• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is it OK to play more than 1 adventure game at once?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2013-08-06

PM

Hi all,

Long time adventure game enthusiast and recently have just gotten back into the genre

Currently playing Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island

Also queued up are
Dark chains of satinav
book of unwritten tales
next big thing

considering playing 2 adventures at once…is this advisable? Do many people do this?

Thanks

Chumley Cool

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well I rarely do it myself, but there is as such nothing wrong with playing two AG simultaneously.
Personally I only do it if I get bored with the game I’m currently playing, then I might put it on hold for a while and play something else, and hopefully get back to the 1st game later. Or on some rare occasions if I’m playing a serious game and is in the mood for something lighter.

But it is all a matter of personal taste and habits, so I will recommend you do whatever you fell like doing. Most AG are however story heavy, so you should consider it similar to reading two books at the same time.

P.s. The games on your list is all games I really liked playing myself, you have a good taste Smile

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I personally like having a couple games going at once - one on each platform. I am currently replaying Beneath a Steel Sky on the pc, playing Superfrog HD on my PS Vita and Catherine on my PS3.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I’m playing 6 ag simultaneously,when i stuck move on to next one that’s making them
longer to finish and helps you stayaway from walkthroughs, keeps experience less tedious
somehow.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I always play at least 2, sometimes more. For the past several months I’ve been doing one indie and one mainstream, with the indie used for short sessions and the mainstream for longer ones. Other times, if I’m playing a relatively heavy title (long game, lots of dialogue, difficult subject matter) I also play a lighter game so I can take breaks.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wow , is there anything i haven’t brought up before !?

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Advie - 07 August 2013 03:39 AM

wow , is there anything i haven’t brought up before !?

I believe you’ve started each and every topic even slightly connected to AGs, but the guy who opened this thread is right on your track (judging by his first day at the AGFs).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m sure playing more than one game is punishable by law. Don’t do it, it only risks your future.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ooh tomimt is being sarcastic , is me it only but i always found your posts, serious ! or lets say.. objective . 

That makes me happy tho Sarcastic

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Usually I play only one or two adventures simultaneously. More would affect the immersion negatively. I may play lots other games at the same though, MMOs, RPGs, strategies and such.

Most often the reason for 2 simultaneous adventures is two different platforms or for example a community playthrough here (I’ve finished the section fast and play something else while waiting for a go to next section).

So, I prefer one at a time, just for the immersion. But if I get a terrible itch some day to start a game, I don’t necessarily force myself to finish the current one. I can finish it after the new game.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I myself play one adventure game at a time, then when I finish it, start another.

I’ve tried playing more than one at a time, didn’t work for me.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I have at the moment seven games in my “currently playing” list. I refuse to give up on Myst IV and Police Quest III; I have no idea why I’m never in the mood to continue them. Also, there’s something special about starting up a new game, watching the intro, playing around with the interface, etc. so I have a tendency to do that when my current project(s) don’t captivate me enough.

Plus, I have around fifty games that I have bought but haven’t started playing. It always feels good to cross one off that list, even if it means I won’t finish it for several months. Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Of course it’s OK to play more than one AG at a time. Just do what nets you the greatest enjoyment. If that’s sticking to a single game, then that’s perfectly fine. If that’s playing 10 AGs at once, then that’s fine too. Whatever works best for you…

Personally, I usually play two adventure games at the same time, one on the PC and one on the DS. Since I have different “time-slots” for playing on the PC and on the DS, this totally works for me.

I tend to play DS games “one at a time”, even if there’s a (rare) non-adventure game in there.
As for PC games, I usually only play one AG at a time, but that sometimes turns to two if there’s a Community Playthrough going on here that I’m following (and I’ve followed most all of them since joining).

I occasionally play non-adventure games at the same time, though, depending on time available for gaming and/or mood and/or need for a break: most often these are sports games, RPGs, (*) or even games like chess, or a locally very popular but otherwise very obscure card game, or the Bejeweled clone on my cell phone.

My reason for keeping the “simultaneous adventure games” to a minimum is the story-driven nature of the games. Taking overly long breaks is detrimental to immersion…

(*) Actually, RPGs tend to take up the spot of an adventure game, being heavily story-driven and all…

harald - 07 August 2013 07:26 AM

Plus, I have around fifty games that I have bought but haven’t started playing. It always feels good to cross one off that list, even if it means I won’t finish it for several months. Tongue

Heh, I only cross them off the list once I’ve completed them. Hence the extremely slow pace…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m a one-adventure-game-at-a-time player, even if it takes me a long time to finish.  If I need a break, I’ll play a casual game.  I also read books one at a time.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

If I play more than one adventure game at a time it means that I am not engaged and probably bored with them.
Normally I have to keep playing a game until I am finished and spend every waking hour on it.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

Sure. There’s no wrong way to play. This is recreation, after all.

Personally, I have found I sometimes enjoy having two games going at the same time if they are very different in story and tone (for example, a Myst game and a Dark Fall game) so that I can pick whichever one I’m in the mood for at the time.

I generally don’t play more than one similarly themed game at once, though, because they start to blur together in my head.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with any way you choose to go about this. It’s just a matter of taste and preference, not objective right/wrong. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top