• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

My Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 22 February 2014

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Beyond the Threshold (2006) is an overtly Lovecraftian freeware game made for an escape the room competition with the Wintermute engine. You play as Friedrich Wilhelm von Junzt, the author of the infamous Unaussprechlichen Kulten (Unspeakable Cults). In your researches into the Cthulhu cult you have drawn unwanted attention to yourself and find yourself trapped in your home with some being of unimaginable evil outside your door.

It’s a rather short first person game in a tiny environment that I’d recommend only for Lovecraft completionists. I don’t think it’s a substantial enough game for someone who isn’t into that.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

There doesn’t seem to be a dedicated website for this (anymore?), and my google-fu was failing for a bit, so in case anybody else has trouble finding a download link, it’s kinda hidden in the opening post of the now abandoned dev blog.

The author(s) have migrated to orderofdagon.com, working on a full-fledged game in the same Lovecraftian vein, called Dagon. A Kickstarter campaign seems to be in the works.

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

MoP - 22 February 2014 02:29 PM

The author(s) have migrated to orderofdagon.com, working on a full-fledged game in the same Lovecraftian vein, called Dagon. A Kickstarter campaign seems to be in the works.

The new game looks pretty interesting. Thanks for bringing that up.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

Wow, that’s a blast from the past!

I’m the developer of both Beyond the Threshold and H.P. Lovecraft’s Dagon.

Beyond the Threshold was the result of a “One week, one Room” competition we had back then in the Wintermute Engine forum, meaning you had one week to create a game that plays in one room.

Please keep that in mind in case you want to play it, and don’t expect too much :-)

H.P. Lovecraft’s Dagon will be a full fledged game however, and I’ve been working on it for a lot more than a week :-)

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

ThomasDagon - 23 February 2014 04:45 PM

H.P. Lovecraft’s Dagon will be a full fledged game however, and I’ve been working on it for a lot more than a week :-)

Be sure to keep us up to date on the progress of your game. I, for one, am certainly interested in it. The screenshots on your site look nice so far.

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

Thanks!

I’ll post all updates on both Facebook and Twitter, so it’s easiest to follow on of these accounts, otherwise I’ll also inform AG about major news.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Will be keeping an eye on Dagon as well, good luck with the development (between this and the engine behind Asylum, the Dagon name is getting some traction lately).

Random sidenote, just noticed in the Readme for Beyond The Threshold that Jan Kavan (of JULIA and Ghost in the Sheet fame) composed the music for the game. I’ve been trying out the Carol Reed demos lately, in a few of which he’s also credited for technical assistance. I seem to have gotten into the weird habit of bumping into games Jan Kavan’s been somehow involved in.

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

Well, I hope you won’t freak out then when I tell you that Jan is doing the music for Dagon as well :-)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top