• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserMike the WinoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nintendo 2DS (spin-off thread)

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

This is a spin-off thread from a conversation about the Nintendo 2DS that began here in the Ace Attorney 5 thread.

TimovieMan - 30 August 2013 12:11 PM

The thing is a monstrosity

Actually, the 2DS is not even as big as it may look without a frame of reference. You can see here how the 2DS looks in the hands of a young girl in the bottom right corner of the header image. And in the size comparison image further down in the same article, you can see how the 2DS is about as wide but not as tall as an unfolded 3DS XL. The screens are the same size as the 3DS, but not as large as the 3DS XL.

But the rest of your post about how Marek changed your mind by pointing out that the 2DS is targeted at children is spot on. Polygon did an insightful opinion piece assessing this. Nintendo’s marketing and press release have emphasized children and families, and it is no coincidence that this launches the exact same day as Pokémon X and Y.

wilco - 30 August 2013 12:24 PM

I just think its ugly has hell, looks impractical, and losing the clam-shell design makes it less portable.

I miss the clamshell design too, but in fairness the 2DS isn’t mainly intended for me. The hinge of a clamshell is a potential breaking point, so making the 2DS rigid and unbendable makes it more durable for young kids. The Leapfrog educational tablet market is a good point of comparison.

No clamshell also makes the 2DS cheaper to manufacture, allowing Nintendo to lower the price point. The “two” screens of the 2DS are actually one large screen (cheaper to manufacture) blocked and segmented by the plastic covering.

Because there was speculation and confusion, the Nintendo of America president explicitly stated that they designed the 2DS with fix, six, and seven-year-olds in mind as potential players. (As Tim said, this is also a reason to drop 3D, besides cost.)

Which is not to say the 2DS couldn’t appeal to older children or to adult gamers—it’s a good value if you don’t care about 3D, and some people who’ve used it claim the button placement makes it more comfortable to hold. But the gamers whose initial reaction was that the 2DS is a baffling design choice may simply not realize that Nintendo didn’t build it primarily for them, since they are already well served by the 3DS or 3DS XL.

The biggest thing Nintendo has going against them is explaining to people that the 2DS plays 3DS games, which is a potential point of significant confusion.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 30 August 2013 01:19 PM

I miss the clamshell design too, but in fairness the 2DS isn’t mainly intended for me. The hinge of a clamshell is a potential breaking point, so making the 2DS rigid and unbendable makes it more durable for young kids. The Leapfrog educational tablet market is a good point of comparison.

I guess there could be a market for that, I just found it weird that they would launch an intirely new product for such a specific market. The picture makes it look smaller that I thought it was, kind of like an opened up 3DS XL. Still the less portability is a problem, I see lots of kids with DSs on malls, streets, etc. This seems more like a “home”-tablet.

No clamshell also makes the 2DS cheaper to manufacture, allowing Nintendo to lower the price point. The “two” screens of the 2DS are actually one large screen (cheaper to manufacture) blocked and segmented by the plastic covering.

Didn’t know that. It’s mindblowing to me! Smile

Which is not to say the 2DS couldn’t appeal to older children or to adult gamers—it’s a good value if you don’t care about 3D, and some people who’ve used it claim the button placement makes it more comfortable to hold.

I believe that a lot, I was highly skeptical of the Wii-U controller until I got one.It feels great. Nintendo sure knows how to manufacture comfy controls.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2013-08-14

PM

This isn’t Nintendo competing with Sony. Or even with themselves. This is Nintendo competing with Apple. And Samsung. And Nokia. And HTC. And others.

Here’s the truth. I never turn on the 3D feature on my 3DS. Makes my eyes cross. Gives me a headache. I can’t imagine using it in shifting light or moving conditions.

So, a 2D model that’s cheaper all around (no hinges saves on costs, a single screen saves on costs, no 3D saves on costs) that can play 3D games? I can’t say its a bad idea. Nintendo is trying to position themselves as having the best quality game device for the price on the market.

Of course, NONE of this addresses the big problem Nintendo has. It isn’t hardware. Its the fact that I can go to the app store and get a dozen pretty good game for free in seconds. I can’t do that in a 2DS and that’s where their true problem is.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Nintendo has sold 30 million 3DS’s so the app store isn’t as much of an issue as you think.

The reason for this console is probably because the 3D tech is not recommended for children 8 or under so they are missing a market at the moment. This would fill it by keeping the upgrade from the DS and just removing the 3D part.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Great thread (and a good idea to divert it away from its original thread to not derail that one - thanks, Caliburn)!

Well, most of what I would say about the 2DS has been covered in my post in the AA5 thread and expanded on in this OP, so I have little to add.

Just want to say that Nintendo really knows how to reach the masses, even if that’s not apparent at first sight.
Also, I don’t really think they’re trying to compete with tablets and smartphones. If they’re really aiming at young children (5-8 years old), then imo they’re UNDER the target age for tablets and smartphones (or am I old-fashioned for not wanting to give a tablet or smartphone to a 7-year-old?).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Haha TimovieMan, you’re completely out of touch! Grin

My sisters kid (3’ish years old) plays (and watches a lot of cartoons) with her dads tablet all the time - and my brothers two kids (6 and 8… I think) both have their own tablet as their main source of interactive entertainment.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

The point about hinges is very appropriate. I had given my DS to my 6yr old cousin and within a week the hinge was out. I’ve been thinking about a 3DS to replace the DS, but never got around to getting one. I’ve got small hands, and the extra battery life of the 2DS is another plus point for it. And it can play all the 3DS games (and the all the DS ones of course, what an amazing collection that is!). I’m actually finding the 2DS to be very interesting, even for myself Grin

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Of course - I am really happy with my 3DS XL and VITA - both are $199 and worth every penny. I have 54 games on the 3DS and 44 games on the VITA - so I am more than set with this generation.

I DO believe that the 2DS will be a BIG HIT - it is cheap, durable, powerful and has a HUGE library of games to choose from.

I would not be surprised if the 2DS is the most popular console of this generation. Sony needs to make a cheap handheld also - how about a PSP-3000 with a card slot instead of a UMD drive for $99 dollars?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2013-08-14

PM

The point about children under eight not being able to use the 3D functions on the 3DS is a good one. As is the point about the hinges being fragile. Going out and about, it isn’t at all uncommon for me to see a small child, probably ten or under, playing on a 3DS or DS. A smaller model that would work well in tiny hands would probably sell very well, especially with an extensive advertisement campaign. That explains why they’re leading with Pokemon X and Y too.

I’m not sure if such a move would work for Sony, though. Maybe if they could work it to bundle it in a way that it could play Free Realms? That’s Sony’s big push for younger children.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 31 August 2013 12:16 AM

Haha TimovieMan, you’re completely out of touch! Grin

I know. But I have ample time to adjust that mindset. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

It’s released. Anyone tried one yet?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It is out - sold out in 4 hours as well. More arriving. I played it. If you take a regular 3DS and turn the 3D off - it plays exactly like that.

For $129 - it is a steal. Nintendo has proved that handheld consoles are not being replaced by tablets anytime soon.

I’m sure that AA5 will play perfectly on it - for many the 2DS will be the handheld to own.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top