• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 19 March 2014

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I have to say that I loathe save game systems like the one in Emerald City Confidential (2009) where it saves automatically and you can’t ever revisit any scenes without playing the entire game over again because there are no restore points to load from. In fact, if I know a game has such a thing in the future, I will not buy it. Period. Despite that, it was an enjoyable and interesting experience in the Wizard of Oz universe. A bit too easy perhaps, but with a lot of style. I would certainly recommend the game, particularly for those new to the genre.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

So you either bought Emerald City recently, or you didn’t pay for The Inner World, which was SotD four months ago.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bastich - 19 March 2014 12:05 AM

I have to say that I loathe save game systems like the one in Emerald City Confidential (2009) where it saves automatically and you can’t ever revisit any scenes without playing the entire game over again because there are no restore points to load from. In fact, if I know a game has such a thing in the future, I will not buy it. Period. Despite that, it was an enjoyable and interesting experience in the Wizard of Oz universe. A bit too easy perhaps, but with a lot of style. I would certainly recommend the game, particularly for those new to the genre.

If I remember correctly the game was developed for the casual market hence it being on the easy side & only having one auto-save slot. I only bought it because Dave Gilbert was the developer - I’d loved it to have been more challenging but I enjoyed it anyway!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think the Asylum authors were planning to abandon the save system for some reason. I’m also not happy with it and I don’t understand why someone would force me to use auto-save. That said, I did enjoy Emerald City. It was very well-written for a casual game. I’d say other games by Dave Gilbert (Shivah, Blackwell series) are not that much harder, yet they lack the charm and originality of this one. Wish there was a sequel.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Despite a couple of glitches in the Mac port, which had Dorothy walking on a blank screen in two spots, I enjoyed the game very much.  Since I didn’t remember that it had an auto-save system, I guess it didn’t bother me at the time.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Doom - 19 March 2014 09:15 AM

I think the Asylum authors were planning to abandon the save system for some reason. I’m also not happy with it and I don’t understand why someone would force me to use auto-save. That said, I did enjoy Emerald City. It was very well-written for a casual game. I’d say other games by Dave Gilbert (Shivah, Blackwell series) are not that much harder, yet they lack the charm and originality of this one. Wish there was a sequel.

The one auto-save in casual Games is the norm. As I understand it Dave Gilbert was ‘commissioned’ to develop the game & was given a far larger budget to play with than he has to develop his ‘own’ games. Yes, I agree ECC was very well written but disagree that The Shivah & Blackwell series were not that much harder & lack the charm & originality of it. For me ECC confidential was not that challenging unlike The Blackwell series which in my mind were far more substantial as AGs with just as much originality & charm - I just wish that DG had as bigger budget to invest in developing those games!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 19 March 2014 02:37 PM

For me ECC confidential was not that challenging unlike The Blackwell series which in my mind were far more substantial as AGs with just as much originality & charm - I just wish that GB had as bigger budget to invest in developing those games!

I only played the first and half of the second game in Blackwell series. The characters didn’t interest me enough to continue. Although I read the games got better with every installment, so the difficulty and overall quality probably improved. Still Emerald City felt like a more solid production to me as far as the writing goes…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I loved Emerald City. I didn’t feel the one save-slot was much of an issue, as I usually exhausted a screen before moving on, but I can see how it would be annoying, especially when trying to take a screenshot!

This is one of my top under-rated games, I loved the story, the more mature, quirky and unique characters and the obvious love for the source material.
More than any other Oz adaption, this was the one that made me really want to read the original books.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top