• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Simon the Sorcerer: 20th Anniversary Edition just released on Android!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

lirbar - 27 August 2013 08:33 AM

Second, I guess it’s a taste discussion

No, it’s really not. When you feed MT-32 midi tracks directly to a GM device, you get the instruments all wrong, since the instrument numbers are different. And that of course completely destroys the piece.

Case in point: the dwarven mines. Here’s the original MT-32 score. (Actually, it’s a quick recording using Munt because I didn’t have my MT-32 when I made it; the real thing sounds better/richer, but that’ll be good enough to make my point) Note how the instruments evoke the dwarves chipping away at the crystalline walls of the mine. Woodcock’s “enhanced” version, however, is a disgusting, random mishmash of fake strings, without even any attempt at finding a proper balance between the (incorrect) instruments.

I really don’t think it’s a matter of taste there, unless being deaf and a moron qualifies as “taste”.

Anyway, I could come up with many more examples, but I don’t want to derail the thread. It just bugs me whenever I see that talentless hack’s (not my words) work getting any sort of praise or publicity. It’s very much undeserved.

Still, good luck with your port. Despite that soundtrack problem, I’m always glad to see adventure games make their way to touch devices.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 27 August 2013 09:15 AM

I really don’t think it’s a matter of taste there, unless being deaf and a moron qualifies as “taste”.

Gasp WOW Gasp

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Kurufinwe’s words may seem harsh, but he is quite correct.

I request that MojoTouch reconsider their use of James Woodcock’s utterly embarrassing “enhanced” score. I’m sure Mr. Woodcock is a well-intentioned fan, but he clearly did not reference and probably had never heard the original Roland MT-32 score (which was the ideal target device that Adam Gilmore of Media Sorcery originally composed for).

The entire QuestStudios thread that Kurufinwe cited is worth reading*, but note in particular this post which makes it clear that Mr. Woodcock was working from some General MIDI conversion, not the original Roland MT-32 score, and this is one of the reasons he makes such ignorant choices about the orchestration.

Whether we call this a “matter of taste” or not, it is clearly influenced by a lack of education.

Also, Sir^Knigget or lirbar, you have both mentioned that the original MIDI score is an option. I assume this is a digital recording from a MIDI device. Can you specify what device it was recorded from?

* Full disclosure: I am an Administrator on the QuestStudios forums.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Uh, that Woodcock version of that theme is horrendous.  Absolutely destroys the integrity of the original piece. God, that string arrangement is just effing awful.  Seriously. This makes me want to punch puppies and kittens.

Bt

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-08-01

PM

hello lirbar.

you said that you got the rights from inherit the earth? i thought the rights belong to wyrmkeep entertainment, they announce a month ago that they were working in a new kickstarter to be released in months(they had one and failed).

i don’t know if it was a joke or not, but saying that you didn’t do this with a paycheck from kickstarter is really mean and offensive for everyone who use the platform to finance projects. like i said, i don’t know you, I just felt it that way.

speaking about games, would you like to do new games based on the properties you got?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Some time ago there was an actual KS project that aimed to bring Flight of the Amazon Queen on touch screen devices. I did question the project back then, as FOTAMQ has been freely available for ages from ScummVM site and it does work pretty well as it is on touchscreen.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

For what it’s worth, people can also buy Simon the Sorceror from GOG and then not only will they have a copy for PC or Mac, but I imagine they can also use the ScummVM for Android app, which is free, to run it on their phone or tablet.

Since I have an iPhone and no Android device I have not confirmed this, but since there’s instructions here that mentions GOG I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible.

GOG regularly sells games for 50% off or even cheaper, so it shouldn’t be hard to get the game for $2.99 or less.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

Caliburn - 27 August 2013 12:59 PM

For what it’s worth, people can also buy Simon the Sorceror from GOG and then not only will they have a copy for PC or Mac, but I imagine they can also use the ScummVM for Android app to run it on their phone or tablet.

Since I have an iPhone and no Android device I have not confirmed this, but since there’s instructions here that mentions GOG I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible.

GOG regularly sells games for 50% off or even cheaper, so it shouldn’t be hard to get the game for $2.99 or less.

I played the game (as well as the second one for that matter) on my Android smartphone with ScummVM and its run smoothly and without any problems (although my copy wasn’t from GOG but I don’t think there is a difference).

There is ScummVM port for iPhone, isn’t it?

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Ingsoc - 27 August 2013 01:29 PM

There is ScummVM port for iPhone, isn’t it?

Yes, there is indeed, but you need to jailbreak your iPhone to install it. Apple makes very restrictive platforms, unlike the more open Android platform.

Thanks, Ingsoc, for adding your experience running Simon the Sorceror with the Android version of ScummVM. I agree that the GOG version of Simon should also work with ScummVM for Android just as your version did, since 1) the ScummVM instructions imply that it works and 2) the GOG version already uses ScummVM for the PC anyway so it’s just a matter of switching interpreters. The only reason I opted not to give 100% confirmation of this is because I haven’t personally done it since I don’t own an Android device, but I would be shocked if it doesn’t work.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2005-07-23

PM

Is this an officially backed release? I can’t believe Adventure Soft / Simon Woodroffe would let this out… though I appreciate people making an effort, it seems a bit slapdash, with a cheap upscaling filter and that awful soundtrack. I got excited when I saw the thread title, expecting a proper revamp in the style of the MI special editions.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Hi All, wanted to let everyone know that the latest update have (among several other improvements) four Music options for user selection: Original music in MT-32 (the default on capable devices), General Midi and Adlib or the new stereo recording.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mojotouch.simon

The sequel, Simon the Sorcerer 2: 20th Anniversary Edition will be release in the upcoming weeks!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top