• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Need some quick opinions on the next adventure to try.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-05-08

PM

Hey friends, I’m really excited to get back into adventures after my recent King’s Quest fun. Just need help deciding what to play next if I don’t just decide to do Longest Journey again.

Broken Sword: Serpent’s Curse - Is this any good compared to the first? I’m a little wary of it being episodes since that usually means small locations, simple puzzles, etc.

The Last Express - Is this really hard? It seems like it’d be hard.

Resonance - Looks good, is it?

Blackwell Trilogy - Good?

GK3: Blood of some stuff - Is this anything like the original or is it just a hot mess?

Cognition: The Adventures of Erica Reed - Again, does the episodic nature make this lame?

Ok just let me know what is my best bet from these in your opinion. If there’s any really big standout of the past few years, recommend that as well. I prefer third person inventory-centered classics like Monkey Island and KQ6, but I’m open to new experiences. Thank you so much for your consideration!

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

People tell me I should give Last Express a good try. I played a bit of it once, and its a good game, but it unnerved me to know that I could be missing conversations and such.

I liked the Blackwell games, though a bit depressive.

I haven’t played the others yet. I have Resonance but haven’t tried it.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

My opinions:

The Last Express - No, not too hard.  It’s fun and very unique.

Resonance - Very very good.  One of the best straight up adventure games I’ve played in so long.  This guy needs to make more games, because he has a real talent for it.

Blackwell Trilogy - Yeah they’re good, but I’d say it was a step down from most of these other games.  But still worth playing.

GK3: Blood of some stuff - Personally GK1 and 2 are my two favorite adventure games ever, so I don’t think it quite lives up to them.  But it’s still a great game.

Cognition: The Adventures of Erica Reed - Worth playing.

youfightlikeadairyfarmer - 26 February 2014 09:32 PM

Ok just let me know what is my best bet from these in your opinion. If there’s any really big standout of the past few years, recommend that as well. I prefer third person inventory-centered classics like Monkey Island and KQ6, but I’m open to new experiences. Thank you so much for your consideration!

From what you say here I’d go with Resonance.  It’s really a blast from the past, in a really good way.

Also, since it sounds like you haven’t played any adventure games in years, if you are open to an adventure game that’s very light on puzzles but has a great story and great characters, try The Walking Dead series.  It’s been the genre’s most successful game in years, with lots of mainstream attention and many game of the year awards.  Though be warned that it’s hated on by many die hard adventure game fans for being too easy and too linear.  But its storytelling is nearly unmatched.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Of the games and criteria you’ve mentioned, I believe Resonance is the one you’re gonna like the most. The Serpent’s Curse is (though only half the game’s released so far) the best Broken Sword since the second installment, but you’re right, it’s easier and more linear than the first (atleast the first half is, but considering the critisism the game’s allready received because of it, I can only assume the second half will adress these issues).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Last Express - Is this really hard? It seems like it’d be hard.

It’s not “hard” in the traditional sense - you just need to be focused on what’s going on and acknowledge people’s motives, and be ready to try it again, and again…

If there’s any really big standout of the past few years, recommend that as well. I prefer third person inventory-centered classics like Monkey Island and KQ6

The Whispered World/The Book of Unwritten Tales

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned is your best bet.

Perhaps you’d prefer something else, but I don’t know you & your taste(s) so there you are.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I haven’t played The Last Express yet, so I can’t comment on that.

But both Resonance, the Blackwell games, GK3 and Cognition are all excellent games well worth playing. I would wait with BS5 until the whole game is released.

It also sound like you would enjoy pretty much everything Daedalic Entertainment has made in the recent years, especially The Whispered World, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and The Dark Eye: Memoria.

Since you mentioned The Longest Journey, if you haven’t already played it (but you probably have) then you should also give Dreamfall the sequel to TLJ, a chance.

Book of Unwritten Tales and the Black Mirror trilogy might also be something you would enjoy.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Broken Sword: Serpent’s Curse - Is this any good compared to the first? I’m a little wary of it being episodes since that usually means small locations, simple puzzles, etc.

It’s not exactly in “episodes”. They just split the final game in two halves so they could release the first half sooner (and get feedback and more money to complete the second half). So instead of an episode, you got the first half of a full game. Reviews so far have been mixed-to-good.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Of the set, which are all very good games, The Last Express is the best overall imo(though I think it’s the best adventure game of all-time so I’m a bit biased).  It is not, however, a third person inventory-based game, so if you prefer that style then I’d say go with Resonance out of your list.  Outside of your list, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and it’s sequel Memoria would probably be good calls for you.  Both are incredibly beautiful third-person inventory-based games with engrossing stories in a fantasy setting.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Gabriel Knight 3 is excellent and very true to its roots, nothing about it is hot mess. Personally I prefer it over GK2 and all other games listed.
The Last Express is a very unique experience and is worth trying even if you’re not into 1st person adventure games.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Choose form LastExpress and GK3, its like you have to play them else you ain’t
Adventure gamer IMO, they are like educational material for AG degree.

But old mechanics can turn you off.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Out of those, GK3 without a doubt.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

If there’s any really big standout of the past few years, recommend that as well.

for me that’s Resonance. I can easily put it among the golden era AGs.

So far, I haven’t tried The Last Express but I’ve been dying to play it (top of my “what to play next” list) so all I can offer here are my extremely high expectations Wink

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-05-08

PM

People tell me I should give Last Express a good try. I played a bit of it once, and its a good game, but it unnerved me to know that I could be missing conversations and such.

Me too! That feeling of missing something important just scares me so bad.

From what you say here I’d go with Resonance.  It’s really a blast from the past, in a really good way.

Also, since it sounds like you haven’t played any adventure games in years, if you are open to an adventure game that’s very light on puzzles but has a great story and great characters, try The Walking Dead series.  It’s been the genre’s most successful game in years, with lots of mainstream attention and many game of the year awards.  Though be warned that it’s hated on by many die hard adventure game fans for being too easy and too linear.  But its storytelling is nearly unmatched

Resonance is definitely going to be my next buy. Great call on TWD, I just finished season one on my PSVita and I loved it (and I’m extremely critical of the show). Thank you.

Of the games and criteria you’ve mentioned, I believe Resonance is the one you’re gonna like the most. The Serpent’s Curse is (though only half the game’s released so far) the best Broken Sword since the second installment, but you’re right, it’s easier and more linear than the first (atleast the first half is, but considering the critisism the game’s allready received because of it, I can only assume the second half will adress these issues).

I’m getting on that Resonance. I’ll probably get BS5 on full release. Thanks!

The Whispered World/The Book of Unwritten Tales

I meant to ask about BUT, I’ll definitely give it a go. I had TWW from a long ago sale (my PC died so I lost it), and I definitely need to play it again, it is the most beautiful game ever. I actually had a really weird dream about it after getting manic-cited about adventure games yesterday (before I read your post, cool huh? I know it’s not cool). Thank you!

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned is your best bet.

Perhaps you’d prefer something else, but I don’t know you & your taste(s) so there you are.

Yeah I didn’t give much to go on, I’ll definitely try GK3, I want to see what the cat mustache is all about. Thanks!

I haven’t played The Last Express yet, so I can’t comment on that.

But both Resonance, the Blackwell games, GK3 and Cognition are all excellent games well worth playing. I would wait with BS5 until the whole game is released.

It also sound like you would enjoy pretty much everything Daedalic Entertainment has made in the recent years, especially The Whispered World, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and The Dark Eye: Memoria.

Since you mentioned The Longest Journey, if you haven’t already played it (but you probably have) then you should also give Dreamfall the sequel to TLJ, a chance.

Book of Unwritten Tales and the Black Mirror trilogy might also be something you would enjoy.

Thanks for the leads, Daedalic seems right up my alley. I also enjoyed Dreamfall, I’d give so much money to a kickstarter for a new TLJ game. Or… like $20.

It’s not exactly in “episodes”. They just split the final game in two halves so they could release the first half sooner (and get feedback and more money to complete the second half). So instead of an episode, you got the first half of a full game. Reviews so far have been mixed-to-good.

That sounds better. No offense to TellTale, but episodes just aren’t the same level of “adventure” as fuller games.

Of the set, which are all very good games, The Last Express is the best overall imo(though I think it’s the best adventure game of all-time so I’m a bit biased).  It is not, however, a third person inventory-based game, so if you prefer that style then I’d say go with Resonance out of your list.  Outside of your list, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and it’s sequel Memoria would probably be good calls for you.  Both are incredibly beautiful third-person inventory-based games with engrossing stories in a fantasy setting.

Hey, I need to try new things and this seems like a winner. Murder on the Orient Express is one of my favorite mysteries. I’ll definitely check out Dark Eye, thank you!

Gabriel Knight 3 is excellent and very true to its roots, nothing about it is hot mess. Personally I prefer it over GK2 and all other games listed.
The Last Express is a very unique experience and is worth trying even if you’re not into 1st person adventure games.

Definitely going to try both. I don’t think I could handle GK2 anyway, something about FMV has always just made me cringe.

Choose form LastExpress and GK3, its like you have to play them else you ain’t
Adventure gamer IMO, they are like educational material for AG degree.

But old mechanics can turn you off.

I definitely want to make sure I’ve played all the classics, thanks!

Out of those, GK3 without a doubt.

Awesome, I like your confidence. Thanks!

for me that’s Resonance. I can easily put it among the golden era AGs.

So far, I haven’t tried The Last Express but I’ve been dying to play it (top of my “what to play next” list) so all I can offer here are my extremely high expectations

Well these are probably my next two so when I’m done with Resonance I’ll be in the same boat as you. Thanks!

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

To assuage your fears somewhat about The Last Express, you are very unlikely to miss a critically important conversation in the game.  On the flip side, there’s almost no way to catch every conversation to get all the side stories in one playthrough.  I’ve played the game five or six times through and still found details I didn’t get in previous playthroughs.  The Last Express encourages replay with this and a large multitude of endings(though only one true one).

I second that GK3 is not a hot mess, it is a very good game in its way.  The central problem it has is that compared to the rest of the series it’s the game that doesn’t hold up to the test of time as well.  It has some goofy puzzles in spots, the voice acting isn’t quite on the level of the previous games, and unfortunately as one of the early fully 3D adventure games, the graphics don’t stand up well.  GK1’s classic 2D style and the FMV style of GK2 are timeless, but GK3’s graphics aren’t so lucky.  Despite this though, it still has a pretty good, highly detailed story and moments of brillance within the game, keeping it of very good quality, just not the classics the previous two games were.

On GK2, FMV has a certain stigma that is well deserved, but GK2 avoids that and is arguably the pinnacle of the FMV genre.  You should definitely check it out at some point.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Not playing GK2 because “it’s FMV” is like not listening to late Beatles songs because the band members grew beards and moustaches. Tongue

youfightlikeadairyfarmer - 27 February 2014 06:41 PM

I meant to ask about BUT, I’ll definitely give it a go.

It’s as close to a “fantasy Sierra” and LucasArts blend as you can get.

youfightlikeadairyfarmer - 27 February 2014 06:41 PM

I had TWW from a long ago sale (my PC died so I lost it), and I definitely need to play it again, it is the most beautiful game ever. I actually had a really weird dream about it after getting manic-cited about adventure games yesterday (before I read your post, cool huh? I know it’s not cool).

Ain’t it convenient that throughout TWW you’re being terrorized in your dreams by a mysterious cloud with big lips? Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top