• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tourism games

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

What I would call “Tourism Games” are those in which you visit a real place in the present day and the place is left visually intact. They usually have lots of sightseeing - museums, churches, castles. The story and puzzles can, of course, be fictional. It also differs from the historical category of games. For example, while Secrets of Da Vinci is very accurate historically it’s not like taking a trip to Italy.

The List
Gabriel Knight 2 - Munich, Germany
Yoomurjak’s Ring - Eger, Hungary
Quiet Weekend at Capri - Capri, Italia
Carol Reed series - Norrköping, Sweden
Riddle of the Sphinx - Giza, Egypt

Any others? It doesn’t have to be photo-based, I just can’t think of any that aren’t.

I’m not sure whether I’d include Gabriel Knight 3. It’s not because the graphics aren’t photographic - Rennes-le-Château is a real place but I suspect a lot of the places in GK3 are made up and/or changed for the game. I may be wrong Smile

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Traitors Gate comes to mind, Oscar.  Many of the tourist areas of the Tower of London are represented accurately.  As for the realism of the sewers, I couldn’t say. Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Grey Matter (Oxford, England) should be added to the list too, Oscar.

And Black Mirror’s Willow Creek perhaps.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Good suggestions, I’ll add those two.

What do you think about Lost Crown? I know Saxton is a real place in England but I’m not sure it’s on the coast.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The real place is called Polperro which is in Cornwall.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Lucien21 - 09 July 2012 02:37 AM

The real place is called Polperro which is in Cornwall.

Well worth a visit in real life! Smile

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Anacapri: The Dream
Golden Gate
Byzantine: The Betrayal

Not really present day, but still historically accurate
Noir: A Shadowy Thriller
Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
1893: A World’s Fair Mystery (text adventure with pics)

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

The Sydney Mystery? Haven’t played that but from the description it sounds like it could fit.

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

There is a little known free game playable online, called Warsaw’s Mission: Bielany. Just photos, not an FMV game, but very informative about the capital of Poland, its geography and history.
Mission Bielany 2 is not yet released, it will allow the player to visit the cities of Torun and Cracow.

I really liked most games suggested in this thread (I have yet to play 1893: A World’s Fair Mystery, which I recently bought as part of the “adventure bundle”). In particular, the recent Yoomurjak’s Ring is outstanding, IMHO.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 09 July 2012 04:19 AM

1893: A World’s Fair Mystery (text adventure with pics)

Excellent! How did I miss this one?

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

I would probably include Barrow Hill. Although it’s based on several places combined rather than one single real place with that exact layout, it’s a close visual depiction of the Cornish countryside. Comparing Barrow Hill to pictures of the places it’s based on is pretty neat. Smile

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

All Gabriel Knights fall into this category, no? GK1 - New Orleans, US; GK3 - Rennes-le-Château, France.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dienerstrasse - 12 July 2012 12:39 AM

All Gabriel Knights fall into this category, no? GK1 - New Orleans, US; GK3 - Rennes-le-Château, France.

Could be, but I think it would depend how closely the games mirror the locations. If it was just about visiting a tourist spot you could throw in Fate of Atlantis - Algiers, Algeria and Sam & Max - New York, US. I know the cathedral in GK3 is real and the maps of both games are probably mostly real but everything else? Anyone been to the Dixieland Drug Store?

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Off-topic:

Dienerstrasse - 12 July 2012 12:39 AM

GK1 - New Orleans

Oscar - 12 July 2012 01:20 AM

Anyone been to the Dixieland Drug Store?

“When I got to New Orleans I made sure I wasn’t in any whorehouse, even though the whole town looked like one.”
(Charles Bukowski, “Notes of a Dirty Old Man”)

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Oscar - 12 July 2012 01:20 AM

Could be, but I think it would depend how closely the games mirror the locations. If it was just about visiting a tourist spot you could throw in Fate of Atlantis - Algiers, Algeria and Sam & Max - New York, US. I know the cathedral in GK3 is real and the maps of both games are probably mostly real but everything else? Anyone been to the Dixieland Drug Store?

Well, I know that many of the GK3 locations at least exist very much for real. I can’t speak for GK1, but I do think it feels more genuine than just a generic “we’re in this country now, no really!” game. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cemetery, the lake and the university featured in the game (can’t remember their names now) all exist for real, for example. How well the VGA graphics correspond to the real thing is another matter, of course. Tongue

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-09-07

PM

I made my own adventure game a while back. It´s also in Sweden like the Carol Reed games.
You could try that if you want.
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6135&highlight=artifact

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top