• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dark and gritty games?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Hey folks, recently found this site and loving it Smile

I was wondering if you guys could recommend some relatively recent AGs that are more on the dark side, like Gemini Rue or Resonance. I’ve played some of the classics like Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle, TLJ etc, and while I love those kinds of light-hearted games, I’ve lately been craving more of the gritty or ‘realistic’ stuff. Not necessarily horror like Amnesia though, that’s a little too intense!

I’ve tried playing Gabriel Knight, but I found the GOG version pretty buggy, not to mention the game itself looks like it would be somewhat tedious with those controls. I’m playing Chains of Satinav at the moment, but I’m probably going to put it aside for a while until some of the performance issues are ironed out.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Do try to make it through the Gabriel Knight games. You won’t be disappointed.

Some other recommendations:

Sanitarium (more dark and creepy than gritty)
Blackstone Chronicles (some people find the content a bit unsettling, be forewarned)
Blade Runner
Discworld Noir
Still Life
Black Dahlia
Black Mirror trilogy
Heavy Rain
Scratches

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-12-28

PM

I finished Sanitarium at this very moment. Amazing game!

Controls are weird, puzzles are rather easy.
The main thing that kept me going was the story. It is quite creepy, weird and I have asked the question “What the hell is wrong with this game!” more than once during my playthrough.
Actually the story is fairly simplistic but is presented in a perception bending way which makes it stand out!
It might not be new but it is certainly creepy, dark and gritty. The realistic part of the game will be left for your pleasure to discern. Finding out what is real (or isn’t) is truly the high point of the game. This game isn’t for people who skim over the many details found in games like these.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It’s quite old but The Dark Eye is very creepy.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Still Life is probably the grittiest adventure I’ve played that I can think of right now. The Black Mirror series is also pretty dark and while both of these aren’t my favorite adventures, I still liked them for their dark atmosphere.

As already mentioned, you should definitely try to get the Gabriel Knight series working though. I own them on GoG as well and they work fine for me. Maybe check the forums for solutions to any problems you might be having. Definitely worth it.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

I too think Still Life is a good example of what you’re looking for. The Dark Fall series(D.F the Journal, D.F Lights out and D.F Lost Souls) is also dark and gritty but not very realistic since they are ghost stories.
Darkness Within might be something to check out as well.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

You could also try Overclocked: A history of Violence
It is certanly a dark adventure.

Personally i wouldn’t call Discworld Noir or Still Life “dark and gritty”, but especially Diskworld Noir might still be worth a try.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The Path is dark and gritty in the true sense, and it’s not horror. Whether it’s a good game is another matter many will disagree on. But it’s what you asked for anyway.

There’s also Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy which is more along the realist style that you’re looking for.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper has this dark, gritty atmosphere of 19th century London.
Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon is more on the Gothic side, also very atmospheric.
Last Half of Darkness series - cute campy horror. I think the last game was released just recently.
Runaway: Twist of Fate is pretty gritty, taking place in asylum and such.
And Dreamweb is another classic from mid 90’s that takes place in a dirty dystopian world.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar - 06 July 2012 12:40 PM

The Path is dark and gritty in the true sense, and it’s not horror. Whether it’s a good game is another matter many will disagree on. But it’s what you asked for anyway.

I can agree that the Path is dark but not that it is gritty & is not horror. For me it didn’t work too much as a game - more as an interactive experience which was tedious with casual game elements of collecting items presumably designed to break the tedium. Having said that the graphics & the ‘game’ mechanics were wonderful & there is an underlying psychological element to it! I haven’t played Dear Esther but if you want an interactive experience it sounds more interesting judging from the comments I have read on this forum. 

There’s also Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy which is more along the realist style that you’re looking for.

This game is interesting, has a great story but does need good reflexes as it’s control system falls into the realm of action/adventure hybrid. There are a lot of timed elements including ‘simon says’ action + stealth sequences & one scene where you have to use the controls to steady someones breathing to prevent panic which was very challenging! Conversation choices can also change a protagonist’s mood & ‘status’ - reading a few reviews is recommended before buying!

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Want dark, gritty and realistic? Try Police Quest 4: Open Season. The last part of the game in the theater is especially disturbing.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-12-19

PM

dave_minall - 06 July 2012 08:08 AM

I have always wanted to play this game…

But where can I find this to buy? I didn’t see it on ebay unless im not searching correctly and… Will I even be able to get this to run on windows 7??? Don’t really want to waste money on something ill never be able to get to run

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

It has already been mentioned but you really have to try out Overclocked. It’s a very dark modern day psychological thriller that actually manages to be deep and thought provoking. With a very well developed main character.

SH vs Jack the Ripper I have to second as well. It’s very good and very gritty and comes up with a much better identity for the killer than any piece of Jack the Ripper fiction I’ve seen or read.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

gray pierce - 06 July 2012 06:57 PM

It has already been mentioned but you really have to try out Overclocked. It’s a very dark modern day psychological thriller that actually manages to be deep and thought provoking. With a very well developed main character.

SH vs Jack the Ripper I have to second as well. It’s very good and very gritty and comes up with a much better identity for the killer than any piece of Jack the Ripper fiction I’ve seen or read.

I agree! Both great games!

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Squirlygirl - 06 July 2012 06:20 PM
dave_minall - 06 July 2012 08:08 AM

Will I even be able to get this to run on windows 7??? Don’t really want to waste money on something ill never be able to get to run

I have it and I can confirm that it does not run in Win7.
Actually nothing older than a few years runs on Win7. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Wow I wasn’t expecting this kind of response! Thanks guys, it’s going to take me some time to play all of these! Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top