• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 22 June 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I thought it was time to get started on King’s Quest, and Advie recently suggested this scene to me (I’m sure he’ll explain why in this thread), so there you go: Graham and the beanstalk.

In order to take the screenshot, I had to replay some of the AGDI remake of the game and I was impressed with how good it looks. I had played it when it was originally released, back when they were still called Tierra, and I knew they had released an updated version, but I hadn’t realized how much better it looked. They’ve really come a long way.

I’m not sure it’ll be enough to make me want to play through the game again, though. I feel like I already know it by heart, and, despite its huge historical significance, it’s not a particularly enjoyable game.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Such good memories. I originally played the VGA version in the early 90s before finding the EGA one. Tierra also did a great job with the remakes. KQ2 especially builds on the original story and adds some nice puzzles.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Woow great Quality Kuru.. Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Actually there no explanation why i suggested this scene but maybe only because its the most furious task in KQ1 Grin (i didnt play AGDI remake so i dont know if differs their)

To get the beans after as a reward wasnt easy or i would have reached a dead-end if Graham was rewarded Differently ,and then to imagine what to do with them was something else but since KQ is was full of Fairy Tales ,there was no doubt that you must plant them somewhere, But Where? that is another annoying thing, but eventually you find suitable ground and then comes climbing the Beanstalk in the Original Sierra KQ1 i had to save my Game with each Step that Graham took (literally) , i remember that i saved more than 20 times at least until i reached the walking Clouds…. isnt that so memorable Sarcastic

there is nothing negative about all that when you are talking about King Quest :Quest for Crown ... there is a moment/Scene in every Adventure you remember it with ,and KQ1 (beside the Beanstalk) is FULL of those.

Thanks Kuru for bringing it up

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

What I liked about early Kings Quests is that you could just randomly walk around, searching every tree and bush for something cool. It was like a bridge between treasure-hunting IFs and story-driven adventures. Climbing trees and beanstalks, going down wells, swimming and diving sometimes… It felt like you have a freedom to do everything you want. I really miss that in modern (and not so modern) ags.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I have to commend AGD on the good job they did getting rid of the dead ends without making the game a completely linear experience. I agree with Arial, the open world-ness with solving different puzzles in whatever order really improves immersion and makes the experience of adventuring richer.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thejobloshow - 22 June 2012 09:13 PM

I agree with Arial, the open world-ness with solving different puzzles in whatever order really improves immersion and makes the experience of adventuring richer.

me too, i guess that we miss all in the modern (new) Adventures , it would be generous if the Game let you roam around in 5-6 Screens of Puzzles until you can progress or move into a new Area.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Arial Type - 22 June 2012 04:34 PM

What I liked about early Kings Quests is that you could just randomly walk around, searching every tree and bush for something cool. It was like a bridge between treasure-hunting IFs and story-driven adventures. Climbing trees and beanstalks, going down wells, swimming and diving sometimes… It felt like you have a freedom to do everything you want. I really miss that in modern (and not so modern) ags.

Exactly. I loved this too. Also, some puzzles have multiple solutions. Eg: you can throw water on the underground dragon or use a dagger. You can get to the clouds from the beanstalk, or through the caves.  I dont know why a lot of people dont like KQ1, I always find it fun. Yes, the story is thin, but the game itself is enjoyable.

Modern adventures seem to be more like escape the room puzzles. You have access to a few rooms. Solve all the puzzles there, and you go to the next section with a few more rooms. Solve those puzzles, and you go to the next section with a few more rooms…

I really enjoy games that allow you to explore freely.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top