• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

This thread is for things you don’t want to admit loving, hating, or doing involving adventure games.  I’ll start.

The Longest Journey was kind of a boring “meh” for me.

Your turn.  Wink

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30137

Those are still my biggest sins. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

1. I thought “Urban Runner” was a rollercoaster ride of a game, and I still enjoy it. I’ve replayed it probably a dozen times. And while I don’t feel the same way now, I once believed the story was so gripping, I considered making a novelization of it. (Turns out I don’t really dig “thriller” literature anymore, nor do I like novelizations.)

2. I liked “Phantasmagoria 2.” Even the easter eggs (possibly the best part!). And it actually didn’t scare me one bit. Which is odd—why would one like a horror game that doesn’t scare him/her?

3. I actually didn’t mind—in fact, I liked a few of—the box-pushing puzzles in “Broken Sword 3.” And although I preferred the 2D graphics of “BS1” and “BS2,” I still count “BS3” and “BS4” as two of the best adventure games of all time. Not as good as the first two, obviously, but still two of the best, in my opinion—possibly even 4 over 3.

4. I don’t understand why so many people hated the voice acting in “The Black Mirror.” I thought it was perfectly fine. Sure, Samuel sounded kind of harsh and strange, but I think he was a jackass anyway. He should’ve died in the mines.

5. I actually enjoyed and completed Capstone’s “Homey the Clown,” the odd action/adventure game starring the character of the same name from the sketch series on “In Living Color.”

6. I would consider doing a live version of “The Archaeologist’s Song” from “Dagger of Amon Ra” in drag at a local bar here in Chicago known for its drag shows.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

rottford - 08 January 2014 09:31 PM

5. I actually enjoyed and completed Capstone’s “Homey the Clown,” the odd action/adventure game starring the character of the same name from the sketch series on “In Living Color.”

I MUST PLAY THIS.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I think many games people here consider “classics” are pretty flawed. Some examples: BS1&2, Dreamfall, Gemini Rue, Myst, Machinarium, Sanitarium, Syberia.
I don’t consider these “sins” or “confessions” though - I’m entitled to my opinion and I feel I can do a pretty good job explaining where I’m coming from.

So, my confession: I’ve never completed GK3. It’s not even the cat mustache thing, it’s just that because it’s a JJ game you can’t resume playing it if some time has passed, and the game is so off-putting that I never managed to sustain my interest to the end.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Antrax - 09 January 2014 12:16 AM

the game is so off-putting that I never managed to sustain my interest to the end.

I agree completely.  I’m baffled that people consider it such a classic.  To me, it feels borderline unplayable due to the terrible interface and camera controls.  The low-poly 3D graphics don’t bother me, but the terrible control is an absolutely constant annoyance.  I’ve seriously considered just watching a Let’s Play and being done with it, but I hate Let’s Plays even more than I hate GK3’s terrible controls, so I’ve never been pushed THAT far over the edge.  YET.  Wink

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Another confession:

I’ve never played Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

I can’t get into The Longest Journey myself actually. Not for lack of trying.

As for my confessions…

I’ve been adventure gaming since 1992 and I’ve never beaten Gabriel Knight or Broken Sword.

I’m working to fix that… But it’s pretty embarrassing.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Lambonius - 09 January 2014 12:20 AM
Antrax - 09 January 2014 12:16 AM

the game is so off-putting that I never managed to sustain my interest to the end.

I agree completely.  I’m baffled that people consider it such a classic.  To me, it feels borderline unplayable due to the terrible interface and camera controls.  The low-poly 3D graphics don’t bother me, but the terrible control is an absolutely constant annoyance.  I’ve seriously considered just watching a Let’s Play and being done with it, but I hate Let’s Plays even more than I hate GK3’s terrible controls, so I’ve never been pushed THAT far over the edge.  YET.  Wink

I don’t think anyone considers GK3 a bonafide classic.
People praise the story (rightfully so, as this predates anything from Dan Brown), but there has been overall criticism on the graphics (early 3D), production (lotsa bugs at the time of release) and the general puzzle design.

However the Serpent’s Rouge puzzle is the highlight of the game and has been universally praised.

In fact, rather a game with some very strong points, but equal amount of weak points.
A good, but flawed game.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

subbi - 09 January 2014 06:48 AM

I certainly do.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Despite I think Phantasmagoria is poorly designed game I really like it solely because of its b acting and b-movie quality.

I don’t like Pendulo games.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Kurufinwe - 09 January 2014 06:56 AM

I certainly do.

Ok, and I like it personally aswel….it’s one of the Sierra games I played the most and have grown to love it over time. (though the graphics tend to become worse with each playthrough ;-))

But from an objective perspective it is too flawed to consider it a “classic”.
Which in my book means it would be near perfect. Maybe the definition of “a classic” is not that strict and that can explain why one considers GK3 a classic and another not.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I certainly do.

Me too - and much better than GK2.

And I also think that has to count as a confession, as I realise that there are many problems with it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve thought Nico in BS3 looked hotter than Lara Croft.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Iznogood - 09 January 2014 09:02 AM

I certainly do.

Me too - and much better than GK2.

Let’s not open that can of worms Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do like GK3 better than GK2, which I consider Jane Jensen weakest game. Script is good, but the execution ruins it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top