• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough No # 24: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 12 September 2013 04:03 PM

Some manuals also contain a walkthrough of the first chapter, just because it is there then it doesn’t mean you have to read it.

Well, my manual for IHNMAIMS does contain a walkthrough for the first half of Gorrister’s chapter, so that’s definitely where I stopped reading. Tongue

It doesn’t really count in your argument, imo, because that was at the very end of the manual. I really feel as if you’re meant to read the introduction and character backgrounds, since they came before the instructions for the interface and controls in the manual…

Besides, I always read (or at the very least browse) the manual for any game I play…
Even if I feel that any game where you need to read the manual to figure out the controls is a game that was designed poorly… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

TimovieMan - 12 September 2013 06:18 PM

Besides, I always read (or at the very least browse) the manual for any game I play…

Ah, there’s a man after my own heart!

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

So I have got the game installed and ready to go!

I watched the intro—very light hearted game indeed. I really only have one question - what is that supposed to be coming out of the bottom of the torture cages? Is it light?

I am so ready to start—can’t wait to hear what character we are starting with!

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Watched the intro…very unsettling. I’m a little surprised that a game with torture is out there. I’m quite excited. The game seems to be running fine, a bit slow/laggy during the cutscene, but as long as there’s no timed puzzles, I should be okay.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 12 September 2013 06:18 PM

It doesn’t really count in your argument, imo, because that was at the very end of the manual. I really feel as if you’re meant to read the introduction and character backgrounds, since they came before the instructions for the interface and controls in the manual…

Even if I feel that any game where you need to read the manual to figure out the controls is a game that was designed poorly… Grin

Don’t get me wrong, I was not making the argument that you shouldn’t read the background story in the manual, just that it is not required reading because most of the same information, as I recall, is also told in-game.

Also, again as I recall, it has been at least 10 years since I originally played it, so I might remember something wrong, the protagonists doesn’t know all of this from the beginning of the game, but learns it along the way, which is why I would personally prefer also not to know it before they do.

I actually also prefer to read the manual before I start a game, and hate when digital distributions doesn’t contain a manual, but I usually skip these kind of background stories or at least only browse them very quickly, unless it is a sequel to a game where I haven’t played the original.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

TimovieMan - 12 September 2013 12:14 PM

Having read the story, I now fail to see how there could be a lot of similarity between the story and the game apart from the setting and the characters. The introduction we get on the 5 characters in the game’s intro (and what you can find out about them in the manual) is already a departure from the short story.
Plus reading the story got me some advance acquaintance with the main characters, which will be a plus in the game, I reckon…

I decided to read it too. First off it is definitely by no means typical of what I normally read in a typical day. Quite some imagination. Even though I have only witnessed the intro portion of the game and read the background material in the manual I have no difficulty in differentiating between two very different takes as indeed the short story is a different story but within more or less similar types of psychological constraints. At the very least though I felt it delivered a few pieces of additional background mostly regarding the chosen characters and how they think and react to AM (plus a thing or two that I didn’t need to know) that I surmise will have little to do with the stories that unfold in the game.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s 14/9 here, when can we start?
I’m just anxious to start it… Smile

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s still 9/13 here, and will be for another 5.5 hours. Not that I intend to stay up until midnight in order to start the game. As I mentioned in other threads, I have a lot on my plate right now. A large kitchen remodel being the biggest morsel. I’m in no hurry to start, nor in a hurry to finish. I haven’t gone though all the prior posts, so I don’t even know who is the first character we will tackle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

rtrooney - 13 September 2013 07:41 PM

It’s still 9/13 here, and will be for another 5.5 hours. Not that I intend to stay up until midnight in order to start the game. As I mentioned in other threads, I have a lot on my plate right now. A large kitchen remodel being the biggest morsel. I’m in no hurry to start, nor in a hurry to finish. I haven’t gone though all the prior posts, so I don’t even know who is the first character we will tackle.

None of us knows yet—we are anxiously awaiting our marching orders!

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 10 September 2013 01:21 PM

I will tell you which character to choose when we reach the appropriate date to officially start the playthrough (14/9). We are still waiting lots of people, you know…

It’s the 14th & getting very late in my time zone Sefir so I won’t have much time now before next weekend!

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Sefir has been missing for 24 hours or so. Hope he’s OK.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

RayB - 14 September 2013 02:44 PM

Sefir has been missing for 24 hours or so. Hope he’s OK.

I hope so too!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Hey everyone, suppose we just choose a character and Sefir can catch up with us.

How about the female character?  She’s the only one without a clear delineation of the “sins” that got her where she is and I’m curious about the yellow.

If you all prefer another character, just yell and we can see if we can come to a consensus.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Let’s get this game started, don’t we?

So, which one of you 5 would like to play my little game?

The first one we will choose is

ELLEN!!!

You have 10 days (until 3:00pm 24/9 GMT) to finish her chapter.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Also some useful info. Perhaps you noticed what I wrote in my original post about keeping the characters in the right state of mind, doing “good/redeeming” actions. All characters begin with a book in their inventory. This book can be read any time by the character and it provides subtle hints as to what your character need to be done. However, since these hints usually remind them of their past, it also hurt them mentally (What? Use save and load? That’s just cheating, isn’t it? Wink )
Also, when you make a right/wrong move, it is viable by a change in the character’s portrait (smiling, agony face, etc)

Dara100 - 14 September 2013 03:56 PM

Hey everyone, suppose we just choose a character and Sefir can catch up with us.

Of course you won’t. And this is the kind of wrong behaviour also…(With the exception of the case you want to lead this playthrough instead. I would happily get out of the way for new leaders).

But you also guessed the first character correctly.
The reason however Ellen is chosen, is because I found her voice acting by far the weakest of all (I also want to hear your opinion about the matter, perhaps when more chapters are played so that there are viable comparisons) and I want to take her out of sight ASAP.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top