• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 28 January 2013

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I loved GK1 and also GK2.  I played GK3 and enjoyed it, but, I found the controls clunky and it was so dark, even with the gamma turned up that half the time during the night scenes I was just looking for arrows on the screen to get out of places. Story-wise, I think GK1 was the best. I have replayed that game prolly around 100 to 200 times. well, lots and lots of times. as for GK2, I usually quit playing when he turns into a wolf. messing around with all those doors always bores me.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 30 September 2013 05:35 PM

Thanks for the review! Now do yourself a favor and play the best adventure game aka GK2 Grin

I’ll finish Area-X first, and then I’ll play The Last Express and Tex Murphy: Mean Streets before tackling Beast Within. Don’t want to end up with a Gabriel Knight overdose… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 30 September 2013 05:41 PM

The Last Express

Oh, well that’s another “the best adventure game”. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Great review, Tim! You’re spot on Thumbs Up
I replayed GK1 earlier this year, and absolutely loved it, again. Though, I was a bit annoyed by the fact that you can’t use the hand icon to open doors, you must use the open icon, as if opening a door doesn’t involve using hands Tongue There were also a great number of bugs included with the GoG version. I found it to be very difficult in some sections, and it almost made me feel abit proud that my friends and I managed to clear it back in the day (with each others help ofcourse). This time around I resorted to a walkthrough on several occasions Confused

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you couldnt give 5/5 !!! now I know why AGers is so stingy with stars Tongue , guess it runs in the family

but thats one great Review Tim Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-09-27

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 28 January 2013 02:20 PM

To me the GK series started and ended with GK1. While it may not be perfect it’s a million times better than the absolutely awful GK2 and 3. GK2 is possibly the biggest disappointment of my gaming youth.

I found the FMV in GK2 to be unbearable; it was so painful to watch that I stopped playing the game after an hour, and have never been even slightly tempted to give it another chance. I was stunned to see all the glowing reviews, and thought I must be the only one who didn’t ‘get it’. At least now I know I’m not the only one who hated the game. Luckily I only paid $3 for it.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Since everyone’s voicing their opinions…

Since no one has (if I saw right) yet said that GK3 is their favorite, I might as well Smile I feel that the games got better with each one. GK1 was a fantastic game (certainly one of the best games of all time), but certain parts of it were a bit clunky (the ‘write a message’ puzzle, sheesh… I mean, great idea, but the fact that it had to be so exact…) and had certain other 90’s era AG things that slightly hindered the experience (interface stuff and some ‘miss/forget to do A and you reach a dead end’).

GK2 - I admit, I was originally quite sceptic of the FMV. And it has its silly moments, but overall it turned out to be quite a nice experience. Anyways, game-wise, I love how the game flows, and the story and characters are all, once again, beautifully crafted. It’s a tad on the easy side, though, and sometimes the actors do quite the overacting Grin

And finally GK3… Just, what can I say? Sure it has its flaws - and 3D rarely ages well, though I have to say, I don’t think it’s that bad (and in fact, this one is one of the best-aged 3D games I’ve seen) and in fact, although things like the character models have issues, for example equally good facial expressions wouldn’t be seen for years. But frankly, I don’t even care about those flaws because the game is just so brilliant. And so much ahead of its time. It’s full of little nuances, such a living world wasn’t seen - once again - for years (and still, most of the “life” in all kinds of games just feels glued-on, like it’s so obviously scripted). Things are happening even without you seeing them, there are some really interesting gameplay mechanics (even if the bat-swatting was cut out Tongue) - and the Greatest Puzzle Ever (and the Silliest Puzzle Ever, too Grin). To me, it’s the most replayable game I’ve played (much more so than, for example, RPGs (Bioware etc.)). There’s almost always something you’ve missed, something that gives more insight to the story. And the story is soo good!

And, though people before have been hating on it: the best AG interface ever. The immersion is so deep (and if the graphics were on modern level… it’d be something amazing). In fact, I was just digging through my old gaming magazines and found a GK3 preview article, where Jane talked about how she expects the engine to become an industry standard. Oh well… Anyways, to top it off, the story is fantastic, the music brilliant. My main grief is the end part with the death scenes and all, but even with them, I can’t get enough of the game.

I just wish I could replay it without any previous experience, I played it quite young with my brother for the first time, and so I didn’t get to actually figure out nearly everything myself (not that that wasn’t fun, too, of course).

You know, I’d be interested in seeing which game people prefer and which they started with. I have a feeling there’s at least a bit of a correlation (not saying it’s going to be a strong one, but a bit). I did start with GK3…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 30 September 2013 05:54 PM

you couldnt give 5/5 !!! now I know why AGers is so stingy with stars Tongue , guess it runs in the family

Right, 4.5/5 is stingy these days… Tongue

Games don’t get more than 4 stars on a daily basis in my book, you know. VERY few qualify. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 01 October 2013 05:09 AM

some ‘miss/forget to do A and you reach a dead end’).

Really? I didn’t encounter any dead ends at all. Closest thing to it would be forgetting to put the tracker and snake rod in the elevator for Moseley or not being fully prepared/disguised when entering the ritual in the swamp, or the endgame but all those can still be solved with only a minute of backtracking at most…

You know, I’d be interested in seeing which game people prefer and which they started with. I have a feeling there’s at least a bit of a correlation (not saying it’s going to be a strong one, but a bit). I did start with GK3…

Let me get back to you on that in a few months. I’m playing them in order, but I reckon I can evaluate them objectively enough to properly compare the three…

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 01 October 2013 01:09 PM
UPtimist - 01 October 2013 05:09 AM

some ‘miss/forget to do A and you reach a dead end’).

Really? I didn’t encounter any dead ends at all. Closest thing to it would be forgetting to put the tracker and snake rod in the elevator for Moseley or not being fully prepared/disguised when entering the ritual in the swamp, or the endgame but all those can still be solved with only a minute of backtracking at most…

Okay, “dead ends” was a little too much - since technically those aren’t dead ends, like you said (plus, I never inteded to imply many! Just two or so, unintentional). But I was stuck on the one you first mentioned for hours and I really thought I had reached a dead end Grin So maybe that’s why I said in plural, in my head it had become a dead end Tongue

But I seem to remember a (more of a bug than any type of intentional) dead end of not picking up a snake scale in the murder site and that leading to issues, or something like that. Or do I remember wrong?

Anyways, someone here mentions a kind of dead-end at day 10, but with a “fair warning that you are passing the point of no return” *shrug*

Let me get back to you on that in a few months. I’m playing them in order, but I reckon I can evaluate them objectively enough to properly compare the three…

Hope you will! I’d love to hear your opinions Smile

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

UPtimist - 02 October 2013 05:21 AM

But I seem to remember a (more of a bug than any type of intentional) dead end of not picking up a snake scale in the murder site and that leading to issues, or something like that. Or do I remember wrong?

I won’t forget the one you mean in a hurry, I was stuck on it for weeks as there were no walkthroughs available at the time.

It’s the snake scale on the veil dropped by the fortune teller woman. If you don’t get it before giving the veil back to her (which is the logical thing to do immediately) you can’t convince Mosley to re-open the case and you can’t progress any further.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 02 October 2013 05:21 AM

You could be right, but I wouldn’t know since I did pick up that object on my first go - I went Sherlock Holmes on that site…

Intense Degree - 02 October 2013 06:08 AM

It’s the snake scale on the veil dropped by the fortune teller woman. If you don’t get it before giving the veil back to her (which is the logical thing to do immediately) you can’t convince Mosley to re-open the case and you can’t progress any further.

Then it must be a bug, no? Picking that one up is entirely optional, imo, as it has nothing to do with the case…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top