• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Get-together 2013 - Germany

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Glad you all had a great time, and can’t wait to see more pics! This first one was great already Smile

Oh my, but if I ever get to come to one of these, I will have to be the one taking all the pictures - so that I won’t end up in any of them! For the benefit of not only myself, but everyone else, too. So that I won’t ruin all the pictures, because you have no idea how badly I can appear in photos…

Just about the only picture worse than just about any of mine, that I’ve seen, was this one of my brother where he (quite literally) appeared possessed by a demon Grin But that’s an exception that proves the rule because it was so bad and so weird that it became almost cool and certainly very comical Tongue You wouldn’t believe it until you saw it. I think I need to find it, it was a proper old physical photograph that my grandmother had…

And it’s not just my imagination that I don’t photograph well at all - for example my brother can vouch for that (thank god, because it would be awful if I looked like I do in pictures).

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

You know you are making me very curious now, don’t you? Wink
Anyway, it would be great if you can be there next time. I am getting more and more the impression the next meet should be somewhere up north.

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Rough album. Essentially a dump of all the photos I took, excluding duplicates and a couple of oddities. Captioned album to follow when I have time.

There are a number of Panorama shots, which is a feature of my phone camera that allows me to take wide pictures by slowly sweeping it across. These were not all successful, as squashed head Luna and detached arm tsa will illustrate.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8op1jati1ha9c16/3qxO-Wf3PJ

Main points in order

Travel from home to meet (Home station early. Stop-over in Brussels including Cathedral, various German trains)
Night before meet (Balcony and various dark photos)
Meeting up (Light photos again, disappointment at age limit on play park)
Lunch
Dragon Museum
Burg
Felsenmeer (Steep slope of tumbled rocks, climbed by intrepid adventurers)
Travelling home (overnight stop in Frankfurt. Pak Choi is challenge restaurant Luna)

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You have some good pics there, Step.  The dragon museum looks neat as does the playground.  However, you should warn people who are trying to cut down on calories.  Those desserts sent me right to the fridge for ice cream.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Luna Sevithiainen - 13 August 2013 02:22 PM

You know you are making me very curious now, don’t you? Wink
Anyway, it would be great if you can be there next time. I am getting more and more the impression the next meet should be somewhere up north.

I know, it’s all my clever plan!

And somewhere north might work for me, but of course we’ll have to see when the time comes Tongue I just hope you’ll be coming! Or my plan will all go to waste Wink

And Step, great pictures! Going through them now. So far, I especially love this one:

Seems like a beautiful place you visited Smile

(Edit): A “lol” at this one:

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Saturday, August 10th 2013:
Since Mrs. MovieMan couldn’t join the Get-Together (she had to work), and I didn’t want to leave her home alone for an entire weekend, I decided to simply drive up for the meeting in the morning, and drive back that same day.
Unfortunately, Lautertal is about a 5-hour drive away for me, so that meant I had to get up at 5am. For some people that’s early. For me that’s INSANELY early. Crazy

When I left the house, my GPS immediately informed me that I was going to be late (and after stopping for gas that I was going to be VERY late) to the meeting. But a few hours and several broken speed limits later, I arrived at the Felsenmeer parking lot with near-perfect timing - about one minute after tsa, Luna, Elvira, Step and Mrs. Urhan had arrived.

Jazhara then informed us by text that she was going to be a bit late herself, so we just hung around near the Felsenmeer Information building.

tsa and Elvira

the wonderful nametags tsa designed

Stepurhan on the lookout for Jazhara

When Jazhara, Johannes and Hanne arrived, we went to Lindenfels to grab a bite to eat, to visit the castle and to visit the dragon museum. Dragons are a really big thing in Lindenfels, because the Odenwald is the location where, in the legend of the Nibelungen, the dragon slayer Siegfried was murdered by Hagen.

a house decorated with dragons

Johannes, Jazhara, tsa (in the wheelchair), Luna and Elvira as we got out of the van

Hanne, tsa and Johannes on the way to the castle

the castle as seen from street - the dragon museum was also down the street on the left

Lindenfels city hall - which was on the right of the previous photo

the garden below the castle - it had a really nice view as well

The original plan was to go to the dragon museum first, but that only opened in the afternoon, so we decided to have lunch first instead. Johannes went up to the castle to see if they had a restaurant there (they didn’t), so like in a lot of adventures: some backtracking was necessary.

There was a café/restaurant back at the base of the road (about 200m from where we were - the backtracking wasn’t overly bad). We had lunch there, and Stepurhan showed that he could probably challenge the world record holder (coincidentally a Belgian TV presenter) for fastest time to eat a pizza. Needless to say, I (with my own - now shattered - reputation of being a fast eater) was impressed… Smile

After lunch, we went back to the dragon museum (which had opened by then). I didn’t take any pictures there, but it goes without saying that there were plenty of dragons: city crests with dragons on them, dragon statuettes from around the world, different portrayals of dragons depending on culture as well as some musings on how dragons became extinct (or how they would have evolved if they still existed), and of course quite a few Nibelungen references. There was also a funny 4000-piece jigsaw puzzle of a map of Europe which featured dragons playing around with the landmarks. It needs to be seen to be fully enjoyed. Cool

After getting a healthy dose of dragons, we decided to storm go up to the castle. Because of the steep slope towards it, tsa and Mrs. Urhan stayed in the garden.

Getting up to the castle proved harder than we thought, because of the infamous goat puzzle.

The castle had an amazing view of the area, and we could even look down to the garden where we had left tsa and Mrs. Urhan.

Tsa’s wheelchair in the garden

Mrs. Urhan and tsa had learned the importance of not being seen.

Luna, Elvira, Jazhara, Stepurhan, Johannes and Hanne inspecting the woodwork just below us

After admiring the view from the castle, we went back down and got some ice cream from the ice cream parlour near the dragon museum. While enjoying our ice cream (and fighting off wasps), we had some more views to enjoy.

the church and tower right next to the castle and dragon museum the ice cream parlour

Suffice it to say that the weather was wonderful throughout the day. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

When the cold sugary treat was consumed and our energy levels restored, we went back to the Felsenmeer for the ‘main event’ of the day: the climbing of the Felsenmeer itself, a slope of about half a mile, consisting of nothing but rocks and boulders.
Naturally, Hanne, tsa and Mrs. Urhan sat this out. And I can’t blame them - I’m so out of shape that I seriously underestimated the climb. But making it to the top was all the more rewarding, then.
Really, nothing says “you’re out of shape” better than climbing an entire slope of rocks. Innocent

Johannes, Stepurhan, Jazhara, Luna and Elvira at the start of the climb

one of the many views during the climb - one of these rocks is called ‘Jane’ Smile

After about an hour and a half of climbing (the majority of which I spent out of breath), we reached the top and were rewarded not only with firm ground but also with the African restaurant where Jazhara had made reservations. We were right on time, too, about 10 minutes before the hour at which the reservation was made.

Ada’s Buka, the wonderful restaurant

Jazhara had picked the perfect restaurant, because not only was the food exotic and delicious (all three courses), but it was also relatively cheap. Plus, how often do you eat at an African restaurant?

After having eaten, there was yet another highlight of the day: Stepurhan’s impromptu poetry session (which was followed by one of last year’s AG Get-together in-jokes).

Mrs. Urhan and Jazhara enjoying the poem by an expressive Stepurhan

Stepurhan showing the rest of us that “it’s really simple”

Sadly, after all that it was time to get back to the car (or for the others: the hotel). We said our goodbyes, and I prepared for the long trip back…

A big thank you to Jazhara for putting this together, and to Hanne for driving us around in the van, and to all the others for making this a day to never forget!
I met some wonderful people (and they got to see/hear first-hand just how loud I can be when talking enthousiastically).
I really had a blast Saturday… Wink

Side remark:
@ Jazhara: is it possible that you guys overtook me on the highway? Or are there many other green vans like that in the area? Tongue
I just thought it was weird that I had reached the highway before you did…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Thank you too, Timsie! Very entertaining posts - and it was great to get a little itinerary (with great pictures), too Smile

Love all the references and little jokes Tongue

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2006-05-09

PM

omg I love all the pictures Heart Eyes I haven’t seen them all and I can’t wait to see more ...... are there more ?  Tongue

Lord make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

So jealous.

Looked like a great day, at least it didn’t drag-on…see what I did there.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Thanks for the pics TimovieMan! It sure looks like a great day! I would have loved to climb those rocks! Smile

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

A bit late, but I was on vacation. I have made a set on Flickr, see http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHzsA7p

But for the lazy ones, a few highlights:

Steve reciting his poem about Humpty Dumpty:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsaszymborska/9539970752/in/set-72157635121324667

Waiting for food makes you look weird. Man were we hungry after the long trip.

Finally we had food and everyone was smiling again:

Our first view of the Felsenmeer:

Here be dragons:

More food!

The waitress in the restaurant was very interesting. It became pretty obvious after a very short time that she didn’t like us. So what se did was stand at my corner at the table and make some soft noise like ‘hmffp,’ and then I had to find out what she meant and obey her. She then looked at the next person, without moving an inch from her taken position, and LOOKED at him/her. If eyes could shout hers would be as loud as Timovieman. I had to poke Luna a few times and tell her what to do because Miss Waitress didn’t say a word. Oh yes, once she said: “Besteck” a few times, which didn’t mean that you should give her the cutlery but that you had to keep it. After dinner she was so fed up with us that she disappeared to the other end of the room and Jazzy or SickBrain had to fetch her to take up our desserts. Pretty amazing.

So basically all we did was eat. Here and there there was some looking at stuff and moving around involved, but that was only to fill the time until the next meal. We basically lived like the wizards in Unseen University, which suited me fine Tongue

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Great photos

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Lucien21 - 21 August 2013 03:44 PM

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Great photos

Thanks. Sorry about the great amount of editing of the post after I had posted it, but it’s better now.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 21 August 2013 03:28 PM

If eyes could shout hers would be as loud as Timovieman. I had to poke Luna a few times and tell her what to do because Miss Waitress didn’t say a word. Oh yes, once she said: “Besteck” a few times

Wait, she talked? Gasp
I didn’t think she said anything all evening…
Then again, it’s hard to speak intelligibly with me shouting from just a few seats away… Tongue

tsa - 21 August 2013 03:28 PM

Here be dragons:

I still feel that we deserved a special guest appearance by Tim Curry reciting ‘Drei Drachen’... Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top