• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Catyph

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I am pleased to introduce my new project of the Black Cube series : CATYPH.

It’s a 1st person adventure game to be released in 2015, and similar to my previous game ASA: A Space Adventure (http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23855).
In Catyph, a sci-fi oriented point & click, you start on a moon called Tytaah divided into several regions, where you’ll face challenging puzzles in various environments.

It is not a direct sequel to ASA and doesn’t require to know it already.

Catyph will feature realistic graphics and video transitions, in the continuity of my initial short film ‘Catyph’.

VIDEOS

CGI movie :

Trailer #1 :

Trailer #2 :

Like in ASA, the storyline of the game will be developed for an immersive experience.
You play in 2062 as an astronaut sent by Terra to explore the solar system in search for signs of intelligent life. After going through strange events, you finally land on Tytaah, a moon of planet Catyph. You quickly realise that a mechanism called the Kunci is the reason of your presence here, and a man of unknown identity asks you to make it work for him. You’ll have to explore the moon and other places to gather more informations and understand the situation.

Gameplay:
Catyph has a traditionnal point & click gameplay similar to the Myst series. It is created within the Visionaire Studio engine used by the Daedalic teams (Deponia). With the help of the data you collect, and the support of your AI, you will visit Tytaah and try to access all the regions of this moon. Your main mission : understanding what the Kunci is. All the game relies on exploration and discovery.

Features :
- Discover a new story in the Black Cube series (ASA, The Black Tower)
- Visit new and varied areas with realistic graphics
- Developed with Visionaire Studio (Daedalic), allowing HD graphics and more flexibility
- Different difficulty levels
- And of course, all new puzzles !

Summary :
Release : 2015
Platforms : PC (Mac and Linux if possible)
Categories : Adventure, Point-and-Click, Puzzle, Indie
Genre : Sci-fi
DRM : DRM free
Language : English, French (possibly Italian and Spanish, to be confirmed)

Links :

Screenshots :
Visit the homepage http://www.catyph.fr ! (use the “news” tab for the latest info)

Steam Greenlight :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267433263&result=1

You can also follow Catyph on The icehouse, indie creators collective: http://www.theicehouse.fr

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

This is exciting news! ASA was my favorite game of 2013 and I was hoping for more from you. Will this be an adventure game also?

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Yes !
It should release during summer 2014 Wink

edit: finally, it won’t release during summer… Frown I’m doing my best to release the game by the end of the year.

Pics from the opening film :

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Simon the Sci-Fi Smile, well happy new year to you too .. nice screens!!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks Advie Smile

I have updated my initial post with new infos. The most important is the short film :

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

It’s been a while since my last update on a forum… The development of Catyph is going well!

My developer name is now Simon Says: Play! as you may know (though I’m still creating this indie game on my own as a freelancer, with the help of web contributors - I’d like to thank them once again btw).

First I’d like to redirect you to the Black Cube devblog if you want to follow the latest news about the game : http://2011asa.blogspot.fr
Or you can also follow Catyph on the tumblr of our artists collective : http://www.theicehouse.fr

Catyph will take you to the Catyph system (which is a planet from the Solar System of Bohsonca, where you find your home world Terra. More specifically, you will visit one of the numerous moons of Catyph, called Tytaah. As you can see, there’s quite a world developed for the game, with exotic names and many things to discover.

You’ll start in a desertic region called Kynan, where you’re alone and a little lost. Kynan is not the perfect place for holidays: the incessant ammonia rains are slowly eroding the rare low mountains, making this continent looking like a plain of red sand.
Luckily, the moon of Tytaah is not completely desertic and you quickly find signs of life. After a few minutes of fun with the first puzzles, you enter a mysterious Geosphere Dome where you will meet an indigen (or not!) called Germinal. He’s somehow the god of Tytaah, the creator of everything, and he asks you to initiate the Kunci, an unknown mecanism of his own. Unfortunately, he thinks that you’re not ready, so you’ll have to pass a series of tests in different areas of this world, to prove that you’re the good one. Then it’s up to you to discover the truth about this story and to decide in the end if you want, or not, to trust this Germinal and use his Kunci thing.

The gameplay of Catyph is basically the same than in ASA, but there are many things I wanted to improve. First of all, Catyph will run in HD (1920x800), which has been possible with the use of another engine : Visionaire Studio. Good news, this soft is now in version 4, and brings great improvements, like the possibility to publish on Mac and Linux!
HD is not the only thing you should remind of. Catyph will feature video transitions between each frames (that you can disable anytime in a single click), several difficulty levels and a more developed story. Several characters will talk to you to make the story progress.
And last but not least, the diary of ASA has been replaced by a datalog, which contains everything you learn in the game.

There are still many more infos I would like to share, but I need time to progress in the development, so please follow the devblog! I will try to keep you updated as much as possible.

A 1st trailer will be revealed soon, to show you the region of Kynan and the very beginning of the game.

Note: I’m looking for a spanish and a german translator. If someone here is interested or heard of another perso who could help, please contact me!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Great News/Updates Simon.
I have two ‘Pro’remarks ;
1st No need to state out that its a spiritual sequel ASA ,not that is have anything against ASA (you know better) but there is a common kind of phobia towards playing sequels with out going through the original ,and since ASA wasn’t a commercial successes that might be the case.
2nd I ‘really’ liked the difficulty of ASA ,its damn hard Grin and since you had mentioned before that Catyph to ASA would be as Riven had had been to Myst that might mean more difficultly ,so anyways including some kind of a hint-sys , within the diary ,something to keep track of what is going plus what is need to be done, could be useful to most of the adventure players of this era .

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for your message Advie! It’s great to have new ideas and feedbacks.

1- ok, you’re probably right. It was more to say that it’s the same kind of game. Riven was a Myst-like and Catyph is a ASA-like. That’s all Wink But I’ll keep this in mind.

2- I think Catyph will be damn hard too lol. What you call the hint-sys is what I call the difficulty levels in the description. In fact, Catyph will have 4 modes of game :

* normal mode = you play without specific assistance, but some elements (helpers) show you where you can click or go.
* easy mode = same as normal, but there will be an “help me!” button : it will allow you to activate/desactivate an interactive guide (additional text) to solve the puzzles.
* classic mode = same as normal mode, but the helpers won’t be displayed + the video transitions will be disabled by default (with the possibility to activate them anytime). It simulates an old-school myst-like.
* chrono mode = same as classic mode but you have to finish the game before the end of a countdown. It’s more for people who already finished the game once and want more challenge. However I have problems to manage the countdown, so I’m not sure this mode will be in the final version.

Hope it answers to your questions! Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Was just reading that ASA was greenlighted on Steam,  congrats!

Catyph looks great

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Yes, thanks a lot wilco! I just learned a few minutes ago about ASA! It’s funny, it’s as if a lot of people learned the news before me ! Wink
Anyway it’s totally unexpected, it’s really a great news for the development of Catyph, in which I’m putting all my heart.
Thanks to all of you who played ASA and supported me since it released in January, 7th 2013.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I’m glad it is as hard as ASA. I am also glad you are incorporating some type of hint system! Really looking forward.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yup! Thanks Simon ,that was more than a relief Smile

uhh and who is that ,is it your ‘Harvey’ ,Simon! Tongue

Smile

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

lol yeah kinda.
I hope you know Totoro! I just love Studio Ghibli things Wink

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hello to the AG community ! You can now follow my work on The icehouse, an online collective of indie artists ! (we’re just starting, we’re only 2 for the moment)
http://www.theicehouse.fr
It’s a tumblr blog, so don’t forget to follow us if you like Smile

For example, the last featured work is a self-made figurine of Catyph modeled in Fimo paste during the last week-end :

http://www.theicehouse.fr/post/82278513981/the-final-version-of-the-15cm-figurine-of-the-hero

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi, I thought it would be a good idea to share the 1st gameplay video with you here!

Hope you like and want to know more. I’ll be around if you have questions.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Wait, is that Commander Shepard???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top