• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanHenk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 29 March 2014

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I remember liking the atmosphere and graphics of Dracula: Resurrection (1999), but I can’t seem to recall much about the gameplay. Loading it up to take today’s screenshot made me want to play it again though. The intro really sets the mood.

Anyway, we have a creepy looking grave with some Latin text about blood engraved on it. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a way to get rid of the cursor which kind of taints the screenshot a bit.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

One of the best adventures I have ever played.

Its story, intriguing puzzles, well balanced puzzle difficulty, beautiful graphics, interesting (and nicely voiced) characters, eery music and creepy general atmosphere (obtained without cheap “here comes an axe to your head” effects) make it a genuine AG player’s delight.

I play it in February (when it’s dark and when there’s snow outside) every third or fourth year. Last time I did so in February of 2012, during a blizzard. Cool

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

It looks like Amerzone with that cursor.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Yeah, one of the best games ever. I think it’s time to replay it.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

harald - 29 March 2014 07:42 AM

It looks like Amerzone with that cursor.

Oddly enough, I don’t remember that pointer.

Here’s how the cursor/pointer icons in Dracula 1 look like:

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Zobraks is right. (He usually is. Smile)  That Amerzone cursor looks very strange in Dracula Resurrection. Of course Bastich will ignore these comments. (He usually does.Frown)

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

That definitely is the cursor from Amerzone and a look at screenshots from the original game release show a different cursor that consists of a red dot bordered by gold which looks much better and is less visually intrusive.

I took this shot from the Gog.com Dracula Trilogy edition and I can only speculate as to why the Amerzone cursor is there:

1. Amerzone uses the same engine?
2. The original Dracula engine version has some compatibility problems with modern PCs?
3. So they updated the Dracula game with the newer version of the engine used in Amerzone?
4. The original cursor was changed accidentally due to #3?

EDIT: Okay, I looked in the game install directory and there are files called cursor.gif/pcx. The incorrect cursors are the pcx files. If you’ve purchased the Gog.com trilogy like I have, you can simply copy the cursor.pcx files from the Dracula: Last Sanctuary game install into the Dracula: Resurrection install folder and you will get the original cursors back. Here’s the same screenshot taken again after the change:

Much better.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

That’s more like it.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Funny, this is what my version of Dracula: Resurrection looked like:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s a very rare cursor, Diego!  I’m pretty sure the Kickstarter project Resurrect Dracula Resurrection designed it exclusively for backers who pledged $250 or more.  I envy you!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I like Diego’s version the best.

Since it’s so easy to edit the cursor you can also just make it completely invisible. It can be a bit difficult in the menus and stuff, but it makes looking around in the world a tiny bit more immersive. Here is the shot once again with the cursor gone:

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I can see a new meme:

Karlok - 29 March 2014 02:08 PM

That’s a very rare cursor, Diego!  I’m pretty sure the Kickstarter project Resurrect Dracula Resurrection designed it exclusively for backers who pledged $250 or more.  I envy you!

Tongue It shipped with my vampire teeth, tuxedo & Dracula cape. It’s a steal if you ask me.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Here we go again...

Mrs. Ratched will be with you in a minute.

Oh, there she is:

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

she looks like a nut bag already

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I love her sausage rolls. Very seductive.  Heart Eyes