• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

rottford - 08 January 2014 09:31 PM

4. I don’t understand why so many people hated the voice acting in “The Black Mirror.”

Yeah, I’ve found it one of the best main protagonist’s voices.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ve never finished GK3 either. I’ve tried, but it turns me off in so many ways. The voice acting and story is good, but experimentation with graphihcs and controls in the late 90’s/early 2000’s usually ended up with unplayable flawness (imo). I have serious issues with Broken Sword 3, Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island and Dreamfall (and many more) for the same reason. All of them potentially fantastic games ruined by “fixing” something that was never broke in the first place. All of them good examples of where adventure games took a horribly wrong turn and caused “the decline”. There, I said it.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I wish GK3 controlled as WELL as Grim Fandango or Escape from Monkey Island.  Smile  Neither of those two games’ controls are great, but they’re lightyears better than GK3’s controls.  It’s the free camera that really ruins it for me (not to mention 3D environments that are way too big and empty for how slowly the character is able to move through them.)  But ugh…that camera.  It’s a game I’ve started several times but just can’t make it through.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Another confession:

I really enjoyed Tales of Monkey Island.  Wink

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Day of the Tentacle aged really bad, cant get into it, hate the game.
Will try it later if i can bear to progress any further, the animations, humor
just too boring. Tims worst game period.

One of My best AG game is from Japan and its Myst/riven killer. Never mentioned its
name nor will unless some good soul will mention it here themselves.  Grin

I loved French feeling in GK3, as well as JJ attempt to mix up all secret cults into
well researched plot. More deeper than BS1 and Danbrown or what authors came up with later in media.
So that makes it Better than GK1 and 2 tropes of Voodoo and Werewolves.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Lambonius - 09 January 2014 11:56 AM

I wish GK3 controlled as WELL as Grim Fandango or Escape from Monkey Island.  Smile  Neither of those two games’ controls are great, but they’re lightyears better than GK3’s controls.  It’s the free camera that really ruins it for me (not to mention 3D environments that are way too big and empty for how slowly the character is able to move through them.)  But ugh…that camera.  It’s a game I’ve started several times but just can’t make it through.

I agree completely, which is why I have finished Grim Fandango and Escape several times, but GK3…ugh. I can’t seem to muster the strength to finish it (but I will some day! (I think ) Smile ).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

diego - 09 January 2014 10:58 AM
rottford - 08 January 2014 09:31 PM

4. I don’t understand why so many people hated the voice acting in “The Black Mirror.”

Same, BM2 and 3 are utter crap and didnt have ounce of BM1 atmosphere and spooky
feeling.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

My confession would be rather boring: I never completed a kings quest game (but not for the like of trying), just never liked them compared to space quest or larry

But some truly shocking stuff in here:

nomadsoul - 09 January 2014 12:04 PM

Day of the Tentacle aged really bad, cant get into it, hate the game.

What?!? Come on! Smile

But this one beats them all:

Lambonius - 09 January 2014 11:57 AM

Another confession:

Tongue

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

diego - 09 January 2014 10:58 AM

Grin I find it hard to believe that any native speaker could possibly find Samuel (voice acting & script - both horribly flawed) any better than dreadful. Only main character I can think of who’s (maybe) worse is the main character from “The Lost Crown”.

Confessions? We quit The Lost Crown less than half the way through. The comment above is one of the main reasons. What else? Well I like a lot of FMV games Wink.

Re GK3, I agree it’s flawed (largely due to the early 3D graphics) but I’m happy to consider it a classic - I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. I can’t agree with Lambonius (nothing new there then Wink ) and Dag re the controls though - Grim Fandango & Escape from Monkey Island were a lot worse for me. Indeed, quit EFMI quite early…but then as the controls & graphics were horrible, and it wasn’t very funny, that’s not much of a confession for me lol.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

My confessions:

1. I really enjoy the Nancy Drew games.

2. I hate The Last Express. I’ve tried to play it 3 or 4 times because it gets so much praise but I can never finish it. It’s just annoying.

3. I hated Tim Curry as Gabe in GK3. So much that it distracted me.

And I agree with rottford that I actually enjoyed the box pushing puzzles in BS3. It’s one of my favorite games.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lambonius - 09 January 2014 11:57 AM

Another confession:

It certainly isn’t a bad game, but to me the deal-breaker was a HUGE linearity - I mean, some of my fav games are extremely linear, but somehow it didn’t bode well with a Monkey Island game. I’ve already tried to explain this on occasions… so, if these are islands in Monkey Island 2:

The “freedom”, and so the big charm of the game comes from the fact that you can travel back and forth between islands at your own leisure, as many times as you want, adding to the “epic” feel one should expect from a piratey game.

Furthermore, in Monkey Island 1-4, once you’re at the island, let’s say Blood Island:

there’re more than 2-3 points like in Tales, which you can again visit as you wish, without being feel like you’re following a “straight line”.

Like I said, I don’t think Tales is a lousy game, as there’re plenty of stuff to like like a solid story, humor, human LeChuck, great facial expressions… but you’re pretty much limited gameplay-wise. I don’t know if that’s because of the episodic nature, but the series follows a straightforward routine of “1 island per episode”, meaning do this here and then progress to the next island. Not only that but you can only enter, for example in the first episode, a few of the houses you see.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I always thought that Marla of Fight Club ,reminded me much of Jane Jensen’ role at Sierra .

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I spend way too much money on adventure games. One of my New Year’s Resolutions was not to buy more than one game a month. It’s the 9th today and I bought my second one this afternoon.
Pan

My list of unplayed and unfinished games is incredibly long. I wonder how that happened.

I use walkthroughs and hints whenever I feel like it.

I love Stupid Invaders.

I hate quest games.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 09 January 2014 12:52 PM

I hate quest games.

You don’t like “Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail”? Gasp Surely, you must be a fan of Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure? Tongue

Wait, I know - how about this one? Grin

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

diego - 09 January 2014 12:45 PM

HUGE linearity ... you’re pretty much limited gameplay-wise.

Well, it IS a Telltale game, after all.  That said, it’s easily their best, in my opinion.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top