• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Game category updates (and some issues)

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2006-09-17

PM

These games & platforms should be associated in the games database:

iPhone/iPod & iPad
Thumbs Up Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge - Special Edition
Thumbs Up Syberia
Thumbs Up The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Android
Thumbs Up Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered
Thumbs Up Yesterday

There are some potential site issues I spotted too:

Heart If you use the main search or “Games A-Z” to find a title (e.g. Kentucky Route Zero: Act I but there are many other examples), the search results show tags for the correct platforms (in this case PC, Mac, Linux), but upon opening the “Game Info” page the platform only shows “PC”. Also many titles draw a blank here. Why not pull platform info from the same database fields as the search results page? There are some seemingly less common examples where “Game Info” is more comprehensive too (e.g. Syberia & Yesterday). These views really should be consistent and I’d be happy to help get them that way if a permanent solution is devised.

Heart If you go to “Top Reviewed” and then filter to PS3, you get L.A. Noire as a 5 star game. But if you change the filter to PC, it’s nowhere to be seen. Is “Top Reviewed” a static list? It seems like it should be dynamic, since there’s already the static “TOP GAMES” lists. Is there a third data store for platform in the review itself? Cry Cry  Cry  Cry

Heart If you go to “Games A-Z”, there’s no platform filter for Linux (might be a good opportunity to add PS4 and Xbox One too).

Well that’s it for now, hope this can help make Adventure Gamers better!

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Thanks, xlynx.

I’ve updated all the missing platforms you highlighted. I do appreciate when people give us the heads-up, as it’s hard to keep on top of all the updates and ports.

Your other points are noted as well. The games database and filters are ever works-in-progress with known weaknesses. Slowly but surely, we’ll get to ‘em all!

I’m not sure what you mean by this line:

There are some seemingly less common examples where “Game Info” is more comprehensive too (e.g. Syberia & Yesterday).

More comprehensive than what, and in what way?

Joined 2006-09-17

PM

Jackal - 27 July 2013 12:45 PM

More comprehensive than what, and in what way?

I just meant neither data point could be made authoritative without losing data. To make it consistent, you’d either have to go through every game manually, or just bite the bullet and drop some data for the sake of future consistency.

Thanks for associating those games/platforms Smile

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Just to jump in here, as you correctly assumed the site is pulling data from two different tables. There’s platform associations for articles and for games. Unfortunately the way we’re set up we can’t quite jump around between these tables as easily as we’d like.

It does make sense to have it set up this way though. The game entry can be associated with every platform whereas a review can be just for a specific version of the game.

So there’s going to be slight inconsistency sometimes, usually due to games getting released on additional platforms after their initial release. Thanks for pointing these out though so that we can correct it. Smile

Retired AG founder

Joined 2006-09-17

PM

Marek - 27 July 2013 05:14 PM

It does make sense to have it set up this way though. The game entry can be associated with every platform whereas a review can be just for a specific version of the game.

So there’s going to be slight inconsistency sometimes, usually due to games getting released on additional platforms after their initial release.

Thanks for your reply Smile I’m a bit confused though; my first point wasn’t referring to reviews at all. Let’s take an example for clarification. These are what I’m calling entries in the games database. In this case, we have one for DS and one for everything else:

Syberia (DS)
Game Info displays: DS
Search displays: DS

Syberia (all other platforms)
Game Info displays: iPad, iPhone/iPod Touch, PC, Xbox
Search displays: PC iPhone iPad

Both the ‘Game Info’ and search result data can list platforms, even for games that do not have any associated articles/reviews, such as Aaron Crane: Paintings Come Alive.

Therefore it seems Game Info could show a comma separated concatenation of the same platforms displayed by search without interfering with the ability to have platform specific reviews. Or is that what you meant by “Unfortunately the way we’re set up we can’t quite jump around between these tables as easily as we’d like.”—That you agree, but it’s difficult under the current architecture?

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The only discrepancy in your example is that the search filter doesn’t include Xbox for Syberia. And that’s because it’s the actual Xbox and not Xbox 360. The system is designed to recognize those as separate platforms, and to keep our search filters reasonably concise, we limited them to the current generation consoles. Probably not too many people out there asking themselves how many first-gen Xbox games exist.

Now, an argument could be made that a single “Xbox” filter should yield ALL Xbox-family games (and PlayStation, Wii, etc.), but that’s why it works the way it does at present.

The DS example is unrelated to anything. DS games are deliberately given separate entries because they are inherently much different games than any other platform. For all intents and purposes the PC/Xbox/iPad versions of Syberia are the same game. DS version: much different animal.

Joined 2006-09-17

PM

I wasn’t trying to say anything about DS, Xbox or Syberia. The example was entirely to demonstrate site structure.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Other than correctly pointing out that reviews have their own platform designations unrelated to the game info pages, anything you were trying to demonstrate with your two Syberia examples is lost on me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top