• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 26 March 2014

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

It’s a shame that I had to downsize and crop such an awesome screenshot from Dear Esther (2012) to fit the forum width as it truly looks magnificent in widescreen and in high resolution.

Anyway, I already know some of you are chomping at the bit to say this isn’t an adventure game, that it’s nothing but a walking simulator, blah blah blah. Regardless, from a storytelling perspective it absolutely wipes the floor with almost every game in the adventure genre.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’d have taken a screenshot in the caves; I thought that was the prettiest part of the game.

That being said, walking simulator waste of time ugh. More to the point, the slow walking speed actively discouraged me from exploration because I was constantly afraid I’ll have to backtrack.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Story, what story?

The narrator walks across the island to the blinking red light and jumps off the tower. He talks gibberish about someone (Esther?), who probably died in a car crash, which might have been caused by someone called Paul or by the narrator himself, or maybe not.

The rest is up to the player. You can read anything into Dear Esther. The game is filled to the brim with meaningful or meaningless symbols. Both a strength and a weakness.

I loved Dear Esther, played it several times. It’s an emotional experience and I have my own interpretation of what everything stands for. But there is no story.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top