, even graphics; everything has a strong Gabriel Knight feel about it. Only Malachi model bothers me (it gets too glitchy at times) and those “realistic” inventory puzzles I mentioned before. Now, how realistic is that: running around New York, collecting household goods items for a simplistic puzzle involving thievery!, only because the guy refused to pick them up 20 or so minutes ago? I’m even starting to wish there was no inventory at all, just deduction mini-games. Those are fun and well thought-out.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top