• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Cognition Episode 4: The Cain Killer is coming out on September 19th!

New trailer:

New screenshots: http://www.postudios.com/blog/?p=3287

And we’ll be having a livestream event once again! On Sept. 19th at 11 AM PDT/2PM PDT, live Q&A, giveaways, and two special guests: Amy K. Browne, the voice of Cordelia, and none other than Jane Jensen!

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I just finished the last episode, and to be quite honest I’m not quite sure what to make of it.

Story-wise it is the weakest in the series but that is only natural. The story was pretty much told at the end of the 3rd episode, and the 4th is really about tying up the lose ends and ending the story, rather then adding something new. As such it does an okay job, but I still expected something more, and that simply wasn’t there in this episode.

Looking purely at this episode I’m a bit disappointed, but overall I still very much enjoyed the whole game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I’m with you, Iznogood. I thought the 4th episode was the weakest in the series. Too much “cognition” powers to be used and nothing really “new” to go ahead. The first episode is the best of them all and, at the end, there seams to me that I was a “Superman” using “X Ray” to solve all the puzzles. I guess I’m not too fond of having supernatural powers…

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

FINALLY got my email from Rain! That took way too long.

Not upset or anything, was just getting antsy to play it! Smile

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I agree that the last episode was not as strong as the third (which was pretty much exeptionally great) but I still enjoyed it and found it a good conclusion to the season. I am pretty sure that it will taste better as a part of the whole package than separately like this.

Cognition power puzzles have mostly been the most entertaining ones so I have to disagree with UruBoo at that point.

It didn’t blow my mind (the 3rd one quite did it) but very enjoyable. Definitely a replay coming at some point.

Oh, and I got the Steam key before the game was even visible in Steam so I was very happy about the delivery Grin. And surely a bang for my buck.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

AA: glad to hear that!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We did try some different things with this episode, so it’s helpful to get your thoughts on that! And we do hope we can explore more stories with Erica in the future, too. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

I thought it was ok story-wise, although a little confusing at first because it’s been quite a while since the last episode and I didn’t remember exactly what was going on and I didn’t think the “previously” intro helped as much as it should.

The thing that I found annoying was the amount of trial-and-error that result to death puzzles. I don’t have a problem with dying (as long as there’s auto-save) is the trial and error aspect of the puzzles that bugs me. It’s annoying to have to restore several times the game until you find the right combination of answers in a dialog.

I still enjoyed the episode though and I think overall cognition was one of the best adventure games I’ve played this year.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I finally got a chance to play through the last episode.  Unfortunately, it couldn’t really reach the heights of Episode 3.  This episode was, by necessity, very linear, taking one location at a time, which makes it easier.  But I liked how it was very puzzle-dense, with essentially no filler.  It also continued the trend of each episode getting shorter. 

However, taken as a whole, I thought Cognition was a great game.  It was one of the most enjoyable and fun adventures I’ve played in a few years.  I really like the story and how dark it was.  My main complaint would be the terrible character models/animations, but it seems in poor form for an adventure game fan to bitch about bad graphics.  It was definitely one of my favorite recent adventures, and I hope it does well in the end of the year polls. 

I’m personally disappointed that MGX is a GK1 remake, but I feel very comfortable with it being done by POS.  I’m really looking forward to Moebius.

Lastly, I think this game will hold up really well with a replay doing all episodes at once.  Then, the differences between episodes will seem less important.

Good job, guys.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Sorry, I have to add one more spoiler-heavy comment.

I’m hoping there are two ways to interpret Erica’s conversation with John at the end.  I would like to think this is just an imaginary conversation she is having in her mind, imagining John and what he would say to her.  The other alternative is of course that John’s ghost is talking to her.  I really hope this is not the case.  It doesn’t make any sense that Erica would suddenly have another power, being able to speak to the dead.  His ghostly dissolution at the end makes me think the second choice is what the writers intended, but I’m going to pretend it’s the first.  And, please, please, if there is a Cognition sequel, don’t have John along as a ghostly sidekick who can give Erica advice or hints when she needs them.

Along those lines, though, I would love to see further Erica Reed adventures.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

thank you Interplay! So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

And as to your spoiler question: More the former, actually—if you watch carefully, Erica is holding John’s lighter while talking to him.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Really interested in getting this. After playing the demo though, I found it quite buggy. Have they been fixed in the final version?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have never played the demo, I didn’t even know there was one, but as I recall then I didn’t really encounter any bugs in the game, so I would say yes.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

We’ve made a lot of updates and fixes to the full game, yes, that haven’t filtered down into the demo. And our tech support is very good & very prompt. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Sold! Smile

Thanks.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

w00t! Enjoy! Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top