• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

released kickstarter adventures?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

hey there ag.  i was recently looking up some new kickstarter projects and it got me to wondering about which projects have been completed.  i know that leisure suit larry 1 was released already and that game is pretty fun, but are there any others?  id like to check out some indie adventures that were successful via kickstarter but i dont know where to look for this kinda info. 

does anyone know of other games that were completed?  currently, quest for infamy is number 1 on my radar (cant wait! the demo is so awesome!:)) but it got me to wondering if any other fun kickstarter projects have already been finished like lsl1?  is there a list of this anywhere perhaps? 

also… a bit off topic, but i just discovered the completed kickstarter project for shadowrun returns… wow what a great game!! i know its not really adventure.  more of top down turn based action rpg, but it DOES have a bit of puzzle solving, exploration and story playing elements. plus you get to pick conversation choices which really have an impact on the game progress.  i think its the most fun game ive played in awhile, even if its only slightly related to the ag genre.  so anyone know of other awesome completed kickstarter projects?  id be interested in anything outside of pure adventure too if anyone has suggestions… because adventure gamers have the best taste.  cheers Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

In adventure genre Cognition and Resonance are the only ones that come in mind besides Larry Reloaded. Though I’ve understood Resonance wasn’t fully funded through KS.

Tex Murphy: Tesla effect should be released in the beginning of next year and Broken Sword 5 should also hit out around the same time, as is the first part of Broken Age. I think Shadowgate should be coming out around the same time as well.

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

The Curse of Shadow House was also funded by a Kickstarter campaign.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/25264

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Yeah, although 2013 looked like it would be a big year, it seems like it’s going to be 2014. We’re still waiting to see if this whole Kickstarter thing will pay off or not. I still think it will, but it’s also clear that probably not all of these games will end up being as good as we hoped.

I’m pretty optimistic about Tex Murphy, Broken Sword, and Dreamfall right now. I also think Broken Age and Moebius will pull through in the end, but I worry they might have issues.

I’m less confident about some of the others like Space Venture and Hero U. It seems like there are serious problems there. Hopefully they can at least ship and come out ok, but I don’t feel like they’ll live up to their legacies. But who knows.

Overall, though, I feel like if half of these games live up to their promises, the whole investment will have been worth it.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-04-27

PM

First of all hi I mostly just lurk, but I am here relatively often.

There is thread on another site that I lurk on that lists all released crowdfunding games(at least tries there are some games missing)

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20742

Actual sunlight- Adventure about man struggling with heavy depression, great reviews.I bought game but I haven’t played it yet.

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded - New game in point and click adventure series that had it’s best days during golden era of adventures.Relatively big kickstarter, they asked for 500k got around 600k.Reviews are not good so far.

Kentucky route zero- I knew about this game but I didn’t know it’s kickstarter game until recently.This is game funded in pre-Schieffer era, asked for only 6k got 8k.Heavily praised game.

Magrunner: Dark pulse - they had their own crowd-funding.It’s first person puzzler with Cthulhu involved somehow. Initial reviews are very good.My opinion of game in short:Good puzzles, bad writing.

Paranormal - horror adventure unfortunately I know little about this one, I didn’t see any reviews but I seen that there is expansion on kickstarter that is near the end with double of asked funds (3000$ asked).

Reversion: Chapter 2 - The meeting Adventure game with a small indiegogo campaign. Reached its goals with a few $ to spare. Alright reviews, has been in a bundle, don’t know how well it has sold.

Trip-Surreal exploration game with only 2.2k budget.

The time tribe-Episodic educational adventure.Asked for 25k on KS got 30k, no reviews on regular gaming sites but there are some on sites dedicated to education games and they are positive

Most complete list I seen but lacks few games like Cognition(first episode was funded on KS at the end of 2011) and The Curse of Shadow House from adventures.And list could really use release dates on games.

Anyway I am not thriled what crowdfunding has brought(there are few good games and lot more junk) so far but all major games are yet to be released so I am positive about most of them.I am ostly hyped about Dreamfall chapters and Broken age(even with all problems).

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Raving lunatic - 26 September 2013 06:15 AM

Anyway I am not thriled what crowdfunding has brought(there are few good games and lot more junk) so far but all major games are yet to be released so I am positive about most of them.I am ostly hyped about Dreamfall chapters and Broken age(even with all problems).

I think it’s just as likely for crowdfunded game to be bad as it’s for traditionally funded game. In the end it’s always about the people who are doing the game and sometimes people have more ambition than they have skill or the idea they had doesn’t manage to carry the game as far as they though it would have. And in some cased it has been rather evident, that the people themselves are rather poor at estimating how much time things take or that they even might have poor manner of control in how they actually do work.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-04-27

PM

tomimt - 26 September 2013 06:37 AM

I think it’s just as likely for crowdfunded game to be bad as it’s for traditionally funded game. In the end it’s always about the people who are doing the game and sometimes people have more ambition than they have skill or the idea they had doesn’t manage to carry the game as far as they though it would have. And in some cased it has been rather evident, that the people themselves are rather poor at estimating how much time things take or that they even might have poor manner of control in how they actually do work.

That is true, that is why I back Kickstarters from authors I know and like.Maybe that is wrong attitude because there are some games from unknown teams that deserve chance to be made(Kentucky route zero is positive example of this)but I just don’t want to gamble because from what is seen so far there is bigger chance is that I will be disappointed.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I actually back with a similar attitude and at least what comes to project control I’ve been disappointed in a few cases, but some other cases have surprised me positively. For an example Shadowgate wasn’t a priority backing for me, but the team has handled the communication and the project in such a manner, that I can’t do nothing else but to tip my hat at them, when at the same time I’ve been shaking my head at some other long time professionals, thinking that it almost looks like they don’t know what they are doing.

It’s been pretty eye opening how huge diffences there’s between people who all have been working in the industry for decades.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It highlights the difference between being an experienced industry vet and actually having a full team of experienced industry vets in an established studio. As much as we like to give these individuals so much credit (sometimes rightfully so as teams were much smaller back when), it really is a collaborative medium.

The companies that seem to be doing best are the ones with more than just “the guy” at the helm. Revolution is pretty much the same studio they were. Big Finish Games has like 5 or 6 of the leads from their old games. Red Thread, while new, is almost entirely Funcom vets. Meanswhile the companies attempting to establish new studios and have this as their first game are struggling, and the ones that are outsourcing to other studios are getting products that are about what you’d expect from those teams.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That too. And perhaps in some cases the people who have been primarly designers before hitting a business of their own have also some what misjudged how difficult it is to kick up a well running company.

And it certainly is true, that those projects that have had an well established group or company behind them have done pretty well. Larry Reloaded showed it pretty well, that you can steer the project in the right direction relatively quickly if you already got connections and you have a general idea of what you are doing. After they dropped their original developer some people were a bit worried, but after all was said and done, they did manage to deliver the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top