• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day – Wednesday 4 July 2012

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

The third pic in my Wednesday series of adventures I find remarkable in one way or another. Tancrede de Nerac, aka As-Sayf or The Scimitar, riding his horse Phorbas in The Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin and The Secrets of Alamut. One game really, but you cannot play the second part without uninstalling the first one. An evil man in the 13th century, with a past of killing, plundering and more killing.

It’s the theme of atonement and retribution that makes this game remarkable for me.  Gradually As-Sayf comes to repent his cruelty. I quite liked the game, great atmosphere, although it had too many arcade/action bits for my taste. As-Sayf was perfectly voiced by Geoffrey Bateman, the same actor who played Mephisto in Faust: Seven Games of the Soul. I especially liked the parts in the desert and I’d planned to post a pic of As-Sayf carrying a boy on his shoulders through the whirling sands, which I found moving, but I haven’t kept my saves and the second part of the game is not on youtube.

Anyone else like this game?

EDIT: After reading Trunkyo’s post I changed “installing” to “uninstalling”. My mistake.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 04 July 2012 11:10 AM

Trunkyo does.

I loved Bad Mojo and GAG and I’m still waiting for you to give us a picture from one of those.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

I played it looong ago when I borrowed it from the library (those where the days).
Enjoyed it a lot but I don’t remember many specifics. What I didn’t like was how it ended in the middle of the story (I once started a blacklist of games that do that). It took me a long time to track down a copy of Secrets of Alamut.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 04 July 2012 11:16 AM

I loved Bad Mojo and GAG and I’m still waiting for you to give us a picture from one of those.

Hush! hush!

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Seems very intriguing (+I have a thing for Bateman’s voice)... Does anyone know if any of these games is still sold?

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Oh yes. Ebay, gametz.com, Amazon. Cheap too. It doesn’t play on Windows 7 because you need Direct X. If you buy it, make sure you get both parts on 4 CDs. Dreamcatcher sold the two parts together, but also separately.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Never played this one but I hate Paulo Coelho books… Maybe I should stay away from this

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2012-06-30

PM

Sefir - 04 July 2012 11:55 AM

Seems very intriguing (+I have a thing for Bateman’s voice)... Does anyone know if any of these games is still sold?

You can actually download. Let me see if I find a link for ya.

My review site of Diablo 3 fast leveling guides

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

zobraks - 04 July 2012 11:16 AM

Trunkyo does.

Yes, true. I’ve played through both parts of this underrated game several times, and of course the quiz faithful know it provided me with a few pics! Wink I especially loved the music from the game, it ranged from exotic and thrilling to melancholic and emotionally stirring. (A certain revelation at the end of the game made the final scene very satisfying. Mini Smile)
Conveniently, The Secrets of Alamut is still installed on my PC, so I was able to make some screenshots of As-Sayf carrying the little boy:

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Thanks, Trunkyo.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Trunkyo - 04 July 2012 09:00 PM

I’ve played through both parts of this underrated game several times, and of course the quiz faithful know it provided me with a few pics! Wink

And we, quiz faithful, know that’s a euphemism.

Seriously. Trunkyo’s screenshots made me feel like I already played Faust, The Secrets of Alamut, The Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin, Alida, Atlantis 4 and 5, SH: Awakened, SH: Nemesis, 80 Days, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, Myst 5, Uru, Legacy: Dark Shadows, Nikopol and many more adventures.

I bet all of these games are still installed on Trunkyo’s PC too.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I had sort of a short break from playing adventures in the early 00’s, so it’s indeed the “dark ages” for me as majority of these titles I’m yet to play, just like TLotPatA ( Gasp ) and TSoA, along with other games from this developer. 

One game really, you cannot play the second part without installing the first one.

Really? I had no idea. Actually, I never knew they share the same main character.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

diego - 05 July 2012 06:31 AM

Really? I had no idea. Actually, I never knew they share the same main character.

It’s one game hacked into two pieces. The story of the Secrets of Alamut continues where it left off in The Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin. A bit like Syberia 1 and 2.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

The 4-CD version is unusual in that you must first uninstall Part 1 (The Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin) before you can install Part 2 i.e. The Secrets of Alamut (and vice versa, if you want to play Part 1 again). Something about common files in both parts/games that necessitates this, if I remember correctly. I wonder if anyone ever developed a workaround for this?

Legacy: Dark Shadows

Are you trying to make me hurl, zobraks?! Sick I expunged that putrid game from my PC ages ago.

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I recently found a Mac version of Legend of the P & A, but haven’t found Alamut yet.  I have to fire up Classic 9 on my old iMac and give it a try.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The game sounds interesting (or at least Fien makes it sound interesting), and it’s indeed cheap on Amazon. I’m actually tempted to get it, but if it doesn’t work on Win 7 it’s going to be a problem (we really need a DOSBox-equivalent for Windows 95/98 games…).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top