• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 09 January 2014 12:58 PM

You don’t like “Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail”? Gasp

Unfinished.  Cry

Surely, you must be a fan of Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure? Tongue

Unplayed. Gasp

Wait, I know - how about this one? Grin

Hey, that’s my type of game! Short and easy.  Heart

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Well, I can see that my biggest “sins” have already been mentioned (another GK3 hater here). I like Nancy Drew games too from time to time aaand I use walkthroughs too often.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

1. As many others here I too hate GK3 for its graphcs (GF’s were much better. The skeleton models were much more funny and “in the game’s spirit” than a blocked Gabriel) and most of all for the atrocious camera.
2. I also never liked any quest games (tried the Space Quest series for a little bit. It was a torture.)
3. I consider Portal 2 an adventure game!
4. I consider Day of the Tentacle and the Borken Sword series way overrated games (at least in DoTT there were some smart, humorous moments to consider it a good game).
5. I like Uru! I really do! I like the worlds, the whole gameplay, the story. Some riddles were atrocious but no one is perfect…
6. In the Night of the Rabbit, I spent more time playing cards with the other people than playing the game itself.
7. When I am really bored of a game, I often use walkthroughs to proceed the story. Fortunately, I am very picky.
8. Never played Blade Runner. Someone (used to be a friend), revealed some major spoilers when I bought it.
9. Come on!! ToMI was a very good game!!!
10. I tried to replay GK: Sins of the fathers and I stopped in the first 10 miniutes because I found the voice acting really horrible.
11. I still consider 2012 one of the best in AG history.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Sefir - 09 January 2014 02:47 PM

5. I like Uru! I really do! I like the worlds, the whole gameplay, the story.

What’s wrong with liking Uru?
I thought a lot of people liked Uru.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Here’s a good one:

When I was a kid, I used to copy the female sprites from games like Kyrandia 2 and Fate of Atlantis into my painting program, pixel by pixel, and then I’d paint their clothes off.  Good times.

I refuse to believe I am the only one who ever did this.  Hahaha

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

4. I consider Day of the Tentacle and the Borken Sword series way overrated games (at least in DoTT there were some smart, humorous moments to consider it a good game).

YES yES!

6. In the Night of the Rabbit, I spent more time playing cards with the other people than playing the game itself.

should have had some respect to the best game of the year Tongue

8. Never played Blade Runner. Someone (used to be a friend), revealed some major spoilers when I bought it.

Sorry but that is completely nonsense, I don’t know what your friend said to you but the game is different than the movie and has 13 endings upon your actions from the 1st chapter not like most games with different endings.

10. I tried to replay GK: Sins of the fathers and I stopped in the first 10 miniutes because I found the voice acting really horrible.

I tried also to replay it with the voices since I finished way back on my flobby drive and got to grandma’ house and the game was so slow that I gave up and when I decided to move on with it and pushed myself I heard about the remake ,so I am waiting. Grin

11. I still consider 2012 one of the best in AG history.

don’t you think you mean 2011 ...uuh,i take that back i was confused

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lambonius - 09 January 2014 03:37 PM

I refuse to believe I am the only one who ever did this.

You are, but don’t feel bad - there’s worse.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Here’s a good one:

When I was a kid, I used to copy the female sprites from games like Kyrandia 2 and Fate of Atlantis into my painting program, pixel by pixel, and then I’d paint their clothes off.  Good times.

I refuse to believe I am the only one who ever did this.  Hahaha

Rofl! I didn’t do that, but I actually did something similar. On the painting program I used with my amiga 1200, I repainted an image of a girl in a bikini (not from an adventure game, I think it was a preset image in the program) without the bikini. I actually forgot about this until I read you post, lol. The adventures of a young perv Wink

diego - 09 January 2014 03:47 PM

I refuse to believe I am the only one who ever did this.

You are, but don’t feel bad - there’s worse.

Ahaha! Only in Japan…

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

diego - 09 January 2014 09:04 AM

I’ve thought Nico in BS3 looked hotter than Lara Croft.

Nothing wrong with that—so did I:)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

From the archived thread:

TimovieMan - 25 November 2011 08:35 AM
- Never played a Gabriel Knight game
- Never played a Tex Murphy game
- Quit Syberia after two hours, never played Syberia 2
- Until last month I had never even heard of The Last Express
- I seldomly resist the call of the walkthrough when stuck for five minutes
- I don’t think liking Escape from Monkey Island is a sin

Update:

- Still haven’t played GK2 and GK3
- Still haven’t played a Tex Murphy game
But they’re very near the top on my list of games to play (see my signature)

- The Syberia games are approaching the top of my list of games to play. I WILL try again!
- I own The Last Express now and it’s the very next PC AG I’ll play

- I still seldomly resist the call of the walkthrough when stuck for five minutes
But with the time I have to play games these days, that’s not a bad thing…

- I don’t need to “confess” to liking EFMI. Just like I don’t need to “confess” to thinking that Broken Sword 1 and 2 are overrated. I stand by my opinion, damnit!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

While we’re sharing things that in a different thread could stir up flamewars: I’ve never finished a Tex Murphy game. What’s worse is, I’ve bought the entire series from GoG. I tried Overseer for a couple hours recently, and for every minute that passed I got increasingly amazed at how these games are held in such high regard. I was prepared for cheezy acting, but what I got was acting so bad and unconvincing that I struggle to find a comparison (except maybe other FMV games). Even so, playing with the dialogue trees was more fun than the other gameplay. It looks dreadful, I dislike 1st person view in general, the movement controls were awful and I found myself aching to find a character to talk to so I could get something else to look at than that horrible attempt at creating a 3D environment.

I allways thought of playing and finishing the Tex games as somewhat of a duty, considering their classic status, a duty I intended to fulfill when buying the series, but I don’t know anymore. As much as I wanted, I could not find anything to like about Overseer. I may give the 3rd person ones a go in a near future, but the full FMV ones… seems unlikely atm. Why are these games even mentioned in the same breath as the old classics? I don’t get it, the quality of the acting is as bad as it could possibly get.

I realize this post may appear blasphemous to the Tex lovers out there, but please don’t hate me. It’s nothing more than the stupid opinion of an old grump who’s untreatably stuck up in his own preferences. In spite of my passionate distaste for certain game-design experiments/choices, I’m a pretty nice guy, once you get to know me Wink

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Dag, my wife agrees with you regarding the acting. I wanted her to play Overseer, but she saw the quality of acting in the trailer and just couldn’t stop laughing.
Then the trailer for The Tesla Effect came out, and I thought the acting there is pretty good, so I tried showing her that, no success.

That being said, controls in Overseer are standard FPS controls. It’s the other two games that have a really awkward interface.

Diego, you need to replay MI2. That’s not the route one takes between the islands Tongue

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Antrax - 10 January 2014 12:03 AM

Dag, my wife agrees with you regarding the acting. I wanted her to play Overseer, but she saw the quality of acting in the trailer and just couldn’t stop laughing.
Then the trailer for The Tesla Effect came out, and I thought the acting there is pretty good, so I tried showing her that, no success.

Hehe. I’m glad someone agrees with me, even if it’s just someone’s wife Wink I was prepared to be chased away with pitch forks after my previous post Tongue I actually agree with you about the acting in Tesla Effect, from what I’ve seen, looks a lot better (but very cheezy indeed) so I may actually still buy that.

Antrax - 10 January 2014 12:03 AM

That being said, controls in Overseer are standard FPS controls. It’s the other two games that have a really awkward interface.

Heh, I actually only used the mouse, I could use the mousewheel to move forwards and backwards. There was also some arrow icons that could be clicked for movement, but that was beyond terrible, so I didn’t use those. I really don’t like to use a keyboard when playing adventure games. In fps’s it’s a necessity (imo), but when I play adventure games, I want to sit back in the couch and relax. Experience has taught me that playing for hours with a keyboard on your lap will cause terrible shoulder pain due to the awkward postition Wink

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dag - 09 January 2014 08:57 PM

I allways thought of playing and finishing the Tex games as somewhat of a duty, considering their classic status, a duty I intended to fulfill when buying the series, but I don’t know anymore. As much as I wanted, I could not find anything to like about Overseer. I may give the 3rd person ones a go in a near future, but the full FMV ones… seems unlikely atm. Why are these games even mentioned in the same breath as the old classics? I don’t get it, the quality of the acting is as bad as it could possibly get.

I realize this post may appear blasphemous to the Tex lovers out there, but please don’t hate me. It’s nothing more than the stupid opinion of an old grump who’s untreatably stuck up in his own preferences. In spite of my passionate distaste for certain game-design experiments/choices, I’m a pretty nice guy, once you get to know me Wink

I don’t think any Tex fan would be annoyed, you probably just don’t like FMV or First person adventure game. Any FMV with free roaming FPS that you like? Because if there is and you don’t like UAKM or Pandora, that’s weirder… Smile
And the acting isc cheesy but sure is better then a lot of other games and movies.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think Dag’s point is that the game would been acceptable without all the praising involved ,I also had hard times understanding why ,maybe at their time the FMV at PD or UNKM was something very remarkable ,but even though they don’t hold up to Phantasmagoria’s .

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top