• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 29 August 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

The Residents: Freak Show (1994) is basically the rough draft for Bad Day on the Midway. It has the same topic and the same basic presentation, although it is less game-like than the latter in that you cannot die, nor is there an endgame of any other type.

It is also more music oriented than the latter in that it actually contains videos of The Residents and information about the band. Considering how bizarre the band is, I found it rather interesting even though the music isn’t really to my taste. The videos, and the music as well, are rather avant-garde affairs, at times comprised of quite bizarre takes on other famous songs.

The game has a documentary section on real life circus freaks, as well as several vignettes on fictional freaks that they created for the game which are triggered through exploration of the game world which is, of course, a freak show. Most of the interesting stuff happens when you sneak backstage and investigate the freaks’ trailers.

The above comic book scene is an excerpt from a section about a fictional freak named Harry the Head, a man born without any body at all. If you are going to play Bad Day on the Midway, then you should pick this up and play it as well. It’s a great companion piece to it.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Played it last month and enjoyed it a lot. As a fan of The Residents, its audiovisualy charming little adventure for me.

But I think you can actully “die” in this game (when you changing your personalities and find tax collector or a few others, like when somebody stab you in dark place). And there are also endgame (if you can consider it as a endgame) when you leave the place.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Drolin - 29 August 2013 04:47 AM

Played it last month and enjoyed it a lot. As a fan of The Residents, its audiovisualy charming little adventure for me.

But I think you can actully “die” in this game (when you changing your personalities and find tax collector or a few others, like when somebody stab you in dark place). And there are also endgame (if you can consider it as a endgame) when you leave the place.

The game you are describing is Bad Day on the Midway, not Freak Show. The latter came out a year earlier and is as I describe above.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top