• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Henk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kid-friendly recommendations

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

My 7 year old daughter loves to play adventure games with me. This started about 6 months ago when we got a new Mac.

She likes to take over sections and do the puzzles - her memory is so much better than mine.

So far we have played Broken Sword (heavily edited), Journey Down, Deponia 1 and 2, Night of the Rabbit, Monkey Island, Sam and Max.

She found Book of Unwritten Tales too frightening.

We are eagerly awaiting Goodbye Deponia.

Any recommendations?

JB

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Which Monkey Islands have you actually played? Tales or some of the older ones as well? If you can get your hands on it I’d heavily recommend Curse of Monkey Island, as the cartoony graphics and humor would certainly appeal to a kid.

I’d also recommend the original two Simon the Sorceror games if you’re not against pixel-graphics, as they’re very comical and great for kids.

Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is also a lot of fun and has nice cartoony graphics.

Then there’s King’s Quest VII, which is very kid-friendly, has slightly dated cartoony graphics and actually a female protagonist, so this might appeal to your daughter.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hi, Jim Bob, your daughter sounds awesome! Smile

Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths is probably a game your daughter (and you) would like. It’s a colorful Lucasarts style adventure game where you search for your missing pet. It should be very children-friendly, with no scary scenes, though you might need to help her along with some of the puzzles Wink

Tony Tough.

Sierra made a couple of really good adventure games for children in the 90’s, called Ecoquest 1&2. There’s no voice acting in those, but if that’s not an issue, I’d recommend checking them out.

Ecoquest II.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

when my daughter was around 7 or 8 we played Kings Quest 7 and Simon the Sorcerer 1. She loved both of those games; and I enjoyed them even more playing them with her. We would talk all the time about what we needed to do and where we should go. it was a very pleasant experience and one that I wish I could do all over again!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s not out yet, but this would be perfect for you and your daughter (or looks that way from the demo and trailer)

http://geetagames.com/

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Jim Bob - 25 August 2013 04:07 PM

My 7 year old daughter loves to play adventure games with me - any recommendations?

Just don’t do what I did: when my daughter was nine (8 and a half, to be precise) I played The Dark Eye and she got curious about what I was doing and she watched the gameplay. The result? She’s still afraid of that strange whispering often heard in the game.

Don’t play The Dark Eye with your daughter (or any other child for that matter).

P.S. She loved the Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle, Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, Grim Fandango, Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Longest Journey (made me play it thrice), U.F.O.s (Gnap) and we both have fond memories of Duckman: The Legend of the Fall which we finished in one day .

A word of advice: youngsters are much more clever than us old folks, so be prepared for your daughter to spoil you some fun/get on your nerves by getting the puzzles in a jiffy (like my daughter still does). She’s much older now and last year we played some Carol Reed games together and she beat me almost every time by getting the solution or by observing stuff (inventory items) to pick before I did .

I almost forgot: The Whispered World! I played it in a playthrough, she saw what I did and from then on I was always in front of the others because she was anxious to go on and wouldn’t stop playing.
Did I say she got most of the puzzles before I did?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

zobraks - 25 August 2013 05:29 PM

...and we both have fond memories of Duckman: The Legend of the Fall which we finished in one day.

Yes! Your daughter will love Duckman Smile And there’s lot’s of innuendo and jokes in there that only you will be able to understand, so it’s a perfect game for a grown up to play with a child. You’ll both love it! Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There are quite a few of the newer Nancy Drew games out for the Mac.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

When my sister was 7 she couldn’t stop playing Fatty Bear’s Birthday Surprise. Probably all the humongous entertainment titles would’ve won the same level of admiration. Then again, if your daughter solves the puzzles in Sam & Max, it’s likely that puzzles like “let’s decorate a birthday cake” might be too easy for her.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zobraks - 25 August 2013 05:29 PM

Don’t play The Dark Eye with your daughter (or any other child for that matter).

Or take it one step further and play Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and scar her for life! Grin

On a more serious note: most have already been recommended, but most of the LucasArts games are a safe bet (such as Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island games or Grim Fandango) as well as similar games like Flight of the Amazon Queen, the Simon the Sorcerer games (especially the first two), etc.

And I agree with zobraks: don’t underestimate the kids…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Fantastic - we are overwhelmed by the response.

Just played the Tales Series.

We are going to go for Simon the Sorcerer as it is pretty to easy to get - only have iMac and haven’t installed windows yet.

Playing through Emerald City Confidential at present - she likes it a lot.

Cheers

JB

PS. Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

Try the Gobliiins series, hardly any dialog and it has humor that I think young kids could relate to.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I never thought I’d find myself recommending King’s Quest 7, but yeah, for a 7-year old girl, it should be at least tolerable.  Wink

King’s Quest 6, for that matter, is a pretty classic fairy tale love story, and would be a good game to play through with her.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

The strong bad game done by telltale might be worth checking out, the homestar universe is pretty much a parody of kids shows so there shouldn’t really be anything too inappropriate.

Maybe check out Toonstruck, it’s pretty cartoon but then again the whole “evil cartoon” part of it might be a bit too dark.

I havent played either of these two games myself but there was an adventure game based on the old Ace Ventura cartoon and a game called Idiot invaders that was based on the cartoon Space Goofs that might be worth checking out too.

No idea on how good the Ace Ventura game is, I just remember playing the demo for it as a kind and liking it. Idiot Invaders on the other hand seems to have got quite a few good reviews(Including the review on this site! http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/15624)

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Karmillo - 26 August 2013 06:10 PM

The strong bad game done by telltale might be worth checking out, the homestar universe is pretty much a parody of kids shows so there shouldn’t really be anything too inappropriate.

Careful here. If she found Book of Unwritten Tales scary, she would be terrified by this. It’s rated PG but the main character is a boxer guy with a tough, mean voice wearing a scary mask and much of the game is going around insulting and beating up other characters. I also doubt someone that young would get most of the jokes, I know I didn’t.

The Wallace & Gromit game would be a better choice, if you ask me.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Zifnab - 26 August 2013 07:32 PM

Careful here. If she found Book of Unwritten Tales scary, she would be terrified by this. It’s rated PG but the main character is a boxer guy with a tough, mean voice wearing a scary mask and much of the game is going around insulting and beating up other characters. I also doubt someone that young would get most of the jokes, I know I didn’t.

The Wallace & Gromit game would be a better choice, if you ask me.

Ok yeah I didn’t know what Book of Unwritten Tales actually was, looking it up I guess it’s more of a “scared of creepy looking characters” thing than a scared of a dark tone thing.

In which case definitely avoid Toonstruck, the dark toon area is filled with creepy looking characters.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top