• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG’s Rock Community

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ronnie James Dio then we have to be something that was competing
with somethings we didnt like

That is how MTV Killed Rock/Metal Music .. i Love Coverdale Hell, I Love him More than Ozzy or Dio out, but he might also had mentioned why Slip of the Tongue the great album for whitesnake didn’t succeed

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 09 June 2013 08:56 AM

That is how MTV Killed Rock/Metal Music ..

You can’t kill the metal…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

this sounds like you can not kill adventure games, (exactly maybe), i think (always) that Rock and AGs had shared the same fate and even the time and period booming togethr,

but we just can not say if there is one good band/song or   developer/game that its alive , some living thing just exits not more ...
then i do not wanna sound so negative ,yea rock/Metal still has like some shining stars at those darkest nights.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have watched most of this long documentary about the history of Metal on VH1.  It contains many of the artists you all have been discussing.  It is very informative and not just a bunch of videos strung together.  Check it out.  I enjoyed it:

Metal Evolution

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Advie - 08 June 2013 08:53 PM

When Extreme were releasing their Greatest album ... Kurt Cobain/Alternative with the help of MTV were destructing and Killing Rock Music

I would respectfully but strongly disagree.  Rock Music tends to go through alternating binge and purge periods wherein production values, technical musicianship, and the seriousness with which the art form takes itself becomes bloated and then a newer, more back-to-basics form emerges that recaptures the essential simple, direct, and irreverent spirit of Rock & Roll.  The bloated excesses of the early 1970s in the form of Progressive and Glam Rock gave way in the late 1970s to the stripped-down simplicities of Punk and New Wave.  The Spandex-clad hormonal superficiality of the 1980s Hair Bands gave way to the moody introspection and disaffected angst of Alternative and Grunge.  Kurt Cobain/Alternative didn’t kill Rock Music, they revitalized it by putting it back in the hands of the masses. 

However, a case could be made that Pearl Jam might have contributed to the death of MTV as a relevant popular music venue by having the colossal arrogance to continue selling albums while not releasing videos, but the worst of MTV’s wounds were clearly and obviously self-inflicted.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Well Said Sage,even perfect conclusion in small words for the history of Rock , i guess i must admit i always have a problem with two things and i can not change, the technical analysis and we know the late 70’s and early 80’s were at the best, and the Nostalgia, those tunes which ride me the time machine and take me back to some great moments .

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

So I was poking around YouTube tonight and came across this:
Pearl Jam’s “Black” covered by Matt Fisher of Whiskeyfish-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv3Ekfy_h20

I’ve got to say I think Mr. Fisher did a pretty good job of making the song his own without butchering it unnecessarily.

I also came across this cover of the same song:

Pearl Jam’s “Black” covered by Matheus Ocon-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXRYQaeHYmc

While Mr. Ocon might not have the vocal proficiency of Mr. Fisher, I absolutely LOVE the amount of emotional investment that he puts into his performance.  In watching the video, one gets the impression that he really is hurt and angry over an ended relationship and that he is truly singing from the heart.  He even seems to get a little bit verklempt right at the end.

Edited to add: I’ve been trying to think who Mr. Ocon reminded me of since last night, and in watching the video just now it hit me- John Belushi!  Not only does Mr. Ocon bear a strong physical resemblance to Mr. Belushi during the early years of Saturday Night Live, he also sings with the same reckless, brutal, Joe Cocker-influenced abandon that Mr. Belushi did.  If they ever make a movie about John Belushi’s life (and someone should, as it was both brilliant and tragic), Matheus Ocon should be on the short list of people to portray Mr. Belushi.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Sage - 31 July 2013 12:03 AM

...If they ever make a movie about John Belushi’s life…

Well, they sort of did, when they made the movie adaptation of Bob Woodward’s “Wired: The Short Life and Fast Times of John Belushi”. It just wasn’t very honest. Sensationalistic comes to mind, but then, John was pretty sensational, in most senses of the word.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Lee in Limbo - 05 August 2013 11:53 AM
Sage - 31 July 2013 12:03 AM

...If they ever make a movie about John Belushi’s life…

Well, they sort of did, when they made the movie adaptation of Bob Woodward’s “Wired: The Short Life and Fast Times of John Belushi”. It just wasn’t very honest. Sensationalistic comes to mind, but then, John was pretty sensational, in most senses of the word.

Oh wow… I had completely forgotten about that.  “Sensationalistic” doesn’t even begin to cover the problems that turkey of a film had. 

Okay, I’ll amend my earlier statement to “If they ever make a competent movie about John Belushi’s life that isn’t so poorly written and directed that it would make the Lifetime Network ashamed to show it...

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Been listening to the new Nick Cave album “Push the Sky Away”, and all I can say is that Nick did it again.
I didn’t really know what to expect after his Grinderman side-project (actually, I NEVER know what to expect with him), but the “bat sound” struck again. This time it’s a bit more low-key and soothing yet hauntingly moody. I’m really starting to think that the man can’t make anything that’s average or below-average.

No matter what gets released in the coming months, Jubilee Street is the best song of the year, period.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Musicians Institute (MIT) CA.
5 kinds of guitar players everyone hates

http://diy-musician.com/5-kinds-of-guitar-players-everyone-hates/

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The truth nothin but the truth

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mode!

WASP - Heaven’s Hung In Black

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Advie - 17 August 2013 06:59 AM

Mode!

WASP - Heaven’s Hung In Black

Quite interesting.  Although I’ve heard of WASP the band before, that may very well be the first time I’ve actually heard any of their music.  Not bad at all.

One good turn deserves another, so in a somewhat similar vein…

Seether- Remedy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLILV18ut8

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sage - 18 August 2013 01:15 AM

Quite interesting.  Although I’ve heard of WASP the band before, that may very well be the first time I’ve actually heard any of their music.  Not bad at all.

My thoughts exactly. Knew the name, didn’t know the music. I like what I heard.

Seether- Remedy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLILV18ut8

And the same here.

My kind of music! Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top