• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Quiz: Adventure or Non-Adventure?

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

This was a fantastic quiz! I loved the idea behind it. Most excellent work Smile

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

diego - 29 July 2013 05:42 PM

Like Iznogood said, you have 50% chance of getting it right, so shoot anyway! Tongue

Yes, but on the other hand I’m reasonably sure that you are trying to trick me so in reality it’s more like 40%.  Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

RayB - 30 July 2013 01:50 PM

Yes, but on the other hand I’m reasonably sure that you are trying to trick me so in reality it’s more like 40%.  Tongue

I know. OR - I’m trying to trick you into THINKING I’m trying to trick you. Sarcastic

Agustín Cordes - 30 July 2013 08:55 AM

I loved the idea behind it.

Thanx! Originally, I’ve thought of just putting together a bunch of screenshots where you would need to determine adventure games from “intruders”, but then, partly inspired by Fien’s Vamp or Vampire came up with this 50/50 chances format. I think it could very well be the maps under 2. which triggered the idea when I’ve realized how much they look-a-like.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 30 July 2013 02:37 PM

I know. OR - I’m trying to trick you into THINKING I’m trying to trick you. Sarcastic

How long do I have left to post my guesses? I want to double-check several before PM-ing… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 30 July 2013 05:27 PM

How long do I have left to post my guesses? I want to double-check several before PM-ing… Tongue

The quiz started on 29 July 2013 06:23 PM (CET), so you have until 31 July 2013 06:23 PM Tongue If there’re enough interests and demand, I’ll postpone the results gladly.

TimovieMan - 30 July 2013 05:27 PM

Hehehe, exactly.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-08-19

PM

Looking forward to see those results!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Due to some late-minute applicants, the results will be posted in about 3 hours from now. You can send/change your answers until then.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Time’s up!

Sorry for the delay, but there were as much as 18 players this time! (and I’ve probably managed to make again some mistakes with counting the points Shifty Eyed). With Fien joining in, one could have only wished if Trynkyo (where the devil is he?), HandsFree and other quizmasters would have hopped in as well, but at least we’ve had a cameo appearance by zobraks. Tongue

Before anything else, let me amend the two mistakes I’ve made for the pairs:

1. The second screenshot is from Beyond Good & Evil, and the first one is from Shine Runner. If you’re still wondering which one of those I’ve thought as an “adventure”, here’s an excerpt from the Shine Runner’s blurb: “Smash and crash through a destructible world filled with rickety swamp shacks, fishin’ boats, chicken coops, gators, and more.” Grin

The problem is, even though I’ve played Beyond Good & Evil a little bit and knew it had action in it, I wasn’t aware it’s not on AG database, and isn’t tagged as “adventure” on Mobygames. There’s a review on JA, though, but for the reasons above, everyone will get a point for this pair.

3. The screenshot under “a” is one of the earliest pic I’ve gathered, and it was probably because of that, that it totally slipped my mind it’s from The Watchmaker. Later, when I needed to find a pair for it, I thought I should be looking for an adventure, and paired it with The Awakened. Needless to say. everyone gets a point for this one, too, and a special thanks to kate me for reminding me it’s from The Watchmaker.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Now, the statistics. Tongue Apart from #1 and #3, the other pair which was guessed right by everyone is the poor Shannara under #23. The scene from a RPG - Realms of Arkania III: Shadows over Riva didn’t fool anyone. Two more victims that didn’t present trouble to anyone were Malcolm McDowell and his look-a-like in DARKSTAR at #15, and #21 with Amnesia & Hexen 2.

Interestingly, the pair with the least correct guesses were the maps under #2, as only 9 players (50%) guessed right Gilbert Goodmate under “a”. Anvil of Dawn map proved to be a worthy rival. It’s followed by #22, as Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny under “a” proved to be another solid opponent, with 10 people guessing right A Fork in the Tale under “b”. Keepsake & Legend of Grimrock under #11 were another tough one, with 11 people guessing it right. #5, #10, #16 and #24 had 12, and #4, #6, #12 and Bonus under “d” 13 right guesses. For #4, originally I was to crop screenshots both from Arthur’s Knights 2 and Lords of the Realm 2 all the way until only the shields remain, but realized that even the full pictures don’t reveal much.

As for the bonuses, I take full responsibility for only 3 players (TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel and kate me) guessing both of it - even though both Dragon Lore 2 and Timeline are featured in AG database they’re hybrid adventures. Interestingly, majority of those players who guessed 1 of the bonuses right, guessed “d”. The only players other than Tim, LK and kate who guessed “e” right are Kurufinwe and chrissie.

And now - the results. Our own moderator TimovieMan managed to sweep a flawless victory, leaving me and my red herrings in shame. Which is more surprising, as there were no DS games featured. Wink In the spirit of Caption Contests, you win:

A free figure skating lesson!

Only a point shy of a perfect score, it’s Lady Kestrel on the second, and the only pair she didn’t guess is the Wing Commander 3 & Mission Critical one. For that reason, you win:

Star Wars & Star Trek finally together in love!

OneFlesh came at the third place, with 28 points. As one of his two mistakes (the other one was a bonus) was Quake 3/Broken Sword 3, you win:

Evolution of FPS games! ()

As for the rest of the players who all did a really good job, and as it somehow turned out that the quiz went in the sign of knights&chivalry;, you win:

All Medieval Movies! (almost)

http://www.ranker.com/list/all-medieval-movies-or-list-of-medieval-movies/all-genre-movies-lists

http://www.imdb.com/list/cXtWmb1n-cU/

And a soothing melody!

TimovieMan 30
Lady Kestrel 29
OneFlesh 28
kate me 27
SpeedBo 27
Drolin 26
Basculho 26
Gabe 25
wilco 24
Jerry 24
TerminusEst 23
Kurufinwe 22
Iznogood 20
chrissie 20
Fien 18
badlemon 18
RayB 18
Advie 14

1. Shine Runner/Beyond Good & Evil
2. Gilbert Goodmate/Anvil of Dawn
3. The Watchmaker/The Awakened
4. Arthur’s Knights 2/Lords of the Realm 2
5. Arthur’s Knights 2/Gothic II
6. Normality/Duke Nukem 3D
7. MDK/Azrael’s Tear
8. Rex Nebular/Comanche: Maximum Overkill
9. Dune 2000/Ripper
10. London 2012/Paris 1313
11. Keepsake/Legend of Grimrock
12. Kingdom O’ Magic/Warcraft II
13. Culpa Innata/SimCity
14. Wing Commander III/Mission Critical
15. DARKSTAR/Wing Commander IV
16. Simon the Sorcerer 3D/Super Mario 64
17. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (concept art Tongue)/Lost Horizon
18. Morrowind/Journey to the Center of the Earth
19. Oblivion/A Vampyre Story
20. Cruise Ship Tycoon/The Raven
21. Amnesia: The Dark Descent/Hexen II
22. Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny/A Fork in the Tale
23. Shannara/Realms of Arkania 3
24. Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life/Surgeon Simulator 2013 Sarcastic
25. Quake 3/Broken Sword 3
26. Ceville/The Sims: Medieval
27. Silent Hill 4/Zork: Grand Inquisitor
28. Oblivion/Keepsake

Bonus

a Conqueror: A.D. 1086
b Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown
c Defender of the Crown
d Dragon Lore 2
e Timeline

Thank you everyone for playing!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

In my best Manny Calavera voice: ¡Lotería!

Yay, I totally fluked me a victory!!! Grin

Seriously, I just checked again, I only knew 18 with certainty, 8 were “educated guesses” with my bullshit detector working overtime, and 4 were total flukes (including both answers for the bonus question). Tongue

Also: ROFL @ me thinking “The Sims: Medieval” looked like a cool game. Sealed Lips

Also also: “Surgeon Simulator 2013”??? WTF??? Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

TimovieMan - 31 July 2013 04:41 PM

Yay, I totally fluked me a victory!!! Grin

I guess you know an adventure game when you see it Wink

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-08-19

PM

Yay I got 26! Not bad since I guessed almost all the games Tongue

This was a great idea Diego, really happy to be a part of the project!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Hey 20 that is not bad, considering I only knew about 10 and was simply guessing at the rest.

What did annoy me however, is that I got one wrong even though I have played the game but just didn’t recognize the picture, and another wrong where I recognized the picture, but remembered it as being from another game.

Nice Quiz Diego

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 31 July 2013 05:35 PM

Nice Quiz Diego

I really liked how it’s different from most other quizzes… Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes, nice quiz! Thanks

I recognized more non-adventures… but looking at the list I can see why

So “that” picture was from Monty Python! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top