• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Update

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream: (Sefir leader), TimovieMan, Iznogood, Kasper F. Nielsen, chrissie, badlemon, RayB, Toefur
Discworld: Timovieman, Kurufinwe, Karmillo, Iznogood, Kasper F. Nielsen, chrissie (optional), Oscar, wilco
Fahrenheit: (Kurufinwe leader), TimovieMan, wilco
Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon: (Sefir leader), Kurufinwe, Iznogood, wilco
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive: (Iznogood leader), Sefir, wilco
Mission Critical: TimovieMan, Karmillo, Kurufinwe, TerminusEst
RAMA: (Zifnab leader), Iznogood, Sefir, Oscar
Inherit the Earth: Karmillo, Kurufinwe, TimovieMan, wilco, rtrooney, TerminusEst, RayB, zifnab
Memoria: (Iznogood leader), diego, Sefir

No change in the last day. IHNMAIMS is still 2 votes ahead of the leaderless Disc and ITE. If there are no more votes in the next 2 days, I will probably call it an end. I do hope though that some more members will participate (Lady K, millenia, diego, etc).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 03 September 2013 05:15 PM

Did I miss something?

Ellison is known for suing each and every author that dares write within the same genre as he does. If so much as two words are alike, he’ll slap them with a copyright suit.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bonsai - 02 September 2013 09:41 PM

I have not seen anywhere on the web where Harlan Ellison’s game is legitimately classified as “abandonware” nor a release from any of the parties involved. The other excuse I hear people complain all the time about is purchasing games from private sellers on Ebay, Amazon etc…...because the money doesn’t supporter the originators of the game.

Well here’s your chance!  Buy a legit copy and support the storyteller at the same time:

Harlan Ellison’s Website

Thank you.

I’m sorry Bonsai but you have got to be kidding here! I don’t agree with ‘abandonware’ either but this is 2013 & that is the worst website I’ve ever seen (apart from maybe legitimate ‘In The Public Domain’ stuff & they are excused!) I wouldn’t trust or touch it with a barge-pole!!! There are no proper links or expanded info for anything & there were only vague instructions for ordering that game.

When I went to buy Obsidian on Ebay there were sellers that were trying to charge silly prices but looking around I got a legitimate copy fairly cheap & the same goes for IHNMAIMS so ******** to supporting anyone involved in the game that can’t be bothered to get a user-friendly professional website together!

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

chrissie - 03 September 2013 07:14 PM

I’m sorry Bonsai but you have got to be kidding here!

No, I’m not.  That’s how he does business.  I also cannot find a single complaint that he has not delivered the product.  I have met several gamers over the years that have bought the game as well as some books from him.  If you got a problem with sending in a check/money order with an order form oh well.  I bet you’ll find a legit copy somewhere within your budget as you did with Obsidian.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bonsai - 03 September 2013 07:45 PM
chrissie - 03 September 2013 07:14 PM

I’m sorry Bonsai but you have got to be kidding here!

No, I’m not.  That’s how he does business.  I also cannot find a single complaint that he has not delivered the product.  I have met several gamers over the years that have bought the game as well as some books from him.  If you got a problem with sending in a check/money order with an order form oh well.  I bet you’ll find a legit copy somewhere within your budget as you did with Obsidian.

I hear you & that’s a good recommendation Bonsai! But it’s not a method that many people are comfortable with these days (including me) & if the man sorted out his website he would sell a lot more!!!

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 03 September 2013 08:25 PM

I hear you & that’s a good recommendation Bonsai! But it’s not a method that many people are comfortable with these days (including me) & if the man sorted out his website he would sell a lot more!!!

But who knows how many he has available to sell? If what Iznogood said is true, and his inventory is a fixed amount of boxed games resulting from a legal settlement, who knows? You can send a check in a day before I do, and get the last game he has. A day later he cashes my check and sends me nothing. Am I going to sue him? Not for $35 I’m not. He takes a credit card and doesn’t deliver, I dispute the charge. This is simply not a way I would do business.

As far as abandonware is concerned..(and I’m not talking about downloading here,)..Nobody has determined whether the game is abandonware or not. It would appear to me that the right to sell copies of the game was part of a legal settlement, but the publisher, it would seem, still held the rights to the game. And seeing as the publisher is no longer in business, the game could be considered “abandoned.”

I would like to know if there is a consensus as to whether this game is abandonware or not. If it’s not, I won’t download it. But I also won’t pay $35 for it.

There’s a lot of bashing going on regarding a very simple question. Is the game legitimate abandonware or not. If you can positively, without doubt, answer that question, all the other issues go away.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

rtrooney - 03 September 2013 08:54 PM

I would like to know if there is a consensus as to whether this game is abandonware or not. If it’s not, I won’t download it. But I also won’t pay $35 for it.

I doubt you would get a straight answer on that, at least outside of a pm since this site basically has a don’t ask don’t tell philosophy regarding Abandonware.

Really it’s just up to your own discretion, I doubt anyone is going to demand proof of purchase from everyone who wants to participate in the playthrough.I hope…

So either Pay crazy bucks for it on ebay or amazon, take a risk and buy it off of internet 0.5, *ahem*“procure it” or leave your mouth under the pillow and hope the scream fairy grants your wish. Grin

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

chrissie - 03 September 2013 08:25 PM

I hear you too and I have always respected your opinions.  Maybe when the old codger passes away, his heirs will turn to GOG, but hey it’s his game and can charge what the market will bear.

UPDATE:  I posted the copywrite question on Harlan’s site.  We’ll see what he has to say…..hopefully.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m guessing MGM owns the rights to I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream since they shared the publishing rights to the game and they’re still in business. However, it was done through their games division which never lasted long, so I’m not sure if they still retain any of the rights of if they sold them off. The games division was started up back in 2012 after having been defunct since 2003, so it might be worth asking them about it.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 03 September 2013 08:54 PM

There’s a lot of bashing going on regarding a very simple question. Is the game legitimate abandonware or not. If you can positively, without doubt, answer that question, all the other issues go away.

It was made by a company that no longer exists, in fact neither the publisher Cyberdreams nor the developers The Dreamers Guild, still exists, it is “out of print” and has been for several years, and it is not clear who if anybody owns the rights. I think that is as close as we will get to solving this.

I can’t remember the last time, if it ever has happened, that there was a consensus on anything on this site, so I seriously doubt such a consensus can be reached Tongue

Regarding MGM then they were the distributor of the game not publisher or co-publisher, so I doubt they hold the copyright.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Well here is Harlan Ellison’s reply to my copyright question:

http://harlanellison.com/heboard/unca.htm

You’ll find it under:  REPLY TO JODI B. Wednesday, September 4 2013 11:36:41

Hope that answers all your questions.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Bonsai - 04 September 2013 03:26 PM

Oh wow! That website is surreal: the Web 1.0 vibe, the dancing hamsters on top, and, amidst the chaos, Harlan’s oh-so-well-written comments. The guy is alive, kicking and, apparently, using the Internet!

Two things: firstly, way to ask a leading question, Bonsai! Grin Secondly and way more importantly, Harlan says

And only recently have TKC and myself, Harlan Ellison, licensed a reissue and update of the product to Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios.

Stephen Kick is the guy who brought System Shock 2 back to life. In light of this, I suggest we do not do IHNMAIMS as a community playthrough at this time and wait for the (surely) upcoming version of IHNMAIMS that should be compatible with newer OS. Or at least news thereof. Or maybe pester Stephen Kick/Night Dive for details. Thoughts?

EDIT: Based on their facebook page, Night Dive are about to make a major announcement tomorrow. For all we know, they just might release an updated digital version of IHNMAIMS as soon as tomorrow!

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Bonsai - 04 September 2013 03:26 PM

Yeesh…Although I’m actually more interest in this part.

And only recently have TKC and myself, Harlan Ellison, licensed a reissue and update of the product to Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios.

Which suggests that it’s coming to Gog soon

edit: whoops I was beaten to it Grin
But yeah I agree about not doing IHNMAIMS until this new release comes out, is it possible for me to retract my vote for it?

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Karmillo - 04 September 2013 03:39 PM

edit: whoops I was beaten to it Grin
But yeah I agree about not doing IHNMAIMS until this new release comes out, is it possible for me to retract my vote for it?

Yes, I would like to do the same at least until Night Dive’s announcement tomorrow. Gosh, I am all of a sudden so excited about this. One possibility that’s been bandied about is that Night Dive might be working on reviving the LA catalog. But that would be too good to be true Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TerminusEst - 04 September 2013 03:37 PM

firstly, way to ask a leading question, Bonsai!

Yep…..glad you liked it! Crazy

Got the copyright issue answered and possibly got an exclusive at the same time Wink

You’re welcome.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top