• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 1 December 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

This scene from The Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder (2007) is quite reminiscent of the painting The Nightmare by Henry Fuseli and is particularly significant to me as I am one of those lucky people who suffers from sleep paralysis. I’ve always thought that one day I would die from it and those who knew me would comfort themselves with the thought that I seemed to die peacefully in my sleep when in reality I died in absolute suffocating terror. It’s like being murdered every time it happens.

Anyway, I didn’t really care for the thought-linking puzzles and the text underlining stuff in the game, but thought it was quite atmospheric. I should probably get around to playing the sequel some time.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The game had some nice ideas concerning the story and had a nice atmosphere (well, you know what “nice” means in these games…), but I believe that its main problem was the underlining text riddles. While a good and genuine idea, it was poorly executed. Alas, I don’t know if the sequel has the same features…

EDIT: And yes, the nightmares were scary in this game.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Bastich - 01 December 2013 01:07 AM

I am one of those lucky people who suffers from sleep paralysis. I’ve always thought that one day I would die from it and those who knew me would comfort themselves with the thought that I seemed to die peacefully in my sleep when in reality I died in absolute suffocating terror. It’s like being murdered every time it happens.

How awful for you, Bastich. I’ve experienced sleep paralysis only a few times in my life, but it was terrifying. For months afterwards I dreaded going to bed and I never sleep on my back anymore. I can’t imagine what it must be like to go through it on a regular basis.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I am one of those lucky people who suffers from sleep paralysis.

Karlok - 01 December 2013 04:52 AM

I’ve experienced sleep paralysis only a few times in my life, but it was terrifying.

I never heard of sleep paralysis before.
I guess I’m a lucky bastard.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I completely sympathise Bastich as I have experienced that but luckily just a few times in my life. For me it was never during the night but on occasions during siestas when it was sunny & warm - the perceptive side of my brain woke up (or so I thought & remembered) but not the bit that controlled my body - very scary as, as much as you try you just can’t move!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I am one of those lucky people who suffers from sleep paralysis. I’ve always thought that one day I would die from it and those who knew me would comfort themselves with the thought that I seemed to die peacefully in my sleep when in reality I died in absolute suffocating terror. It’s like being murdered every time it happens.

I actually have that too, usually accompanied by a nightmare that someone has broken into my apartement, are walking in my bedroom and, being paralyzed at the time, I can’t move an inch. It can be pretty fucking terrifying and undescribably uncomfortable (sorry for swearing, but without it, it seemed like too much of an understatement).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

This has to be one of my favourites from the past several years. Even the thought-combining/underlining segments worked for me personally for the most part. I recall a couple of instances where something became “underlinable/combinable” only after figuring out another piece of the puzzle, which I could see easily going wrong, but it usually seemed to “click” and made for a satisfying mechanic in my case (I might be mixing occurrences from both games here though, answering Sefir, both mechanics are featured in The Dark Lineage as well).
Quite a lot of those were optional, giving additional background, insight or answers. Combined with other “secrets” like locations etc. added a bit of replayability.

Always wondered what became of the authors. Wish they’d come back to the series, the ending of the sequel felt rushed and left many questions unanswered.

That being said, Your accounts of sleep paralysis (of which I hadn’t heard about either) are far more terrifying than both games combined. Sealed Lips

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top