• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Freeware Game Recommendations

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-08-19

PM

Well, first of all, gotta apologize for the fact that I haven’t posted here for a long while.
Thing is, gonna go for a long trip in a shortwhile and my credits are stored for it, so I haven’t been able to get me some good adventure games Smile But I can’t leave them to be honest!
So far I got the recent Heroine’s Quest: Herald of Ragnarok, and I’m having a BLAST: great game! Fantastic art style and a lovely blend of medieval fantasy, adventure, rpg and light comedy elements. Gotta recommend this to everyone really! It’s just quality!

This game left me wanting more Tongue But like I said, the games have to be free, so does anybody got some great suggestions? I don’t really care for the themes to be honest: can be classics that turned free over the years, can be medieval adventures, recent themed, mystery solving, whatever!

Might as well add three more things:
-If you haven’t, try Heroine’s Quest!
-Could be a nice idea for the future to add to the game recommendations sticky thread.
-Have a lovely week! Smile

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Hey there,

I haven’t played any free games in a while but, here are some good older ones

Murder in a Wheel
A murder mystery

Knightsquire
I really enjoyed this one

Stargate Adventure
Based on the tv show

Arden’s Vale
A short Sierra like game

The Journey Down: Over the Edge
Pretty much the same as the for sale one

Once Upon A Crime
I haven’t played it but it sounds good

Maybe that’ll get you started

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

SpeedBo’s recommendation of “Murder in a Wheel” is good. I also liked:
Adventure Island
Breakage
Barely Floating
Mental Repairs,Inc which is by the developer of Murder in a Wheel.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Personally I really really really liked the The White Chamber. It is the best freeware AG I have ever played, but then I also don’t play that many freeware games, so I’m not an expert on the subject.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

badlemon - 09 February 2014 07:00 PM

freeware section in the game recommendations thread is not a bad idea

Superb suggestion!

Shameless plug. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Don’t forget about Yahtzee’s Days series!

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

Iznogood - 10 February 2014 01:56 PM

Personally I really really really liked the The White Chamber. It is the best freeware AG I have ever played, but then I also don’t play that many freeware games, so I’m not an expert on the subject.

Apsolutely, The White Chamber is one of the best free games I have ever played,also Kings Quest 1, 2 and 3 remakes are well made games and Ben Jordan series are interesting too.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Can’t say I agree with all the recommendations here. That being said, you may want to check out Donna: Avenger of Blood. If you can stomach the gratuitous nudity and the black and white graphics, it’s a cute little game.

Nelly Cootalots (Spoonbeaks ahoy) comes with no such caveats. It’s a great little game.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Best and funniest freeware game out there:

Jessica Plunkenstein and the Dusseldorf Conspiracy

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Antrax - 13 February 2014 10:53 PM

Nelly Cootalots (Spoonbeaks ahoy) comes with no such caveats. It’s a great little game.

I’ll add a second Thumbs Up to that. Great little game which is why I backed the Nelly Cootalots: The Fowl Fleet Kickstarter.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Mental Repairs
5 Days a stranger
Beneath a Steel Sky (by Revolution - used to be a commercial game)
Dirty Split

And maybe Soviet-Unterzögersdorf. Though I personally think it would have been funnier if it was made by Russians - yes to self deprecating irony with a hint of sarcasm in games like SU.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jannik - 14 February 2014 07:51 AM

Beneath a Steel Sky (by Revolution - used to be a commercial game)

There’s a couple more like that - former commercial games that have been released for free:

- Flight of the Amazon Queen
- Lure of the Temptress
- Dragonsphere
- Teen Agent

BaSS and FotAQ especially are top notch.

To recommend a real freeware game, there’s Robert Redford Saves the Day, a really crappy-looking AGS game that’s so insanely funny that I still quote it regularly. Especially if Robert Redford or Harrison Ford are involved. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Teen Agent is awful though. I gave it a second play-through not too long ago and the puzzles are unbelievably idiotic.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

My recommendations:
- Prodigal (a moody, somewhat gory horror adventure game with an intriguing story)
- Apprentice 1 & 2 (cute and amusing fantasy games about a wizard’s apprentice)
- Grr! Bearly Sane (about a guy in a bear costume at a carnival; it’s veeeeery short, like a tasty snack. It has been a while since I last played it, so I don’t know if it still holds up)
- Snakes of Avalon (about a drunk guy in a bar. It’s both funny and a great character piece, but although short, since it’s basically a one room game)

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I second Snakes Of Avalon.
Technobabylon was also good. But I’ve only played the first part.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top