• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 11 December 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Fool’s Errand (1987) is a rather unique game and definitely worth playing if you like word games and puzzles. There was a sequel released last year called The Fool & His Money as well, though I haven’t played it yet.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played the sequel last year, not this one. Mostly difficult word puzzles, too difficult for non-natives, but I enjoyed the rest.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I played the original on a Mac simulator. I don’t think I’d call it an adventure game, simply because the narrative is so fractured and odd. I did enjoy it, but the sequel was priced exorbitantly last time I checked ($50 or so) so I’m waiting for a sale or something.

Also I could never understand how you’re supposed the puzzles where you need to figure out a button combination to create the right picture.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Antrax - 11 December 2013 04:57 AM

the sequel was priced exorbitantly last time I checked ($50 or so) so I’m waiting for a sale or something.

I bought it for $39.95, but I did think twice about it.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I played both The Fool’s Errand and The Fool and His Money and loved them both despite the fact that I am balder from all the hair pulling.  Cliff Johnson is a devilishly clever puzzle maker and a master of the metapuzzle with all puzzles leading to the final big one, which is a doozy. 

Another terrific game of Cliff’s is 3 in Three, the quest of a feisty #3 who gets bumped off an accounting sheet and into the land of words.  It’s a funny and beautifully designed game, but again, it’s a real brain boggler.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yeah, I’ve played everything he published except for the latest one - At The Carnival is also not bad, though not as good as the other two. I do admit that for some puzzles in 3 in Three I just programmed a computer to solve it as I couldn’t see a way that wasn’t brute forcing a solution.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel - 11 December 2013 12:15 PM

Another terrific game of Cliff’s is 3 in Three, the quest of a fiesty #3 who gets bumped off an accounting sheet and into the land of words.  It’s a funny and beautifully designed game, but again, it’s a real brain boggler.

I really enjoyed both. Fool’s Errand is a really smart mix of story and puzzles that complement each other. 3 in Three is really funny and inventive, although I think one must be a programmer to fully appreciate it.

Haven’t played Fool and his Money. I read that Cliff Johnson trolled his fans for years by delaying its release date every month or so Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I played this one over a decade ago. I don’t think I managed to finish it (some of those puzzles were really hard), but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
It’s more a collection of (mostly word) puzzles than an actual game, but don’t let that spoil the fun.

I haven’t bothered with the sequel because of the price, though. The price tag would make me feel like “The Fool and His Money” if I’d bought it… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top