• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Annual Academy Awards Ballot thread

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

My picks:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave

12 Years a Slave is a slavery biopic, so that’s what’s going to win. It’s a good film too, but imo, Gravity was better. But this isn’t about who I want to win, but about who I think will win. Still, Gravity has a shot, and so does American Hustle.

Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

I thought that Leo DiCaprio woud finally get his statuette, but with the form McConaughey has been displaying these past couple of years, and with his physical transformation for this role, he’s a shoe-in, imo.

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine

Amy Adams could have a shot here, but Blanchett has been dominating the award ceremonies this year, and the Oscars will be no different, imo.

Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

Barkhad Abdi and Fassbender are outsiders, but Jared Leto will most likely win. And then I’ll have to congratulate my brother-in-law on getting his picture taken a few years ago (the night of the 2011 Pukkelpop disaster) not only with the frontman of 30 Seconds to Mars, but with an Oscar winner as well. Tongue

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o - 12 Years a Slave

It’s a toss-up between Jennifer Lawrence and Lupita Nyong’o here, but Lawrence has the disadvantage of having won last year. Still, this is often a surprising category so I wouldn’t even rule out June Squibb for the shock win.

Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón - Gravity

Seriously, if Cuarón DOESN’T win the Oscar here, I’m willing to fly over there, snatch the bloody thing out of Steve McQueen or Martin Scorsese’s hands (even though they both did a great job too) and give it to Cuarón myself. Most awesome direction since… well, Children of Men, probably. Smile

Best Original Screenplay: Her (Spike Jonze)

Spike Jonze’s wildly creative script is the likely winner, but American Hustle has a shot too. And frankly, with ten nominations, if it fails here and for best supporting actress, then what WILL American Hustle win???

Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave

12 Years a Slave will win Best Picture, but not Best Director, so it’s rather obvious they’ll take the Screenplay award as well. Captain Phillips and The Wolf of Wall Street are the longshots.

Best Animated Film: Frozen

Due to a lack of serious Academy Award competition, Frozen is practically the only candidate, imo. Especially since they usually don’t give the Oscar to Miyazaki (Spirited Away excepted).
*gasp* No Pixar nomination? Meh, serves them right for their drop in quality in recent years…

Best Foreign Language Film: La grande bellezza (Italy)

This should’ve been La Vie d’Adèle’s win, but they got snubbed. Other contenders are Jagten (but that was released too early in the year) and The Broken Circle Breakdown (which is a really good film with great performances, but shouldn’t beat Jagten, and Jagten won’t beat La grande bellezza).

Best Cinematography: Gravity

Cinematograpy in Gravity was by far the best I’ve seen. It even beats that of last year’s Skyfall, so it should win. In fact, Gravity should win almost all the technical awards to come out as this year’s big winner (althought Best Director would be their only ‘big’ award).
It’s only right for a movie that awesome and intense.

Best Editing: Gravity

Expect to hear “And the Academy Award goes to…” followed by “Gravity!” a lot during the earlier parts of the show…

Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby

Like Australia, Baz Luhrmann’s film didn’t turn out to be the Oscar contender it’d set out to be, but that’s not from a lack of great production and costume design. American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave are longshots here.

Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby

Again with American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave as the longshots.

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club

Because Jackass has a bigger chance of winning than The Lone Ranger, and frankly, Jackass has NO chance of winning because it’s Jackass.

Best Original Score: Gravity - Steven Price

Tough category this year, but as much as I’d like another win for John Williams, he’s got Desplat and Price to battle. I’ve a feeling this one will go Gravity’s way too. Even though Desplat (who’s my second pick) is overdue on an Oscar…

Best Original Song: Let It Go - Frozen

Although U2’s song could win too, my money’s on Disney.

Best Sound Mixing: Gravity

No surprises there.

Best Sound Editing: Gravity

Gravity. Because Cuarón is a genius film maker.

Best Visual Effects: Gravity

There are no other contenders, imo.

Best Documentary: The Act of Killing

This’ll either be 20 Feet from Stardom or The Act of Killing (with The Square as an outsider), but I’m thinking they’ll go with the depressing documentary instead of the successful mainstream one. I have been wrong before with this, though…

Best Short Documentary: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life

Facing Fear is probably an outsider, but this’ll most likely go to The Lady in Number 6.

Best Short Animated Film: Get a Horse!

I can see Mr. Hublot take this too, but my bet is on the one that showed just before Frozen.

Best Short Live Action Film: The Voorman Problem

Avant que de tout perdre and Helium are contenders too, but I’m going with Voorman. It has Martin Freeman in it. Cool

Overall a pretty tough year with a few categories that could go either way. Gravity will win big in the technical categories, though, and deservedly so.
Inside Llewyn Davis has been grossly overlooked in several categories. C’mon, Oscar Isaac is WAY too talented not to get a nod. And for the love of God, just round the Best Picture category to 10 nominations already!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 27 February 2014 05:29 AM

Yay, there’s that one Finnish film in the last category Tongue

I wonder, if there’s a usual type of “here are the nominees” moment. I mean if so, I’m fascinated to hear how they pronounce the title.

I’m pretty sure they’ll pronounce “Pitääkö mun kaikki hoitaa?” as “Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?”. Wink

Also, I wonder why certain categories have less candidates, even though there obviously could be more? Like, original song and hairstyling & make-up (I don’t see why for example The Hobbit wouldn’t be nominated for either…)

The makeup & hairstyling category only exists since the early ‘80s, and the first few times there were only two nominees.
Why they didn’t up it to 5 nominees when they changed the name from “Best Makeup” to “Best Makeup and Hairstyling” is beyond me. The Academy is weird that way.
Just like they are nominating 9 films for Best Picture instead of a round 10…

As for Original Song, there were originally 5 nominations this year, but the titular song “Alone Yet Not Alone” was disqualified after its writer Bruce Broughton (a member of the executive committee of the musical branch of the Academy) had contacted several of the Academy’s voters for support.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hell yeah Mathew won, hate dicaprio hype all around.

Mathew all the way, party time.

Time to win Emmy next for True detective.

Not to mention Interstellar at years end and Japanese Suicide forest film
next year, Mathew on the roll.

Grin

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

20 out of 24.

Missed out on one of the screenplay ones (Went to my should have guess “Her”), Original Score, Best Documentary and Animated SHort.

As predicted Gravity won the night, but got only one of the big prizes. It was very predictable.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

21 out of 24. This equals my best score of 2004. Cool

All mistakes in the documentary and short categories. First time ever I got EVERY category outside of those four correct. Oscars: predictability at its best. Innocent

Those four haunt me each year, though. I don’t think I’ve ever had a 4 out of 4 in best documentary, best short documentary, best animated short and best live action short.
In fact, I’m not sure if I’ve ever had 3 out of 4 correct either.

After the Independant Spirit Awards on Saturday, I contemplated changing my Best Documentary vote to Twenty Feet From Stardom, but I figured “once the ballot is filled out, there should be no more changes”.
And I should’ve gone with my gut feeling for animated short as well…

This also means that I correctly filled in the 9 categories of the Oscar Ballot at the Kinepolis site. Maybe I’ll win another film package this year. Cool

Will have to wait until Wednesday to actually watch the ceremony. I’m not staying up all night before a work day. Did anyone watch it? Did DeGeneres do OK?

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I watched it all last night.  Ellen was fun and a bit over the top at times, but I thought she did a decent job of hosting.  Since the Academy often takes itself a bit too seriously, they need someone like Ellen to lighten things up a bit. 

One thing that struck me was how poorly prepared some of the presenters were.  They were reading off the monitors and still flubbed big time.  I suspect that some of them would have done better wearing their glasses.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The funniest thing I heard about the oscars was Cumberbatch photobombing U2.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Three of my favorite bits were Ellen having pizza delivered,
Hungry
her Glinda costume,
Good Witch
and her selfie which shut down Twitter for a couple of minutes.
Twitter pic

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

News coverage of the Oscars was spectacular in Belgium… Shifty Eyed

Images of Ewan McGregor announcing that La Grande Bellezza wins Best Foreign Language Film, mentioning how our nominee The Broken Circle Breakdown DIDN’T win, then four minutes of interviews with the director and two leads about how disappointed they are (or aren’t), and then a short mention that Gravity was the big winner with 7 Oscars (and images of Cuarón getting up to accept his award - none of the speech), and mentioning 12 Years a Slave as winner of Best Film (with only one sentence of McQueen’s speech retained). That’s it. Hardly a mention of Best Actor and Best Actress.
And then they spent a full minute on that selfie that’s breaking Twitter records.

Six minutes of Oscar coverage, of which less than one minute about who actually won which award (and then really only mentioning 6 categories out of 24).

Top journalism, people. Really. Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 27 February 2014 06:37 AM
UPtimist - 27 February 2014 05:29 AM

Yay, there’s that one Finnish film in the last category Tongue

I wonder, if there’s a usual type of “here are the nominees” moment. I mean if so, I’m fascinated to hear how they pronounce the title.

I’m pretty sure they’ll pronounce “Pitääkö mun kaikki hoitaa?” as “Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?”. Wink

You were wrong! Tongue It was something along the lines of (if I remember correctly) “Pita-eko Mun Kaeki Hoeta” Wink Though, to be honest, it wasn’t nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Also, love that Cumberbatch photobomb Grin He seems like a great guy. And of course one of the best actors around, especially of the somewhat youger actors.

I predict an Oscar for him in the future.

(Edit): I’m kinda sad - though not surprised - that The Grandmaster (though I was happily surprised it was nominated for several awards, I hadn’t noticed before) or The Hobbit haven’t won anything (I’m following this a little late, you see, and am trying to avoid seeing all the awards beforehand, even if I know the best picture, actor and who generally won most, etc.)

Oh, and the one that actually disappointed me - original song, naturally, goes to the cheesiest and most boring song by far. I mean even U2 was clearly better, not to mention the other two. But yeah, not surprising. Ah, at least is wasn’t as shameful as the year stuff like May It Be lost to some utterly insignificant uninspired generic thing. And again, why only four? For example, ” I See Fire” from The Hobbit would easily fit in with those four. And they aure would have room for it,.

Anyway, watched it through - nothing much interesting this time. Never did like Mcgon…however it’s written, but at least he’s gotten better over the years, and now there are the Bradley Coopers and whatnot to take the throne of most awful, uncharismatic and overrated actor Tongue I’d say someone like Ryan Reynolds as even less charismatic and even worse actor, but no one takes him seriously anyways, right?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 04 March 2014 04:32 PM

Oh, and the one that actually disappointed me - original song, naturally, goes to the cheesiest and most boring song by far. I mean even U2 was clearly better, not to mention the other two. But yeah, not surprising. Ah, at least is wasn’t as shameful as the year stuff like May It Be lost to some utterly insignificant uninspired generic thing. And again, why only four? For example, ” I See Fire” from The Hobbit would easily fit in with those four. And they aure would have room for it,.

I answered that earlier:

As for Original Song, there were originally 5 nominations this year, but the titular song “Alone Yet Not Alone” was disqualified after its writer Bruce Broughton (a member of the executive committee of the musical branch of the Academy) had contacted several of the Academy’s voters for support.

Once a nomination gets disqualified, nothing else takes its place. Meh

Finally watched the entire show. Nothing special this year, and few risks taken by DeGeneres.

Funniest moments were:
- DeGeneres calling Brad Pitt a “photo hog” after he appeared not only on the Twitter-breaking photo, but also on the one she took with Chiwetel Ejiofor immediately afterward
- Jamie Foxx’s oddball “best score” announcement (and Jessica Biel being unable to contain her laughter)
- DeGeneres going around with Pharrell Williams’ hat to collect money for the pizza guy (starting with Harvey Weinstein) Grin

Few remarkable moments compared to other years, imo. The feud between Steve McQueen and writer John Ridley was obvious, and rather sad really.

And in other news: Lupita Nyong’o looked gorgeous, and Jared Leto really needs a haircut. Tongue

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 08 March 2014 08:41 AM

I answered that earlier:

Once a nomination gets disqualified, nothing else takes its place. Meh

Ah! Excuse my apparent laziness-of-the-reading-kind. Let’s call it a lazy eye Tongue Also: too bad!

Also too bad they don’t do those funny movie montage things anymore (or, well, I don’t know if they did them usually but I always remember the 2006 Westerns clip regarding Brokeback Mountain which was just hilarious (too bad there’s only that bad quality version left on Youtube, apparently)). If it has never been a usual thing, it should be! They should do something like that instead of playing trailers for the Best Movie nominees.

Also, I’m amused by how bad reviews I’ve seen for American Hustle here (not that I can recall more than one (though from a respectable source) - so maybe I’m just imagining that one review is consensus Tongue).

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Prediction time? Is Boyhood still the favorite?

My favorite was Whiplash but I doubt it will take anthing besides best supporting actor

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

wilco - 17 February 2015 05:48 AM

Prediction time?

Every year me and two of my friends are competing on who will get the most predictions right, so far I`m the undisputed champion winning 3 years in a row… so here are mine:

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Birdman

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Eddie Redmayne

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Julianne Moore

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
J.K. Simmons

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette

Best Achievement in Directing
Richard Linklater

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Whiplash

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
How to Train Your Dragon 2

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Ida

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Birdman

Best Achievement in Editing
Boyhood

Best Achievement in Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
The Theory of Everything

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Selma

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
American Sniper

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
American Sniper

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Interstellar

Best Documentary, Feature
Citizenfour

Best Documentary, Short Subject
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1

Best Short Film, Animated
Feast

Best Short Film, Live Action
The Phone Call

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

My (random) guesses are not very different:

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Boyhood

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Eddie Redmayne

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Julianne Moore

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
J.K. Simmons

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette

Best Achievement in Directing
Richard Linklater

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Whiplash

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Ida

Best Achievement in Cinematography
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Editing
Boyhood

Best Achievement in Production Design
Into the Woods

Best Achievement in Costume Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
The Theory of Everything

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Selma

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Whiplash

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
Guardians of the Galaxy

Best Documentary, Feature
The Salt of the Earth

Best Documentary, Short Subject
Joanna

Best Short Film, Animated
A Single Life

Best Short Film, Live Action
The Phone Call

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!