• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloserwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 29 June 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

FUCK YOU ROBERTA!!!!!!!

fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyou

Fuck. You.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Short explanation for those who haven’t had the misfortune of playing King’s Quest II: There’s a bridge that you need to cross at least 7 times over the course of the game. And if you try to cross it an 8th time, it collapses and kills you. Shifty Eyed

Of course, it’s usually in the beginning that you tend to “waste” one of your crossings, but it’s late into the game that it’ll eventually kill you, forcing you to replay a huge chunk of the game for no good reason.

The fantastic AGDI remake offers a very nice twist on that collapsing bridge situation.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

LOL! I remember that bridge… you had to cross it in order to reach the strange door, which you cannot enter until much later. People who like to explore first before actually doing anything (me!) get punished. In Roberta’s defense, what she did was the rule, not an exception. All text adventures and other adventurelike games were extremely unforgiving in those days. So we didn’t know any better.  Mini Frown

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It’s interesting seeing how the King’s Quest games progress and become increasingly cinematic with each entry to the point of replicating a Disney film by the time it reaches its seventh instalment.

The giant King Graham walking onto the KQ2 screen and bowing to the player is so simple but very memorable and such a nicer alternative than the bland scrolling credits screen of the first King’s Quest. Following the title screen, you go straight into the opening cut scene that establishes the hero’s journey right off the bat like a traditional fairy tale normally would. It’s very well done.

It’s just such a shame I suck at this series. Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

sorry but that is Outrageous !
so Fuck me too

Edit: Sorry, my reaction was really not so fair but it just got to me Smile

(you can just blame who invented the car because he didn’t include a spare tire)

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Still not as evil as the cat-mouse episode from King’s Quest 5 Naughty

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I should get hanged for this, but I’ve never actually played any “Quest” game (King’s, Space, Police,etc)...(and these examples of unfair “death riddles” is probably a good reason why I shouldn’t.).

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Arial Type - 29 June 2012 01:11 PM

Still not as evil as the cat-mouse episode from King’s Quest 5 Naughty

no developer wanna be (evil) purposely they just search for (an experimental) new ways ...

when the Miler’s brothers made Myst they were just looking (praying) for 1/8 of the numbers of sold copies that actually happened later,
Adventure definitions/rules are so elastic and meant to be always expanded

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

There are quite a few ways to die in KQ2. Most of them annoying as hell.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I never played the earlier KQs, I think I played V and VI a bit, only VII through.
But I can still totally relate Wink.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Advie - 29 June 2012 01:31 PM

no developer wanna be (evil) purposely they just search for (an experimental) new ways ...

when the Miler’s brothers made Myst they were just looking (praying) for 1/8 of the numbers of sold copies that actually happened later,
Adventure definitions/rules are so elastic and meant to be always expanded

I’m not a fan of Mysts, but those games are mostly fair to the player. Puzzles require logic. In many Roberta’s games luck often plays an important role. There are dead-ends, illogical, timed puzzles. Cat-mouse puzzle is a combination of all. And I blame Roberta for that)) I still enjoy King’s Quests.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Arial Type - 29 June 2012 02:38 PM
Advie - 29 June 2012 01:31 PM

but those games are mostly fair to the player. Puzzles require logic. In many Roberta’s games luck often plays an important role. There are dead-ends, illogical, timed puzzles. Cat-mouse puzzle is a combination of all. And I blame Roberta for that)) I still enjoy King’s Quests.

well you mean actually Sierra early 80’s and the years of the birth of Adventures.

its just nothing but the eventual Flaws that happens with freshly created things (Evolution) , no one believed before 82-84 that IBM computers can be used as gaming consoles , and Sierra had a big share into marketing and developing the Software/Game technology and market not only Adventures (King Quest 1 was funded by Bill gates with 700,000 which was a huge cost a the time) and in less than 10 years PCs went from using floppies to Cds and Dvds ....  .

anyway it harsh to stress negativity on the Sierra early mistake/flaws and neglect all their Positive action and their consequences/influences over themself and others too.

plus if you want play Sierra’s Games you must always expect a lot of death scenes and sometimes deadends too and can choose not

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top