• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Bug in Kings Quest 6!?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-10-30

PM

Im currently (re)playing Kings Quest 6. I started playing it a long time ago but never finished it.

I am about halfway in the game and I need to get swamp ooze. To obtain this I need to get the two brothers in the swamp (the stick and the log) fighting so stick will throw swamp ooze at his brother so I can put it in my cup….. The way to do this is by giving the rotten tomato to the log so he can throw it at his brother…..or so the walkthrough says (unfortunately I had to consult one).

HOWEVER….

What I did was throwing the tomato at the stick myself, after which the brothers stopped fighting and fell asleep, WITHOUT throwing the swamp ooze.

I can’t wake them up anymore and there are no more rotten tomatoes. So I guess I need to go back to a savegame before this action, which was pretty much at the beginning of the game. I dont want to replay it again so I will put the game aside, unless someone here knows wat to do?  Mini Frown

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It’s not a bug, but a dead end. The only solution is to reload an earlier save.

KQ6 had fewer dead ends than earlier Sierra games, but they weren’t gone. There are several instances where you can find yourself in an unwinnable state…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I remember this, it happened to me too. It’s pretty annoying, but it’s not a bug. You can still finish the game, but you have to take the shorter path. (You’ll miss the druids’ island, the land of the dead and the best ending.) If it’s any consolation, I recommend checking out both paths if you haven’t before. Smile

Edit: Apparently I was ninja’d. But I don’t believe you need the swamp ooze for the short path?

Joined 2013-10-30

PM

A dead end, wow, seriously? Built that into a game now and it won’t even be published I think. I played a lot of Space Quest, but I can’t remember any dead ends there. What a bummer. I’m not starting over again, I’m halfway through the game and I am already on the druids island. Although I have no clue what to do there for now. I will try finishing it without the swamp ooze I guess….

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Guybrush Threepwood - 30 October 2013 05:51 PM

I played a lot of Space Quest, but I can’t remember any dead ends there.

All early Sierra games were filled with dead ends, and the Space Quest games were no exception…

While I agree that dead ends are bad game design, not everyone thinks that… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Guybrush Threepwood - 30 October 2013 05:51 PM

A dead end, wow, seriously? Built that into a game now and it won’t even be published I think. I played a lot of Space Quest, but I can’t remember any dead ends there. What a bummer. I’m not starting over again, I’m halfway through the game and I am already on the druids island. Although I have no clue what to do there for now. I will try finishing it without the swamp ooze I guess….

The paths branch after you finish the Beauty and the Beast quest. Once you’ve played through that, do not return to the druids’ island and you’ll be on the “short path” and you won’t need the swamp ooze.

Make sure you save before you enter the castle, though; there are a couple of dead ends there if you get in unprepared.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

As others have said, you should still be able to complete the game with the shorter of the two branching paths. Like Harald, I think both paths are worth seeing, so I recommend you continue.

If you want to go back later and see the longer path after you’ve finished the shorter path, these save game files may help, or perhaps these. (I haven’t tested either.) To make sure your existing saves don’t get messed up, you should back up your existing saves in another folder location first (unless you’re absolutely sure that you’re finished with the shorter path and don’t care about your old saves anymore).

On the deaths and dead ends issue: yeah, classic Sierra games (especially the older ones) were definitely designed on the assumption that players would keep multiple save game files, rather than just one or two, so they would never have to backtrack too much. I agree that this is a questionable assumption that has caused the games to not age well into the modern era of checkpoints and autosaves, though they are still great games in many other respects. The only thing to do, I suppose, is to keep many save game files at various points of the game in order to protect against what can otherwise be rather unforgiving design sometimes.

Joined 2013-10-30

PM

Thank you all for your great help, I will continue my quest once more…. Smile

I really like the Sierra games, played them a lot, especially Space Quest. Never played King’s Quest though. I really like the game, the story is well constructed, there are some fantastic puzzles in my opinion. The overall atmosphere of the Great Isles is brilliant. I knew about the deaths in Sierra games, however I never realized the dead ends.

Oh well….adventure on!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top