• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventures Similarities,Clones & Spin/Rip(offs) ..

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

just Finished The Dark Eye and i was wondering all the time i am playing it ,how does it bring back the Legendary King’s Quest Mode and Atmosphere on me (somehow)... i have to admit (and so that no one mixes the Topic title with that previous statement) its an original game by all matters .......though i guess its something that could have been brought to us By Roberta Williams herself , anyways it was the just the reason to flash this idea into my head and to start this Thread.

Many games in the history of Adventuring had been made with a kind of an intended developing to tickle with spectators whom desire over a certain previous Theme/Game/Tiltle that had already Succeeded (previously)...

Take for example Gemini Rue and Alternativa they have that similarity to Blade Runner.

Les Manley:Search for the King was meant to be a clone for Larry’s Games.

also Captain Morgane was defiantly a ripoff for So Blonde.

and many others ......

does anyone agree with that, and if so,
1-are there other many (mentionable) Games/Themes that carry on the same concept .

2- could it be considered unhealthy/Cliched and boring (somehow) to take a theme that succeed and press on it.
bearing in mind that this is something very known/Common in Hollywood, like those movies with the Supernatural power heroes(s) , or the others with The end of the world theme…  and so on and on,

at last; if we eventually take in mind that this is a fact!, then the most important question would be; could this bring out a better themed product or will it always be the 1st original Idea/theme to take all the credits and stays on top of any similarity .

P.S:  i am not bringing up Questions; mainly as much as bringing up the issue itself.. that would be handled in many different point of views or personal’s judgement.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Personally I think “ripping off” is perfectly fine if you are paying homage doing it. Lending good ideas can be a good idea. I guess it sucks a bit if people lend from great stuff and manage to make their own kinda crappy, but I appreciate the process of making and trying anyway. I’m not one of those people who think it’s better if for example some sequels were never made.

I think it is possible to make a better product and great concepts should be used more often, just not overused.

Will get back to this thread later and think of examples.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 22 June 2012 10:47 AM

Take for example Gemini Rue and Alternativa they have that similarity to Blade Runner.

Les Manley:Search for the King was meant to be a clone for Larry’s Games.

also Captain Morgane was defiantly a ripoff for So Blonde.

and many others ......

In the case of Captain Morgane - she was actually a prominet character in So Blonde, both games as far as I can remember were produced by WizarBox so I would describe the game as a spinoff rather than a ripoff! Interesting questions Advie - I’m having a think! Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I got the impression Missing on Lost Island was an obvious rip-off of Monkey Island, and a rather poor one.

Flight of the Amazon Queen - I wouldn’t say it rips off anything although I never really liked the game that much, but it has similarities to many other adventure games which makes it seem almost like a tribute. This one fits into this type:

Advie - 22 June 2012 10:47 AM

2- could it be considered unhealthy/Cliched and boring (somehow) to take a theme that succeed and press on it.

Myst rip-offs - Schizm, Aura, Celtica, Rhem etc. This category doesn’t bother me at all and there can never be enough Myst clones Heart Eyes

Les Manley - LSL?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 22 June 2012 01:11 PM

Les Manley - LSL?

I know what you are thinking , surly Manley was a reporter after meeting Elvis and without Larry’s Sexual worshiping desires, but if you look at them both at the Time Larry 2 and 3 were out you would connect, and that Search for the king suggests that Les charcter is a clone to Larry’s ..... or at least that how i remember it!

plus that Larry had a lot of Transformations into his life/The-series from being miserable to pathetic (for instance) ... LOL

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jolly Rover as a ripoff of Monkey Island?
There are certainly many similarities, the main difference beeing dogs Smile

There is a difference between ripoffs, being inspired by other games, and paying tribute to a game.

I don’t mind games that are inspired by other games, in fact i think it is a good thing. If something has proven to work, why not repeat the success? You don’t have to invent the genre from scratch everytime you make a new game.

Nor do i mind paying tribute to other games, like Book of Unwritten Tales, that had references to many games, movies etc.

Outright ripoffs are however another thing, here the developers are just trying to cach in on someone else’s success.

chrissie - 22 June 2012 12:26 PM

In the case of Captain Morgane - she was actually a prominet character in So Blonde, both games as far as I can remember were produced by WizarBox so I would describe the game as a spinoff rather than a ripoff!

True! A spinoff not a ripoff

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 23 June 2012 02:51 AM
chrissie - 22 June 2012 12:26 PM

In the case of Captain Morgane - she was actually a prominet character in So Blonde, both games as far as I can remember were produced by WizarBox so I would describe the game as a spinoff rather than a ripoff!

True! A spinoff not a ripoff

Thanks for the correction

Excuse my Wrong definitions which is due to my limited awareness to (English’s) the some exact or correct terms.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, any game that takes place in the ‘30s or ‘40s, that has Nazi villains and some occult element to them, will ALWAYS feel like a rip-off of Indiana Jones.
That’s not necessarily a bad thing: Indiana Jones is a strong brand, especially in adventure gaming. Heck, Indiana Jones is THE definition of “adventure”, imo.

Games like Flight of the Amazon Queen and Lost Horizon are very Indiana Jones-like. And they’re great games, imo. So it CAN work.

Besides, it’s often hard if not impossible to avoid “borrowing” from known stories. Imagine making a fantasy game and having to avoid everything that could reference Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Disney fairy tales, Narnia, Dungeons and Dragons, King’s Quest, Simon the Sorcerer, Book of Unwritten Tales, The Whispered World, etc.
You’d have to give up before you even start.

You can’t always be entirely unique in design and concept, so taking things from great games (or movies) and trying to make them your own isn’t always bad. More often than not it’s meant as an homage, not as a rip-off.

The same principles still apply, no matter how much was “ripped off” or “borrowed” elsewhere: if the story and characters are well written and the puzzles are well designed, chances are you’ll have a good game.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan

“in adventure gaming. Heck, Indiana Jones is THE definition of “adventure”, imo”

the defintaion of adventures will always be something that can be really expanded , if we take Indiana Jones and his Adventure from City to another searching for holy Grail or trying to stop the Nazis , as a definition ,then we should exclude many other games out of the genre .
i myself always happy to answer my friends (annoyingly) who don’t understand the games (Adventures) i play by ” its all about interacting with subjects and People , exploring Room/areas and finding your way through a lot of obstacles here and there by taking that,using this and talking to some people..and you don’t need to worry about dying and restart the game to a point because Simply there is a Saving Progress option always included..” .... yeah its a very tiring long Definition which i can also add to it sometimes.
but i can never find 2 -3 word that would fairly define the Adventure Games.

TimovieMan

“Imagine making a fantasy game and having to avoid everything that could reference Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Disney fairy tales, Narnia, Dungeons and Dragons, King’s Quest, Simon the Sorcerer, Book of Unwritten Tales, The Whispered World, etc.
You’d have to give up before you even start”

i agree to this part ,or let me say it is a fact whether i agreed or not will never make any difference .
it is like many examples;
if the story has replicants or memory implants then it is a Blade Runner.
if it has trolls,dwarfs and Strange Creatures its then the Lord of the rings or Kings Quest,
if it has, a future theme with Space and Galaxies then its of Star wars or Perry Rhodan,
if you got pirates and Fantasy creatures its a Monkey Island , and so on and on…etc.

there are things need to be repeated or rather good to , i like Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, i liked Gemini Rue and i liked the The Dark Eye ....
maybe the only really annoying and the unforgiving Rip-Off would be for the Charcter ,the Hero himself ... i am sure it happened but i can not remember (Really) in which Game was that! ..

TimovieMan

“You can’t always be entirely unique in design and concept”

yes not always ,but we can hold our breaths and expect/wait for fully original stories from time to time ; Edna.and.Harvey had it, it was not a shawshank redemption prison break neither it was the a Sanitarium memory loss Theme, it is cartoony psychological game (ahem!.. did i say that , how odd)

any ways thanks TimovieMan, you really ticked my mind

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top