• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 14 February 2014

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Happy Valentine’s Day! A bloody Valentine that is, from Stephen King’s The Dark Half (1992). Dare I mention that the best possible outcome of a successful relationship is that you’ll grow old together and one of you will get to watch the other die? Yes, I’m a Bastich. Bonus points to anyone who knows what comedian I’m loosely paraphrasing there.

Anyway, I can’t remember much from this game other than the story. It’s simply been too long since I’ve played it. It’s dark and twisted, just the way I like it though.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Bastich - 13 February 2014 10:27 PM

Dare I mention that the best possible outcome of a successful relationship is that you’ll grow old together and one of you will get to watch the other die?

Good Lord. I realize people will hate me for saying this, but I’ve had enough of these supposedly funny but actually depressing comments to often morbid or unpleasant screenshots. Not to mention all the negativity! Is there actually a game you like or would recommend? Is this what the Adventure Game Scene of the Day is for, a long row of obscure games nobody has ever heard of that you hated playing?

Isn’t it time to pass the baton? I’d really, really like something positive for a change.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m pretty sure you can set up your own thread or series of threads while avoiding clicking on these. Glad to have helped.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Antrax - 13 February 2014 11:01 PM

I’m pretty sure you can set up your own thread or series of threads while avoiding clicking on these. Glad to have helped.

Passive-aggressive. Like I said, I realize people will hate me for saying this. I still think it’s time Bastich passed the baton. One year, 365 days in a row, it is too long.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yes, I get that you’re trolling for attention but you’ll need to do a better job. You’re unhappy with what Bastich is doing, great, but why should he stop instead of you stopping to follow him? You need at least some hook to get people angry, or nobody will take the bait.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Dare I mention that the best possible outcome of a successful relationship is that you’ll grow old together and one of you will get to watch the other die? Yes, I’m a Bastich. Bonus points to anyone who knows what comedian I’m loosely paraphrasing there.

Hmmm… I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Sam Kinison.

Karlok - 13 February 2014 10:46 PM

Good Lord. I realize people will hate me for saying this, but I’ve had enough of these supposedly funny but actually depressing comments to often morbid or unpleasant screenshots. Not to mention all the negativity! Is there actually a game you like or would recommend? Is this what the Adventure Game Scene of the Day is for, a long row of obscure games nobody has ever heard of that you hated playing?

I don’t hate you, but I must respectfully disagree.

I think Bastich has been doing an outstanding job with the Adventure Game Scene of the Day threads since he has taken responsibility for them.  He has, to the best of my knowledge, not reposted any of the games from previous AGSotD threads, and let’s face it, there are only so many adventure games in the world and all the really fun/good/famous ones were covered in the first year’s worth of threads.  The ones that are left are either really old, really obscure, or really bad, or any combination of the aforementioned three qualities.  That Bastich is able to consistently find a screenshot from these often long-forgotten and occasionally unnoticed-even-when-they-were-new games is something I find nothing short of astonishing, and I appreciate his effort in doing so.

Furthermore, Bastich quite rightfully isn’t trying to make these games sound better than they actually were, he’s merely noting that they did exist and occasionally pointing out obvious flaws that many later games managed to avoid, and once in a while he’ll also give credit where credit is due to older games that were ahead of their time in gameplay, interface, or storyline.

As for the negativity, well, a lot of these games were crap when they were new and are now outdated crap.  Why try to pretend otherwise?  I’d much rather read an honest assessment than rose-tinted nostalgia any day.

Isn’t it time to pass the baton? I’d really, really like something positive for a change.

Does this mean you’re offering to take over responsibility for future AGSotD threads?  Remember, that’s one every day, preferably with no repeats of previously posted games.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Sage - 14 February 2014 12:33 AM

I think Bastich has been doing an outstanding job with the Adventure Game Scene of the Day threads since he has taken responsibility for them.  He has, to the best of my knowledge, not reposted any of the games from previous AGSotD threads, and let’s face it, there are only so many adventure games in the world and all the really fun/good/famous ones were covered in the first year’s worth of threads.  The ones that are left are either really old, really obscure, or really bad, or any combination of the aforementioned three qualities.  That Bastich is able to consistently find a screenshot from these often long-forgotten and occasionally unnoticed-even-when-they-were-new games is something I find nothing short of astonishing, and I appreciate his effort in doing so.

Furthermore, Bastich quite rightfully isn’t trying to make these games sound better than they actually were, he’s merely noting that they did exist and occasionally pointing out obvious flaws that many later games managed to avoid, and once in a while he’ll also give credit where credit is due to older games that were ahead of their time in gameplay, interface, or storyline.

I think that what Sage said resumes all: perfect. I totally agree.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-02-03

PM

Yeah that is probably enough for giving me some goosebumps.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Antrax - 14 February 2014 12:11 AM

Yes, I get that you’re trolling for attention but you’ll need to do a better job. You’re unhappy with what Bastich is doing, great, but why should he stop instead of you stopping to follow him? You need at least some hook to get people angry, or nobody will take the bait.

Don’t worry, there’s not a chance in the world Bastich will stop because of my post. I would like to add though that he himself said “Yes, I’m a Bastich.” He knows what he’s doing, so he shouldn’t be surprised when someone else criticizes him.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

^ This. So very very much!

I don’t always get the links to the new AGSotD in the overview thread on the correct day, and that’s just editing a post and adding a link. Finding a new game, a new screenshot and finding something to say about it every single day for as long as Bastich has done already (and as long as Kurufinwe did before him, and Wreck who started this years ago in the archives) is nothing but commendable…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Dare I mention that the best possible outcome of a successful relationship is that you’ll grow old together and one of you will get to watch the other die? Yes, I’m a Bastich. Bonus points to anyone who knows what comedian I’m loosely paraphrasing there.

Sounds like George Carlin to me.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I think Bastich has been doing an outstanding job with the Adventure Game Scene of the Day threads since he has taken responsibility for them.

Yes, he has, no doubt about it.

He has, to the best of my knowledge, not reposted any of the games from previous AGSotD threads,

He has reposted some in his Thanksgiving week and his month of Goregasm, but I agree that the point of the AGSotD is that all adventures, good or bad, should be or will be covered.

and let’s face it, there are only so many adventure games in the world and all the really fun/good/famous ones were covered in the first year’s worth of threads.

I don’t agree that all the really fun/good/famous ones have already been covered. I keep track of the AGSotDs and I actually think Bastich is doing a fine job of balancing the obscure and the better knowns adventures.

I still have a long list of 300+ adventures (I’m sure Bastich’s own list is much longer) waiting for their turn and certainly not all of them are crap. There are lots of positive things to say about games like Touche, Starship Titanic, Golden Gate, Rhiannon, Harvey’s New Eyes, The Cautious Condor, Temujin, Dark Side of the Moon, Blue Heat, Comer, Congo: Descent into Zinj, Dust, Rent-A-Hero, Noir, Ripper, Pilgrim, Outcry, Gilbert Goodmate, Robot City, The Byzantine Betrayal, KGB, The Quivering, In the 1st Degree, Gadget, L-Zone, Big Red Adventure*, and many more.

The ones that are left are either really old, really obscure, or really bad, or any combination of the aforementioned three qualities.  That Bastich is able to consistently find a screenshot from these often long-forgotten and occasionally unnoticed-even-when-they-were-new games is something I find nothing short of astonishing, and I appreciate his effort in doing so.

Agreed. I appreciate his effort too. He’s played them all, he knows everything there is to know about them. But sometimes I wonder why he played those crappy games.

Does this mean you’re offering to take over responsibility for future AGSotD threads?  Remember, that’s one every day, preferably with no repeats of previously posted games.

The very thought of having to post a screenshot every single day makes me shudder. I think that’s partly why we admire the Guardians of the AGSotD so much: We’d hate to do this chore ourselves. It’s also the reason both Guardians rub some people the wrong way with their very distinctive style, day in day out. IMO, it’s much better to have three or four people (including Bastich) take care of the daily screenshots. I would be willing to post a pic twice a week, so everybody would have the opportunigy to criticize my comments and rose-tinted nostalgia. Smile

Here’s what Bastich himself had to say about it before he started his guardianship:
I certainly understand not wanting to endure such a commitment. I certainly couldn’t handle doing it every day. I could probably handle once a week though. In fact, maybe I’ll do a “Rarity of the Week” or some similarly titled thing since I play all those obscure and bizarre games that others haven’t heard of, or only know of because they appear on adventure-archiv.com and such. Of course, games that hardly anyone has played are highly unlikely to create any sort of discussion, so maybe I would be wasting my time. I’ll think about it.

*Well, maybe not Big Red Adventure. That one is total crap.  Sick

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Is there actually a game you like or would recommend?

Well…

It’s dark and twisted, just the way I like it though.

Have to say, even though I don’t participate much, I’d loved AGSotD from Kurun to here, and Bastich’s “rarity of the day” kind especially, since it just shows how many of these rarities there are. It’s quite fascinating what’s hidden out there; even if adventures literally die, I’ve got this seemingly never-ending list of games, crappy of brilliant, from my favourite genre to look forward to.
And discovering them with his commentary has been certainly more entertaining than going through adventure-archiv, so the series has been sending a pretty positive message, at least in my book Tongue

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Kinison and Carlin are good guesses, but the bit I paraphrased is actually from the Emmy award winning comedy TV show Louie starring Louis C.K., who also writes and directs it as well.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Ah yes, I knew it was from something I’d watched recently. Louis CK is one of the funniest stand up comedians these days imo Smile I’m pretty sure that joke was used in one of his stand up routines before he used it in the tv series. I liked the show Louie, but I prefer him when he’s on stage.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top