• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tex Murphy on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2003-11-19

PM

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

If I’m reading correctly Two guys space project has 1500 more backers than Tex Murphy nut the average plegde is much bigger in the Tex kickstarter. I think it has something to do with fans getting desperate to have a new game (like me…) or the trust they have in the project (the tex murphy presentation is more detailed).

Some projects can have spikes in donations in the middle of the kickstarter, like when chris avellone joined the wasteland 2 project or when Repulique announced a PC version, its really a matter of having the right updates that fans want in store.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Live LP of Under A Killing Moon, in case anyone’s interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/sbenrap

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-09-06

PM

Does anyone know if anything like this will come up again? Will they never try to develop another Tex Murphy if this one doesn’t enough funds? I really hope that’s not the case.

Here Lies Guybrush Threepwood.
Why didn’t you buy his fine leather jackets?

—The epitaph that won me a free Telltale Game.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m pretty sure that’s the end of the road. They couldn’t find a publisher to fund it. They couldn’t make enough money for it through casual games. So if even the fans aren’t interested in seeing it happen, they’ll probably just give up. Not to sound dramatic but I’d say it’s literally now or never.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

I have never played a Tex Murphy game, but their kickstarter has caught my interest, so maybe I’ll check them out Smile. Still, I’m a devout Space Quest fan, so that is #1 for me right now.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

spacezoomer - 20 May 2012 07:03 PM

Does anyone know if anything like this will come up again? Will they never try to develop another Tex Murphy if this one doesn’t enough funds? I really hope that’s not the case.

Actually, they’re committed to making a new Tex whether they raise the funds or not.  But it would obviously be a much smaller scale production if they have to fund it themselves. 

To those worried about publicity, it should definitely begin gearing up in the foreseeable future.  They really didn’t do much to coincide with the actual KS launch, but plan to do more soon.

Our own feature should be out within the week.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

Jackal - 20 May 2012 08:43 PM

Actually, they’re committed to making a new Tex whether they raise the funds or not.  But it would obviously be a much smaller scale production if they have to fund it themselves.

It did seem like that was the case at first. Originally they were planning on making the next Tex game anyway, but decided to make it bigger with the help of Kickstarter. Chris Jones posted on the following on March 20:

“We made a decision within the past few months that now was the time to complete the Tex Storyline. We could not wait any longer. We agreed that we needed to finish the story, although it had to be a more “modest” game design since Big Finish Games is a small gaming studio. However, with the recent Kickstarter success stories for other Adventure Games - Double Fine Adventure & Wasteland 2 - we saw an opportunity to create a game of a larger scale.”

However, Courtney of Big Finish Games sent me the following in an e-mail when the Kickstarter launched:

“The Kickstarter campaign goal is $450,000 - we chose this goal based on what we actually needed to get the game done. If we do not get the money, we cannot do the next game.”

So it sounds like Project Fedora will NOT be made if the Kickstarter isn’t funded.

Let’s all pledge as much as we can so that the game is as good as The Pandora Directive! :-)

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

50% of target reached! Over halfway there! Tex is back, for sure!... As long as we can get another 2500 backers over the next three weeks! Smile

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Pledged at the $30 tier. Looking forward to this one! These Kickstarter games are a bargain for the people that just want to stick to the lower tiers (assuming the games come out and meet expectations). It’s great.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ll only pledge if the game is promised to be DRM-free. I noticed that question is among the FAQ on the Tex site but can’t get the answer to show for some reason. Anyone had better luck?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yep, DRM-free. DLC-free too. Watch update #4.

Oops! Should be update #4, not 5.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Adventure Games Forever - 21 May 2012 12:29 AM

However, Courtney of Big Finish Games sent me the following in an e-mail when the Kickstarter launched:

“The Kickstarter campaign goal is $450,000 - we chose this goal based on what we actually needed to get the game done. If we do not get the money, we cannot do the next game.”

So it sounds like Project Fedora will NOT be made if the Kickstarter isn’t funded.

Certainly Project Fedora, as proposed on Kickstarter, won’t get done if they don’t raise the funds.  But they still plan to make “a” new Tex game regardless.  If you don’t believe me, you can wait to hear it directly from Aaron Conners when our article comes out.  Grin But really, no one wants a scaled-back Tex, so yeah, let’s hope they make it.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2003-11-19

PM

I’m reaching out to various gaming websites to get some more coverage.  I’m optmistic but not counting my chickens before they hatch and pushing hard! I encourage others to back this and get the word out! Tex’s life depends on it!

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

I’ve got to say, I’m a whole lot more excited at the prospect of exploring Chandler Avenue again than I thought I’d be!

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top