• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 16 November 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the people involved with making Dondra: A New Beginning (1987) (a.k.a Questmaster: The Prism of Heheutotol) were fans of Moebius’ Arzach comic books.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

That’s a lot of colours for a 1987 game. Did they already have VGA back then, or is it from a non-PC game/version?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I dont know anything about this game but VGA is from ... 1987!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I only count 10 colours, that’s not all that much imo.
LSL was a 1987 game as well and that used 16 colours too…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well that looks exactly like the number of colors used at the 1st Gobliiins which came 1991 but I am not surprised as Coktel Vision had used these number of colors at their early game (might be their 1st) Méwilo

P.S: no need to click the image that is its full size already

Image Attachments

images.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I took that screenshot from the 1989 DOS version which supposedly got enhanced graphics.

For the record, the release dates I list are, as is appropriate, always for the original game release, while the overwhelming majority of my screenshots will be from the PC versions released in English. Sometimes there will be visual discrepancies due to this. On occasion, they will look better as above, but often they are much worse, like the early CGA game ports from other platforms. I’ll try to be better about pointing out such differences when they occur in the future.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Is that a river below or does that man rides a giant bird/thingie? And more importantly, is he feeding it with the link of sausages stored on top of its body?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yes that what is called a build in feeding sausages tube directed right into its brains all you have to do is squeeze the tip

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 16 November 2013 09:22 AM

I only count 10 colours, that’s not all that much imo.
LSL was a 1987 game as well and that used 16 colours too…

Yes, but Sierra games only used the standard 16-colour palette. This game, however, uses different colours. According to Wikipedia, EGA actually let you pick the 16 colours out of 64 available (which I didn’t know was possible), so this is what this game must be doing. Which begs the question: Why did Sierra (and LEC and almost everyone else) stick with the nasty default palette instead of customizing it per screen?

(Advie’s right that Gobliiins did use different palettes, as did Future Wars / Operation Stealth / Cruise for a Corpse. Must be a French thing…)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

come to think of it again actually Sierra did use this enhanced palette at Manhunter Newyork (‘88) .
I think the only reason (as this EGA was available from ‘84)that Sierra did not use it earlier MIGHT be due to incapability to store in the data with it into the 5-1/5 diskettes and it wasn’t until ‘88 when the 3-1/2 overselled the prior so they moved to the new tech.
it wasn’t a normal or easy thing to change you disk driver eary year or so, though I had my hell of a time with that problem with an external 3-1/2 disk driver attached to my CPU  

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top