• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 19 June 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Ah, Casablanca... What a great game.

Spam Also, be sure to check the Adventure Game Scene of the Day tomorrow. It will be the best in the history of the whole universe. Spam

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I thought you posted scenes from games you haven’t played Kurufinwe!
Now I’m intrigued about tomorrow’s scene!

Great Rubacava scene with Manny….
(It can also be used in anti-smoking campaigns! Smile )

Best game ever (except Riven).

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2006-06-06

PM

Such a good game. I don’t think the puzzles are very good, and the overall story breaks apart near the end I felt, but the game excels in atmosphere. The music, art style, characters and dialogues are so good that things like story and puzzles - the things which define the genre, don’t matter.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Sefir - 19 June 2012 11:02 AM

I thought you posted scenes from games you haven’t played Kurufinwe!

No, that was last week. Since yesterday, we’ve been back to games I’ve played.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Amazing, amazing game.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 June 2012 10:51 AM

Spam Also, be sure to check the Adventure Game Scene of the Day tomorrow. It will be the best in the history of the whole universe. Spam

Don’t believe him, Sefir.
Kuru Pan

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

What? A little hype never hurts. Not living up to the hype does, but that’s a problem for tomorrow. Tongue

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ooh ..i thought manny was more than just a scene Tongue

Edit: Cant you guys take Joke Cool

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Can I be a contrarian? Nah, I won’t - this is a classic. It’s just that I see many people praise this as the greatest adventure game of all time because for younger gamers it’s probably the first or only adventure game they’ve played. I have a differing view… but it doesn’t negate the quality of this game.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I’ll definitely be crucified over this but I really don’t like this game. I tried playing it for three times by now but I just can’t get into it. I don’t like the way it looks, nor the mood and the story doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. And the interface is a real horror imo. I really should try it a fourth time and try to get past year one but there’s just so much more interesting stuff to do at the moment.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

The first time I played GF (back in October of 2000) I was hooked so much that I escaped from job two or three times just to play it .
Enough said (I never skipped job for any other game), but I’ll just add that I’ve replayed it three or four times and every time I did I enjoyed it immensely (even more than the previous times).

gray pierce - 19 June 2012 08:42 PM

I’ll definitely be crucified over this but I really don’t like this game.

Nobody’s gonna crucify you. I just feel sorry for you: not playing GF is your loss, for sure.

the interface is a real horror imo.

Those commands may seem hard to tackle at first, but I’m very clumsy (Clumsy, with capital “C”!) and I got used to them very quickly.

It was about time you post a screenshot from Sam & Max Hit the Road (or DotT? or Bad Mojo?).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m just interested in finding out which SOMI screen you’ll choose Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I really should try it a fourth time and try to get past year one but there’s just so much more interesting stuff to do at the moment.

Grim Fandango really is a great game, and Year Two (where that scene was taken) is the absolute pinnacle of adventure gaming! Seriously, Year Two is the best part of any adventure game anywhere ever!!!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It saddens me that nobody seems to have seen the point I was trying to make in my original post, namely that most of what made Grim Fandango great was just shamelessly borrowed from Casablanca and a few similar sources.

When I’m in a bad mood, I tend to think that if you take out all the quote-unquote “homage” stuff, all you have left is an okay-ish game (except the forest in year 1 and the entirety of year 3, which are awful) with several particularly obnoxious puzzles. Of course, when I’m in a better mood I revert to thinking the game is a classic, but still… Meh

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 June 2012 01:43 PM

It saddens me that nobody seems to have seen the point I was trying to make in my original post

(I guess) We failed to see the point because comparing Grim Fandango to Casablanca is fairly pointless (that’s my opinion). Casablanca inspired Act 2 a bit, but Grim Fandango still has better puzzles .

Kurufinwe - 20 June 2012 01:43 PM

most of what made Grim Fandango great was just shamelessly borrowed from Casablanca and a few similar sources.

I don’t agree. Although there are references to Rick’s bar and stuff in it, what really makes GF great is the original story of the Land of the Dead, wonderful characters/voiceovers, ingenious puzzles, brilliant humo(u)r, lavish graphics, more than memorable music…

There is far more stuff “borrowed from Casablanca and a few similar sources” in Discworld Noir (I see/consider that also more like homage than “borrowing”).

P.S. Humphrey Bogart has nothing on Manny Calavera.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yep, I love the noir setting and I don’t think either GF or DN is copying anything, they are a tribute with some tongue-in-cheek. Also it is impossible to follow a genre without reminding about the classics of it. For instance doesn’t almost every fantasy game have a bit of LoTR in them?

Grim Fandango, Discworld Noir and Tex Murphy games really show how well noir works with anything: mythology, fantasy and sci-fi, and how brilliantly it suits with humour, still being able to bring us an incredible adventure.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top